Velocity Reviews > General Computer Discussion > Hardware > Thinking about building a new machine this summer....

Thinking about building a new machine this summer....

bigal bigal is offline
Senior Member
bigal's Avatar
Location: Northern Virginia, USA

.....but it will be an AMD computer so no suggestions on Intel CPUs are requested. I am thinking about using an existing case, 750W PSU and perhaps an optical drive (all spares) to build out a gaming machine capable of driving a new 25" LCD I picked up recently. I need to save a few bucks first, but I will need a Phenom II CPU, a motherboard, RAM, Hard Drive(s), CPU cooler and perhaps another Vista 64-bit OS. I need suggestions on these components - especially which motherboard works best with the new Phenom II's, and what RAM is both a good deal and works well. Oh yeah - I need a video card too, but perhaps only one so it needs to be close to the top of the line so it can drive this large display at 1900 X 1200 with no issues on Call of Duty 4.

I welcome your suggestions on hardware and keep in mind that I prefer buying stuff from Newegg.com over here in the states.