Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Not there yet

Re: Not there yet

Aardvark

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 10:13:35 -0600, §ñühw€£f wrote:

> philo <(E-Mail Removed)> pinched out a steaming pile
> of<(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
>> Since I've slowly upgraded my hardware to only semi-obsolete junk
>>
>> I figured it was time to install a few of the newer versions of Linux

>> give me the best use of my NVidia GeForce 8400
>>

>> I was happy to find that Mandriva recognized the card ok and even

> installed
>> NVidia's own Linux driver.
>>
>> Next I decided to install Debian and that went pretty well
>>
>> but I could not configure the video to give me the native resolution

> of 1440
>> x 900 for my monitor...
>>
>> however by default it setup the video with a very nice 1680 x

> 1050...so the
>> aspect ratio was still fine.
>>

>> But what the heck, I figured why not go to NVidia's site to see

> what's
>> there...
>> so I downloaded their video driver for Linux and went to install it...
>> but the installer needed a new kernel to support the card...and even

> offered
>> to compile a new one.
>>

>> Well...Linux has sure come a long way since the first time I tried it

> about
>> 8 years ago!
>>

>> Of course when I went to compile the new kernel, my machine had the

> wrong
>> version of gcc
>> and the compilation failed
>>
>> LOL
>>

> D00d...messin with the korn-ol is only for *professionals*...
>
> Why are you installing multiple distros on the same machine? Pick one
> that works and make it look how you want it? KDE can be made to look
> like any number of retro OS's.
>
> ^_^

Like XP

hwf

In message <tTCol.17130$(E-Mail Removed)2>, Aardvark wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 10:13:35 -0600, §ñühw€£f wrote:
>
> > philo <(E-Mail Removed)> pinched out a steaming pile
> > of<(E-Mail Removed)>:
> >
> >> Since I've slowly upgraded my hardware to only semi-obsolete junk
> >>
> >> I figured it was time to install a few of the newer versions of Linux

> >> give me the best use of my NVidia GeForce 8400
> >>

> >> I was happy to find that Mandriva recognized the card ok and even

> > installed
> >> NVidia's own Linux driver.
> >>
> >> Next I decided to install Debian and that went pretty well
> >>
> >> but I could not configure the video to give me the native resolution

> > of 1440
> >> x 900 for my monitor...
> >>
> >> however by default it setup the video with a very nice 1680 x

> > 1050...so the
> >> aspect ratio was still fine.
> >>

> >> But what the heck, I figured why not go to NVidia's site to see

> > what's
> >> there...
> >> so I downloaded their video driver for Linux and went to install it...
> >> but the installer needed a new kernel to support the card...and even

> > offered
> >> to compile a new one.
> >>

> >> Well...Linux has sure come a long way since the first time I tried it

> > about
> >> 8 years ago!
> >>

> >> Of course when I went to compile the new kernel, my machine had the

> > wrong
> >> version of gcc
> >> and the compilation failed
> >>
> >> LOL
> >>

> > D00d...messin with the korn-ol is only for *professionals*...
> >
> > Why are you installing multiple distros on the same machine? Pick one
> > that works and make it look how you want it? KDE can be made to look
> > like any number of retro OS's.
> >
> > ^_^

> Like XP

Yeah...IIRC its called Redmond something...I used to always set it to
classic Mac since it was the least threatening

-James Madison

Aardvark

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 14:19:35 -0700, §ñühw¤£f wrote:

> In message <tTCol.17130$(E-Mail Removed)2>, Aardvark wrote:
>> On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 10:13:35 -0600, §ñühw€£f wrote:
>>
>> > philo <(E-Mail Removed)> pinched out a steaming pile

>> > installed

>> > of 1440

>> > 1050...so the

>> > what's
>> > offered

>> > about

>> > wrong

>> > D00d...messin with the korn-ol is only for *professionals*...
>> >
>> > Why are you installing multiple distros on the same machine? Pick one
>> > that works and make it look how you want it? KDE can be made to look
>> > like any number of retro OS's.
>> >
>> > ^_^

>> Like XP
>>

> Yeah...IIRC its called Redmond something...I used to always set it to
> classic Mac since it was the least threatening

I read of a bloke who built a new machine for his dad. The dad was
vehemently against his son installing any OS but Windows, which he had
become used to.

The solution? The son installed Mandriva with KDE using the Redmond theme
and told his dad it was Vista. The dad happily accepted this and has been
using the machine with no trouble ever since.

Re: Not there yet hwf Computer Support 1 02-24-2009 10:36 PM
Re: Not there yet Evan Platt Computer Support 1 02-23-2009 08:20 PM
Yet another book recommendation, but for someone who can program and yet does not the terminology well Berehem C Programming 4 04-28-2005 05:25 PM
MCSE Outsourcing: There is hope, yet! Keyboard Cowboy MCSE 2 07-03-2003 01:06 PM

Advertisments