Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Preventing WHOIS

Preventing WHOIS

Alpha Romeo India ©

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 22:39:50 +0000, Guy Macon wrote:

> Frank Merlott wrote:
>
>>this is a domain paid yearly that I use it for testing
>>purposes mainly, I would not want to risk a worthwhile domain name
>>giving fake name.
>>
>>But I have had that domain registered with fake details for over five
>>years now, I think it is very hard for the ICANN to find that out.
>>
>>It is when problems arise, ie a complaint is made against you, that
>>this will come to light, but otherwise as far as I know the ICANN does
>>not go around checking on people's real registration details.

> I would add that making the fake info look real makes it a lot less
> likely that someone will complain. Registering as Bozo The Clown
> with an address on Mars and a phone number that is 000-000-0000 is
> just asking for trouble.

Yes, lie good.
--
http://tr.im/1fa6

Alpha Romeo India ©

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 02:14:24 +0000, Guy Macon wrote:

> As for the larger issue, ICANN (Internet Corporation for Assigned
> Names and Numbers) has been "studying" the issue of WHOIS privacy
> for eight years now and has failed to make a final decision.
> The whole thing is a huge legal mess.

And will remain that way so........lie.
--
http://tr.im/1fa6

Torbjörn Svensson Diaz

On 23 Feb, 17:59, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> --
> * *-bts
> * *-Friends don't let friends drive Windows

What Usenet client do you recommend for users using Linux? I intend to
install Ubuntu or some other Linux distribution in my new computer
which I will have in a week or so.

Regards,

--
Torbjörn Svensson Diaz

Torbjörn Svensson Diaz

On 23 Feb, 20:07, Guy Macon <http://www.GuyMacon.com/> wrote:
> Gerard Bok wrote:
>
> >(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> >>I LOVE privacy.

> Why, then, are you posting to USENET in a way that reveals IP
> address information and details about what kind of operating
> system and browser you are using, through a company that is
> well-known for its lack of privacy?

How much information do you get from my IP? Suppose that I didn't
explicitely wrote my name, would you still know it? Obviously you know
in what city I live in, but do you also know on what street? I'm just
curious.

There is the option to get a subscription at a Usenet server that
offers more privacy. Is that the best way to stay more private on the
Usenet?

Regards,

--
Torbjörn Svensson Diaz

Torbjörn Svensson Diaz

On 24 Feb, 22:37, Frank Merlott <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> on 24/02/2009, Torbjörn Svensson Diaz supposed :

> >> I have one domain registered under a fake name and address, this goes
> >> against the ICANN rules and they will take it away from me when they
> >> find out. But they need to find out first.

> > Is it heavily trafficed?

> Of course not, this is a domain paid yearly that I use it for testing
> purposes mainly, I would not want to risk a worthwhile domain name
> giving fake name.
>
> But I have had that domain registered with fake details for over five
> years now, I think it is very hard for the ICANN to find that out.
>
> It is when problems arise, ie a complaint is made against you, that
> this will come to light, but otherwise as far as I know the ICANN does
> not go around checking on people's real registration details.

> >> Many Ltd domains do not allow whois privacy. I would stick to .com and
> >> .net

> > What is an Ltd domain? Is it a domain owned by a corporation? Ldt as
> > in limited. Or do you mean TLD *as in top-level domain?

> That was meant to be a Top Level Domain TLD, sorry, Ltd. stands for
> Limited Company I think, totally irrelevant for this case.

Which TLD offer most privacy? Are .coms wore that others?

Regards,

--
Torbjörn Svensson Diaz

Torbjörn Svensson Diaz

On 25 Feb, 00:05, "nemo_outis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

Could I get your email adress?

Regards,

--
Torbjörn Svensson Diaz

Torbjörn Svensson Diaz

On 25 Feb, 17:27, Torbjörn Svensson Diaz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 25 Feb, 00:05, "nemo_outis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> Could I get your email adress?
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Torbjörn Svensson Diaz

Obviously, I don't expect you to post it in this Usenet group. You can
send it to me on at my email adress. I have some questions that I
don't want to be 100% public. I'm sure you have one among many
adresses that you are prepared to let me have access to.

Also, I'd like to thank you (and others) for all the valuable advice
you'be already given me so far. It's really beyond what I'd expected.

Regards,

--
Torbjörn

Torbjörn Svensson Diaz

On 25 Feb, 08:05, Alpha Romeo India © <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 22:39:50 +0000, Guy Macon wrote:
> > Frank Merlott wrote:

> >>this is a domain paid yearly that I use it for testing
> >>purposes mainly, I would not want to risk a worthwhile domain name
> >>giving fake name.

> >>But I have had that domain registered with fake details for over five
> >>years now, I think it is very hard for the ICANN to find that out.

> >>It is when problems arise, ie a complaint is made against you, that
> >>this will come to light, but otherwise as far as I know the ICANN does
> >>not go around checking on people's real registration details.

> > I would add that making the fake info look real makes it a lot less
> > likely that someone will complain. Registering as Bozo The Clown
> > with an address on Mars and a phone number that is 000-000-0000 is
> > just asking for trouble.

> Yes, lie good.
> --http://tr.im/1fa6

Ah, as usual.

Regards,

--
Torbjörn

nemo_outis

Torbjörn Svensson Diaz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:ab874b13-1fce-

> What Usenet client do you recommend for users using Linux? I intend to
> install Ubuntu or some other Linux distribution in my new computer
> which I will have in a week or so.

Depends to some extent what you want to do. Are you looking for mostly
text or binaries (nzb support, multi-connections, etc.)? Will you be
connecting to a newsserver that supports SSL/SSH? And, most of all, there
are matters of personal taste re interfaces, etc.

(For instance, I mostly use newsbin on Windows for binaries, and just xnews
for text - because I started a billion years ago with NewsXpress and xnews
has a similar interface. There are arguably better choices but these work
well enough for me not bothering to shop around and climb a new learning
curve.)

Regards,

Alpha Romeo India ©

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 08:27:26 -0800 (PST), Torbjörn Svensson Diaz wrote:

> On 25 Feb, 00:05, "nemo_outis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> Could I get your email adress?
>
> Regards,

lol
--