Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wirelessly connected to server but can't connect to Internet

Wirelessly connected to server but can't connect to Internet

fanofthemick

I have a problem connecting to some public wireless connections in hotels.
When I go to a hotel that has wireless in the room and the network is
unsecured I can connect to their network server/router but not always the
internet. For example this weekend I was able to connect to the Internet
from a Ramada hotel. however, when I later moved to a Marriott (using their
stayonline netwrok) I was able to connect to the server (with excellent
signal strength) but could not get to any internet site nor could I ping any
IP address except my own. Turning off my firewall and other security
features didn't help. Marriott's tech support said they could see my laptop
but could not tell why I could not get to the internet. This also happens as
some airports. I get on the internet at some but not at others. When I
arrive home I can always re-connect to my home network and the internet with
no problems. Any ideas as to what may cause this?

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Next time, you can use tracert command to check where the traffic stops.
then talk to the tech support.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"fanofthemick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a problem connecting to some public wireless connections in hotels.
> When I go to a hotel that has wireless in the room and the network is
> unsecured I can connect to their network server/router but not always the
> internet. For example this weekend I was able to connect to the Internet
> from a Ramada hotel. however, when I later moved to a Marriott (using
> their
> stayonline netwrok) I was able to connect to the server (with excellent
> signal strength) but could not get to any internet site nor could I ping
> any
> IP address except my own. Turning off my firewall and other security
> features didn't help. Marriott's tech support said they could see my
> laptop
> but could not tell why I could not get to the internet. This also happens
> as
> some airports. I get on the internet at some but not at others. When I
> arrive home I can always re-connect to my home network and the internet
> with
> no problems. Any ideas as to what may cause this?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Seeing strong signal ahs nothing to do with actual connection to the server
and obtaining IP and Internet passage.
Many hotels charge, or at least have a logon procedure even if he service is
free.
Do not even assume that all the Marriott, or Ramada, etc. provide the
service under the same condition, always ask the front desk personal about
the Connection arrangement in their specific hotel.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"fanofthemick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a problem connecting to some public wireless connections in hotels.
> When I go to a hotel that has wireless in the room and the network is
> unsecured I can connect to their network server/router but not always the
> internet. For example this weekend I was able to connect to the Internet
> from a Ramada hotel. however, when I later moved to a Marriott (using
> their
> stayonline netwrok) I was able to connect to the server (with excellent
> signal strength) but could not get to any internet site nor could I ping
> any
> IP address except my own. Turning off my firewall and other security
> features didn't help. Marriott's tech support said they could see my
> laptop
> but could not tell why I could not get to the internet. This also happens
> as
> some airports. I get on the internet at some but not at others. When I
> arrive home I can always re-connect to my home network and the internet
> with
> no problems. Any ideas as to what may cause this?

fanofthemick

This was a free service, at both the Ramada and Marriotts that I was at. I
was connected to the Marriott server because their network help desk saw my
system and I did have an IP address on their network.