Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > PC Card or USB ?

PC Card or USB ?

Michel S.

Hi !

I'm looking for a wireless adapter - I'm considering the D-Link
offerings. Since it's for a laptop, I have to choose between a PC Card
or a USB adapter. Since the USB device may also be used with a
desktop, it is my preferred choice at first glance. But I'm wondering
if there are some drawbacks to this solution.

Is there any performance/stability/reliability/ease of use difference
between a PC Card unit and an USB device ? Something else to consider
? (eg: use of an USB hub ?)

Thanks.

Jack \(MVP\)

Hi
May be this can Help: http://www.ezlan.net/faq#wcard
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Michel S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi !
>
> I'm looking for a wireless adapter - I'm considering the D-Link
> offerings. Since it's for a laptop, I have to choose between a PC Card
> or a USB adapter. Since the USB device may also be used with a
> desktop, it is my preferred choice at first glance. But I'm wondering
> if there are some drawbacks to this solution.
>
> Is there any performance/stability/reliability/ease of use difference
> between a PC Card unit and an USB device ? Something else to consider
> ? (eg: use of an USB hub ?)
>
> Thanks.

Michel S.

Thanks a lot !

Après mure réflexion, Jack (MVP) a écrit :
> Hi
> May be this can Help: http://www.ezlan.net/faq#wcard
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Michel S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi !
>>
>> I'm looking for a wireless adapter - I'm considering the D-Link
>> offerings. Since it's for a laptop, I have to choose between a PC Card
>> or a USB adapter. Since the USB device may also be used with a
>> desktop, it is my preferred choice at first glance. But I'm wondering
>> if there are some drawbacks to this solution.
>>
>> Is there any performance/stability/reliability/ease of use difference
>> between a PC Card unit and an USB device ? Something else to consider
>> ? (eg: use of an USB hub ?)
>>
>> Thanks.

=?Utf-8?B?V2hpdGVjcmFuZQ==?=

performance might be an issue
USB hub is effectively a network for devices so you might get slower
performance for w/lan connectivity.

PC card would be my choice and takes out another area to debug if things go
wrong

cheers

"Michel S." wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I'm looking for a wireless adapter - I'm considering the D-Link
> offerings. Since it's for a laptop, I have to choose between a PC Card
> or a USB adapter. Since the USB device may also be used with a
> desktop, it is my preferred choice at first glance. But I'm wondering
> if there are some drawbacks to this solution.
>
> Is there any performance/stability/reliability/ease of use difference
> between a PC Card unit and an USB device ? Something else to consider
> ? (eg: use of an USB hub ?)
>
> Thanks.

aus

There is no difference - in my experience the USB adapters have been
more reliable actually - plus you can move them about as they can be on
the end of a bit of cable.

The 'speed difference' quoted in the link above is not relevant now and
PCMCIA hadware isnt just adapted like that nowadays. You will have no
speed tradeoff in reality as the bus that the wirless crds connect
through (whichever one) is running much faster than the wireless
communication can run (except for USB 1).