Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Re: Acquired a "m"

Re: Acquired a "m"

John Doe

"Ben" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In my FF browser, I all of a sudden acquired an "m" in the URL
> box, e.g. http://m.www.yahoo.com. Does anyone know what this is,
> or where it may have come from?

Hmm. For what it's worth. I seem to recall that someone else posted
recently that they had several unwanted characters in the URL box.

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Ben wrote:
> "John Doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:y1%ol.13558$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Ben" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> In my FF browser, I all of a sudden acquired an "m" in the URL
>>> box, e.g. http://m.www.yahoo.com. Does anyone know what this is,
>>> or where it may have come from?

>> Hmm. For what it's worth. I seem to recall that someone else posted
>> recently that they had several unwanted characters in the URL box.

> I have an idea that ask.com put it there. I've done all I can do to get it
> out, running my Malwarebytes' and Avast. Nothing found. I am just short of
> a system restore.

close FF, then click on the windows start button, then
run and enter:

firefox.exe -safe-mode

this will start FF in safe mode, with all addons and
themes disabled. Does the problem continue? Does the
problem also happen in IE?

help!!!!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Ben wrote:
> "Ben" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ecom...
>> "Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:go20a7$8ca$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> close FF, then click on the windows start button, then run and enter:
>>>
>>> firefox.exe -safe-mode
>>>
>>> this will start FF in safe mode, with all addons and themes disabled.
>>> Does the problem continue? Does the problem also happen in IE?

>> Thanks for the reply Peter. I think I found it. I uninstalled Sandboxie,
>> and it went away. I have been using that program a long time, and never
>> had that to happen before.

>> I reinstalled Sandboxie, and by golly, the "m" popped up again. I guess I
>> just won't Sandboxie anymore.

then go and ask them how to work around it:
http://sandboxie.com/phpbb/

Ben wrote:
> I found it! I dug, and dug, and finally found it buried in www.yahoo.com
> cookies, as m.www.yahoo.com. I blocked it being set, and the problem went
> away, so it wasn't Sandboxie after all. I guess yahoo was the culprit who
> else sets their cookies?
>

> "Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote in message news:go22lt$6v7$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ben wrote:
>>> "Ben" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ecom...

>> then go and ask them how to work around it: http://sandboxie.com/phpbb/

glad to hear you worked it out. Then maybe you should
contact yahoo and complain to them about this.