Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > No boot, just shuts down before P.O.S.T.

No boot, just shuts down before P.O.S.T.

1D1OT

My self-built Win XP Pro MCE machine will not boot. The BioStar splash
screen comes on, but then the machine shuts down before the P.O.S.T. data
displays.

Biostar mobo, P-4 3.0 GB dual core, 2 GB RAM, 80 GB Hitachi IDE HDD, one LG
DVD IDE combo drive. multi-slot card reader (no cards inserted), no floppy
drive.

I've unplugged all periphals, including the LAN cable. The machine is part
of a 6 box LAN. All was fine at last shutdown after an update of MS
Defender.

1D1OT

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Try a different power supply

Thanks for the quick reply. I found the problem, but I'm worried about
the ramifications. May have burned out the CPU. See the pic:
http://flickr.com/photos/joearnold/3303889951/sizes/o/

The metal retainer didn't touch any conductors, but the CPU may have
overheated. I don't have another plastic cooler mount to try. Any
suggestions?

1D1OT

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Does the CPU look or smell burned?
>
> It (hopefully) shut down safely with built-in thermal protection.
>
> If it does not look or smell burned...
>
> once your cpu cooler is properly installed...you may very well be fine

I've only got the side panel off now. It's the comp on the top shelf, left
side (with the 10" side panel fan). Gotta get it down and to the workbench
and see what goes. Or went.
Here's a pic of the setup:
http://flickr.com/photos/joearnold/2879849236/sizes/l/

Joe

VanguardLH

1D1OT wrote:

> My self-built Win XP Pro MCE machine will not boot. The BioStar splash
> screen comes on, but then the machine shuts down before the P.O.S.T. data
> displays.
>
> Biostar mobo, P-4 3.0 GB dual core, 2 GB RAM, 80 GB Hitachi IDE HDD, one LG
> DVD IDE combo drive. multi-slot card reader (no cards inserted), no floppy
> drive.
>
> I've unplugged all periphals, including the LAN cable. The machine is part
> of a 6 box LAN. All was fine at last shutdown after an update of MS
> Defender.

See replies to your SAME post that you MULTI-posted to
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general.

Learn to cross-post:

A point not made is that N multiposted copies will consume N times the
disk space for each of the separate copies of the same post.
Crossposted messages have just *one* copy on the server with links in
the newsgroups back to the same single copy. Multiposting wastes disk
space on the server. Yes, your post may be small but remember that you
consume N times the space on one server and then do so again on all the
newsgroups servers worldwide. You waste more bandwidth getting N copies
of your multiposted message distributed to all the newsgroups servers
worldwide. Cross-posting has just one copy of the message on an NNTP
server, and only one copy gets propagated to other NNTP servers.

To those visiting the newsgroups, crossposting helps them see ALL the
replies from those in the other RELATED newsgroup to which you linked
your post. That way, they don't waste their time duplicating similar
replies.

Don't cross-post to more groups than needed if at all. Many consider
cross-posting to more than 4 groups as rude and may filter out your
post. The more groups you add, the less likely that they are related,
the less accurate or focused are the targeted groups, or some of the
included groups may already encompassed by another included but more
general group. If the are subgroups under a topic, choose whether you
will be specific or general in the targeted groups to which you post.
Don't go shotgunning your post across multiple groups trying to capture
as large an audience as possible as you will offend netizens with your
poor aim.

1D1OT

"VanguardLH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gnv338$o7o$(E-Mail Removed)...

> See replies to your SAME post that you MULTI-posted to
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general.
>
> Learn to cross-post:

Hey thanks. I intend to learn how to cross-post, and why. Appreciate the
advice.
Joe Arnold

1D1OT

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Looks great...
> all you need is a couple more monitors <G>

LOL Another brain would serve me better.

chuckcar

"1D1OT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:aCDol.7681$(E-Mail Removed):

> "philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Try a different power supply

> Thanks for the quick reply. I found the problem, but I'm worried about
> the ramifications. May have burned out the CPU. See the pic:
> http://flickr.com/photos/joearnold/3303889951/sizes/o/
>
> The metal retainer didn't touch any conductors, but the CPU may have
> overheated. I don't have another plastic cooler mount to try. Any
> suggestions?

You're CPU isn't toast. *Nothing* at all would happen if that was the
case. You get past the BIOS so it's absolute it's working fine.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Aardvark

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 23:47:38 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

> You're CPU isn't toast.

Makes NO sense whatsoever.

Re: Workerprocess shuts down? J-T ASP .Net 0 05-26-2005 09:34 PM
Workerprocess shuts down? J-T ASP .Net 0 05-26-2005 09:28 PM
Shut down Windows XP - order which it shuts down applications Bun Mui Computer Support 2 05-16-2004 09:10 PM
Static electricity shuts down ports bigE Cisco 2 02-17-2004 04:00 PM
System shuts down on start Charlie Bress Computer Support 1 07-19-2003 02:51 PM

Advertisments