Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Error Message for powerstation

Error Message for powerstation

Purpledawn

I have a Dell computer running Windows XP Media Edition. The powerstation
gave out and a Technician replaced it with a new one. Now when I turn on the
computer I receive an error message. Alert! - Cage Fan Failure - press f1 to
continue. I did a search and found that other people with Dell computers
seem to have the same problem. I did open the computer and checked the fan
and it is running fine. I would like to correct this problem but have no
idea how. Computer starts fine after I press the F1 key. Your help in this
matter would be greatly appreciated.
thanks, Monika

John Holmes

Purpledawn "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> I have a Dell computer running Windows XP Media Edition. The
> powerstation gave out and a Technician replaced it with a new one. Now
> when I turn on the computer I receive an error message. Alert! - Cage
> Fan Failure - press f1 to continue. I did a search and found that
> other people with Dell computers seem to have the same problem. I did
> open the computer and checked the fan and it is running fine. I would
> like to correct this problem but have no idea how. Computer starts
> fine after I press the F1 key. Your help in this matter would be
> greatly appreciated. thanks, Monika

You mean "case fan failure", right? The error message means that the
system (mainboard) is set to look for a case fan which isn't present. To
correct this issue, get into the BIOS upon startup (Dell wants F2 for
this) You'd find something similar to "system health" or "system
temperature", turn off the case fan there.

--
<snip>

walter

"John Holmes" wrote:

> Purpledawn "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>
>> I have a Dell computer running Windows XP Media Edition. The
>> powerstation gave out and a Technician replaced it with a new one. Now
>> when I turn on the computer I receive an error message. Alert! - Cage
>> Fan Failure - press f1 to continue. I did a search and found that
>> other people with Dell computers seem to have the same problem. I did
>> open the computer and checked the fan and it is running fine. I would
>> like to correct this problem but have no idea how. Computer starts
>> fine after I press the F1 key. Your help in this matter would be
>> greatly appreciated. thanks, Monika

> You mean "case fan failure", right?

Maybe, but I think she meant exactly what she wrote.

> The error message means that the
> system (mainboard) is set to look for a case fan which isn't present.

Or isn't working.

> correct this issue, get into the BIOS upon startup (Dell wants F2 for
> this) You'd find something similar to "system health" or "system
> temperature", turn off the case fan there.

*Some* Dell systems have what they call an "expansion card cage" with a
dedicated fan. *IF* this is one of those (no model # mentioned) I would
suggest the OP get it fixed, or risk all kinds of overheating problems. Or?
You may be correct and the machine is misreporting. Either way, the link
below may be of some help.

http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?...ailure&cat=sup

Purpledawn

"John Holmes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Purpledawn "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>
>> I have a Dell computer running Windows XP Media Edition. The
>> powerstation gave out and a Technician replaced it with a new one. Now
>> when I turn on the computer I receive an error message. Alert! - Cage
>> Fan Failure - press f1 to continue. I did a search and found that
>> other people with Dell computers seem to have the same problem. I did
>> open the computer and checked the fan and it is running fine. I would
>> like to correct this problem but have no idea how. Computer starts
>> fine after I press the F1 key. Your help in this matter would be
>> greatly appreciated. thanks, Monika
>>

> You mean "case fan failure", right? The error message means that the
> system (mainboard) is set to look for a case fan which isn't present. To
> correct this issue, get into the BIOS upon startup (Dell wants F2 for
> this) You'd find something similar to "system health" or "system
> temperature", turn off the case fan there.
>
> --
> <snip>

No John not case fan failure. I just rebooted to make sure and it says
Alert! Card-Cage fan failure. Found a forum where someone reported exactly
the same problem and here is the reply from Dell Tech Support, so I shall go
and try it.

Forum Quote:
My name is Todd and I'm with Dell's online outreach program. If the fans
seem to mechanically working normally you may want to try flashing the BIOS
to see if that can help reset those errors.

You can find the BIOS flashes on our support site, http://support.Dell.com,
by clicking on the Drivers & Downloads link. You can either use your service
tag or model type to filter the downloads so that you only get those related
to the model of system you're using.

Let me know if that helps at all. I'll stop back to see if there is
something else I can do to help.

Thank you,

Todd

Customer Advocate

Dell, Inc.

http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archi...1/19/3648.aspx

hwf

In message <gnuneg$8cr$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Purpledawn" wrote:

> "John Holmes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Purpledawn "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
> >
> >> I have a Dell computer running Windows XP Media Edition. The
> >> powerstation gave out and a Technician replaced it with a new one. Now
> >> when I turn on the computer I receive an error message. Alert! - Cage
> >> Fan Failure - press f1 to continue. I did a search and found that
> >> other people with Dell computers seem to have the same problem. I did
> >> open the computer and checked the fan and it is running fine. I would
> >> like to correct this problem but have no idea how. Computer starts
> >> fine after I press the F1 key. Your help in this matter would be
> >> greatly appreciated. thanks, Monika
> >>

> > You mean "case fan failure", right? The error message means that the
> > system (mainboard) is set to look for a case fan which isn't present. To
> > correct this issue, get into the BIOS upon startup (Dell wants F2 for
> > this) You'd find something similar to "system health" or "system
> > temperature", turn off the case fan there.
> >
> > --
> > <snip>

> No John not case fan failure. I just rebooted to make sure and it says
> Alert! Card-Cage fan failure. Found a forum where someone reported exactly
> the same problem and here is the reply from Dell Tech Support, so I shall
> go
> and try it.
>
> Forum Quote:
> My name is Todd and I'm with Dell's online outreach program. If the fans
> seem to mechanically working normally you may want to try flashing the BIOS

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

LOL! Dell tells customers to flash their own BIOS?

ROTFLMAO!
Sounds like an argument to never buy a Dell

> to see if that can help reset those errors.

So its just a guesstimate?
Holy schnikes!

> You can find the BIOS flashes on our support site, http://support.Dell.com,
> by clicking on the Drivers & Downloads link. You can either use your
> service
> tag or model type to filter the downloads so that you only get those
> related
> to the model of system you're using.
>
> Let me know if that helps at all. I'll stop back to see if there is
> something else I can do to help.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Todd
>
> Customer Advocate