Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > Blocking a user by MAC address in ISA Server 2006

Blocking a user by MAC address in ISA Server 2006

Kiwi

Is it possible to block internet access to unauthorised users based on the
MAC address of the workstation?

I have checked Firewall Policy rules and could only find All Users and
Authenticated Users

Thanks

Ram

Tyler Cobb

Ram,

ISA Server 2006 cannot filter traffic by MAC address. However, a plethora of
hardware devices (switches, routers, etc) and software products are capable
of doing this for you. Exclusive MAC address filtering isn't the best
answer, in my opinion, as MAC addresses can be spoofed quite easily and only
a very small office could receive any benefit from doing an inclusive MAC
filtering strategy.

What exactly is the problem? I specialize in security and would be happy to
help you any way I can. If you could describe your network scenario to me
along with who is gaining unauthorized access to Internet resources and how
they're believed to be doing it, preferably through email, I'd be able to
come up with more specific solutions.

Sincerely,

Tyler Cobb
MCSA 2003: Security

"Kiwi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is it possible to block internet access to unauthorised users based on the
> MAC address of the workstation?
>
> I have checked Firewall Policy rules and could only find All Users and
> Authenticated Users
>
> Thanks
>
> Ram

syed.kamran2000 syed.kamran2000 is offline
Junior Member

you can block users by his mac add. but you have to use third party isa plugin for it. which is Sygate Personal Firewal.