Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > RGB to S-video converter for using HDTV as computer monitor?

RGB to S-video converter for using HDTV as computer monitor?

Mackie

A pal of mine with low sales resistance went out and against advice,
bought a Wal-Mart special; an HP Pavilion "Slimline" with No S-video
and HDMI outputs. According to the specifications for this HP S3713W,
the video/graphics are all on the motherboard . . .

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...roduct=3870526

Furthermore, though there is in her "Slimline" one available slot
provided to accept a "replacement" graphics card (for whichever model
would have such a card) according to the manual, it will accept only
"low profile" cards, and even at that they warn it still might not
fit, so as to allow the inputs and outputs be exposed at the opening.
And since for her computer, this would not be a card replacement,
those "cables" and plugs they refer to would be who-knows-where on the
motherboard, or even hard-wired to it.

So now I'm wondering about something like this RGB to S-video
converter . . .

http://www.js-technology.com/product...products_id=34

My friend is largely blind, but she can see images and text on a large
screen. My question is this: would such a converter enable video
output from her computer to a large 42" LCD HDTV--and if so, would the
mouse function be operative on that large screen same as on the 19"
LCD monitor that came with her computer? Most importantly, would she
get a full 42" display of her desktop and applications?

Sure hope somebody can help. I'd really like to be able to bring her
some good news, despite her screw-up. She got it cheap! Maybe she can
have her "BigASS TV" computer monitor and keep eating cake too?
--
JM

almostbob

many lcdtv have a vga port as well as hdmi & svideo hiding somewhere, if it
does its just a connector cable from local geekstore to do the connection, &
yes you should be able to set it a full 42 inch wide, & mouse etc works

--
_ _
"Mackie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>A pal of mine with low sales resistance went out and against advice,
> bought a Wal-Mart special; an HP Pavilion "Slimline" with No S-video
> and HDMI outputs. According to the specifications for this HP S3713W,
> the video/graphics are all on the motherboard . . .
>
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...roduct=3870526
>
> Furthermore, though there is in her "Slimline" one available slot
> provided to accept a "replacement" graphics card (for whichever model
> would have such a card) according to the manual, it will accept only
> "low profile" cards, and even at that they warn it still might not
> fit, so as to allow the inputs and outputs be exposed at the opening.
> And since for her computer, this would not be a card replacement,
> those "cables" and plugs they refer to would be who-knows-where on the
> motherboard, or even hard-wired to it.
>
> So now I'm wondering about something like this RGB to S-video
> converter . . .
>
> http://www.js-technology.com/product...products_id=34
>
> My friend is largely blind, but she can see images and text on a large
> screen. My question is this: would such a converter enable video
> output from her computer to a large 42" LCD HDTV--and if so, would the
> mouse function be operative on that large screen same as on the 19"
> LCD monitor that came with her computer? Most importantly, would she
> get a full 42" display of her desktop and applications?
>
> Sure hope somebody can help. I'd really like to be able to bring her
> some good news, despite her screw-up. She got it cheap! Maybe she can
> have her "BigASS TV" computer monitor and keep eating cake too?
> --
> JM

Just Me

On Feb 24, 10:44*pm, "almostbob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> many lcdtv have a vga port as well as hdmi & svideo hiding somewhere, if it
> does its just a connector cable from local geekstore to do the connection, &
> yes you should be able to set it a full 42 inch wide, & mouse etc works

Ah, Great! Thanks a bunch AlmostBob.
--
JM
http://jpdavid.blogspot.com/