Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Linux at Harvey Norman

Linux at Harvey Norman

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

I see in the latest Harvey Norman brochure five different models shown under
a banner proclaiming "NETBOOKS - your perfect travelling companion": three
Asus Eee models, an HP Mini-Note, and a Toshiba NB100, and all with the
requisite 3-figure price tags.

The cheapest one is the Eee 701SD, at $498. Compared to my 701 bought year
before last, this has double the persistent storage (8GiB versus 4GiB), but
otherwise seems the same (still 512MiB RAM). Oh, and it's advertised with
"Linux OS".

Nice to see another major retailer realizing there's a market for this.

Matty F

On Feb 25, 10:51 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

> The cheapest one is the Eee 701SD, at $498. Compared to my 701 bought year
> before last, this has double the persistent storage (8GiB versus 4GiB), but
> otherwise seems the same (still 512MiB RAM). Oh, and it's advertised with
> "Linux OS".

Is the usable screen bigger than the 701? My friend's 701 has been
excellent to use, especially once he added a USB mouse.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message
<(E-Mail Removed)>, Matty F
wrote:

> On Feb 25, 10:51 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>
>> The cheapest one is the Eee 701SD, at $498. Compared to my 701 bought
>> year before last, this has double the persistent storage (8GiB versus
>> 4GiB), but otherwise seems the same (still 512MiB RAM). Oh, and it's
>> advertised with "Linux OS".

> Is the usable screen bigger than the 701?

I don't there's any other difference from the 701.