Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can most CELL PHONES send an E-MAIL...???

Can most CELL PHONES send an E-MAIL...???

taylorleesa0@gmail.com

Hi... some of my friends are able to send an E-MAIL to my PC and some
say that they cannot do it? Some will claim that with their phone,
where you put in the cell phone # it won't let you put in letters, as
in an email address.

OK... here are a few questions? Can any cell phone capable of sending
a TEXT message also send out E-MAILS? ... of course provided they are
given the correct email addy and it's entered properly.

I would assum these people having problems bringing up LETTERS instead
of numbers just has something to do with a SHIFT key or something.

Any tips would be appreciated here but in the nutshell, can all cell
phones send emails to a PC?

Thanks

LEESA (I)

Centre Parting

> Hi... some of my friends are able to send an E-MAIL to my PC and some
> say that they cannot do it? Some will claim that with their phone,
> where you put in the cell phone # it won't let you put in letters, as
> in an email address.
>
> OK... here are a few questions? Can any cell phone capable of sending
> a TEXT message also send out E-MAILS? ... of course provided they are
> given the correct email addy and it's entered properly.

Nope, not at all.
It needs to have an email client on it - so needs to be a smartphone or a
Blackberry.

> I would assum these people having problems bringing up LETTERS instead
> of numbers just has something to do with a SHIFT key or something.

Bringing them up in what ?

> Any tips would be appreciated here but in the nutshell, can all cell
> phones send emails to a PC?
>
> Thanks
>
> LEESA (I)

Mike Easter

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> some of my friends are able to send an E-MAIL to my PC and some
> say that they cannot do it?

Correct.

> Some will claim that with their phone,
> where you put in the cell phone # it won't let you put in letters, as
> in an email address.

That isn't a very good explanation of the problem/difference. Not good at
all.

> OK... here are a few questions? Can any cell phone capable of sending
> a TEXT message also send out E-MAILS?

No.

> ... of course provided they are
> given the correct email addy and it's entered properly.

Still no.

> I would assum these people having problems bringing up LETTERS instead
> of numbers just has something to do with a SHIFT key or something.

The letter/number 'problem' isn't the essence of the difference.

> Any tips would be appreciated here but in the nutshell, can all cell
> phones send emails to a PC?

No. That is...

.... no.

Most cellphones are mostly like landlines talking to other phones with
voice or text. Some cellphones are more like computers which connect to
the internet and email.

(Typical) Phonetext messages are not email.

--
Mike Easter

doS

long ass answer for someone who didn't undersdtand the question

news:go3087$r1d$(E-Mail Removed)...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> some of my friends are able to send an E-MAIL to my PC and some
>> say that they cannot do it?

> Correct.
>
>> Some will claim that with their phone,
>> where you put in the cell phone # it won't let you put in letters, as
>> in an email address.

> That isn't a very good explanation of the problem/difference. Not good at
> all.
>
>> OK... here are a few questions? Can any cell phone capable of sending
>> a TEXT message also send out E-MAILS?

> No.
>
>> ... of course provided they are
>> given the correct email addy and it's entered properly.

> Still no.
>
>> I would assum these people having problems bringing up LETTERS instead
>> of numbers just has something to do with a SHIFT key or something.

> The letter/number 'problem' isn't the essence of the difference.
>
>> Any tips would be appreciated here but in the nutshell, can all cell
>> phones send emails to a PC?

> No. That is...
>
> ... no.
>
> Most cellphones are mostly like landlines talking to other phones with
> voice or text. Some cellphones are more like computers which connect to
> the internet and email.
>
> (Typical) Phonetext messages are not email.
>

> --
> Mike Easter

Evan Platt

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 01:14:59 -0800, John H. Guillory
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Actually, until AT&T Changed things, my cheaper nokia could
>send/receive e-mails via sms messages.... Your e-mail address was
>originally your phone number @mms.cingular.com or something like
>that...

That's not technically an e-mail, that's a MMS. E-mail to text
gateway.

Centre Parting

John H. Guillory wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 08:30:56 -0000, "Centre Parting"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> OK... here are a few questions? Can any cell phone capable of
>>> sending a TEXT message also send out E-MAILS? ... of course
>>> provided they are given the correct email addy and it's entered
>>> properly.

>> Nope, not at all.
>> It needs to have an email client on it - so needs to be a smartphone
>> or a Blackberry.

> Actually, until AT&T Changed things, my cheaper nokia could
> send/receive e-mails via sms messages.... Your e-mail address was
> originally your phone number @mms.cingular.com or something like
> that...

Did it work both ways ?

Whiskers

On 2009-02-25, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[...]

> OK... here are a few questions? Can any cell phone capable of sending
> a TEXT message also send out E-MAILS? ... of course provided they are
> given the correct email addy and it's entered properly.

No.

> I would assum these people having problems bringing up LETTERS instead
> of numbers just has something to do with a SHIFT key or something.

No.

> Any tips would be appreciated here

If the handset has an email program (or web browser, if a webmail service
is to be used) 'built in' or downloadable to it, and the user has a mobile
phone contract that includes 'data' and an internet connection, then
sending and receiving email is probably possible. Once the user has set
things up and learned how to do it, of course. Otherwise, it isn't.

> but in the nutshell, can all cell
> phones send emails to a PC?

No.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Centre Parting

John H. Guillory wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 10:37:50 -0000, "Centre Parting"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> John H. Guillory wrote:
>>> On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 08:30:56 -0000, "Centre Parting"
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Did it work both ways ?
>>

> It used to, its supposed to still work, but before I bought my
> blackberry, something acted up and they put me on a new plan where I
> use the blackberry to get my e-mail via a client and via blackberry
> protocol.... You used to even at one time be able to choose a
> user-name to use as your e-mail address, such that I could have
> (E-Mail Removed) or something like that go to my phone's
> MMS message... Then when I replied to it, it'd automatically go to
> their e-mail.... I forgot at the time how to just write an outgoing
> e-mail, the easiest thing to do was once you had it working, e-mail
> your cell phone then read the message and use it as a template for
> writing outgoing e-mails.....

Cool.

DevilsPGD

In message <(E-Mail Removed)> "Centre Parting"
<(E-Mail Removed)> was claimed to have wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Hi... some of my friends are able to send an E-MAIL to my PC and some
>> say that they cannot do it? Some will claim that with their phone,
>> where you put in the cell phone # it won't let you put in letters, as
>> in an email address.
>>
>> OK... here are a few questions? Can any cell phone capable of sending
>> a TEXT message also send out E-MAILS? ... of course provided they are
>> given the correct email addy and it's entered properly.

>Nope, not at all.
>It needs to have an email client on it - so needs to be a smartphone or a
>Blackberry.

Most mobile phones have email clients too -- I honestly can't remember
the last one I owned that didn't, but definitely the Motorola Razr
(original and Razr2 V9) and some random Sony Walkman phone both had IMAP
clients.