Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > How did I access the internet with my modem powered down? Strange event...

How did I access the internet with my modem powered down? Strange event...

Mark C

I seemed to have accessed the internet while my ADSL modem was
switched off at the wall.

It is puzzling and very perturbing!

I have a laptop with ethernet only and no Wifi, connected to an
ethernet switch connected to an ADSL modem connected to the phone
line.

A bit before 7pm the power went out (1). The lines company says
"birdstrike". I switch off the laptop and the modem at the wall in
case of a spike when the power comes back on. The laptop remains on,