Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Outlook 2007

Outlook 2007

John

Hello,

I'm using outlook 2007 and when someone replies to my email it comes
back with a square or other character when there is a word with a ' in
it.

Example:

That's

comes to me as:

That[]s

Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Dan C

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 09:45:49 -0800, John wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm using outlook 2007 and when someone replies to my email it comes
> back with a square or other character when there is a word with a ' in
> it.
>
> Example:
>
> That's
>
> comes to me as:
>
> That[]s
>
> Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Easiest way is to format your hard drive.

Mike Easter

John wrote:

> I'm using outlook 2007 and when someone replies to my email it comes
> back with a square or other character when there is a word with a ' in
> it.
>
> Example:
>
> That's
>
> comes to me as:
>
> That[]s
>
> Does anyone know how I can fix this?

The square (not your left+right bracket) is an indication of a
non-printing character.

The mechanisms for the occurrence of a nonprinting character are myriad -
but basically revolve around a 'discrepancy' between the characterset used
by one person and the characterset used by another.

For example, if everyone used plaintext 7 bit ascii to communicate with
each other and display, there wouldn't be any of those squares. Similarly
if everyone used compatible unicode, there wouldn't be any problem; or if
everyone used the same windows charset (which is probably what MS would
like), then there wouldn't be a problem.

When you use a MS office messaging client, you are using a very MS-centric
app. When you use that to communicate with other people who aren't
MSOffice-centric, it is possible for you to be the source of the problem
on your end.

There are several ways -characters - which to make the apostrophe of
which you speak. The ascii one is to use a single 'dumb' quote, which is
also used for the prime character also used to designate/abbreviate
feet/foot. There is also the glyph which is the single quote which comes
in a right and left version.

If one party is trying to use a character, such as a right single quote
glyph, while the other party can't display that, the result is going to be
the nonprinting square.

--
Mike Easter

VanguardLH

John wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm using outlook 2007 and when someone replies to my email it comes
> back with a square or other character when there is a word with a ' in
> it.
>
> Example:
>
> That's
>
> comes to me as:
>
> That[]s
>
> Does anyone know how I can fix this?

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/or...364421033.aspx

VanguardLH

John wrote:

> Ok - here is some more information.
>
> I send a message like this to a person who uses Yahoo mail.
>
> I'm going golf.
>
> When the person reads the mail on their side it looks fine. However,
> when they reply to my email, the message comes back like this:
>
> I[]m going golf

Apparently this problem occurs with the same sender. Did you ever ask
that person what they use for an e-mail client and what encoding it uses
(you could also check by looking at the headers).