Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Broadband spend-up unnecessary?

Reply
Thread Tools

Broadband spend-up unnecessary?

 
 
Bruce Sinclair
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-26-2009
In article <go2qjg$a64$(E-Mail Removed)>, oneofus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
(snip)
>>
>> A new buzz-word that they made up, like 90% of the other words big business
>> throws around (and their management have no clue what they mean either).


>Ah yes
>Like podcast and blogosphere and cybercrime and botox and metrosexual
>and mini-me and hoody
>When do they become words ?


Those are all nouns that describe/'are names for' actual things (or variants
of them). Perfectly acceptable (except possibly "mini-me" ?) in the great
tradition of the English language.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bruce Sinclair
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-26-2009
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Roger_Nickel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 18:59:02 +1300, Your Name wrote:

(snip)

>What word would you use instead of cabinetisation to describe the process
>of bringing DSL interface racks out of the local exchange and into
>roadside fibre optic head-end cabinets?.


ooo ! ooo ! ... pick me ...

'putting DSL boxes into local cabinets'. You could call it PDBILC if you
are into acronyms ?

See how easy it is ?
Really depends if you are trying to communicate (ie convey meaning) or to
create an exclusive jargon that only the enlightened truly comprehend. You
can tell which side of the paddock I'm on


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bruce Sinclair
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-26-2009
In article <go36d9$ap7$(E-Mail Removed)>, bugalugs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Roger_Nickel wrote:
>> On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 18:59:02 +1300, Your Name wrote:
>>
>>> "oneofus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:go2iji$9ap$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>> Bruce Sinclair wrote:

>
><snip>
>
>>>>>>>> already programmed for cabinetisation and loop shortening.
>>>>>>> ..<picky on>... cabnetisation is not a word, despite it being in
>>> corporate
>>>>>>> spell checkers. <picky off>
>>>>>> So what is it ?
>>>>> .. ? what is what ?
>>>>>
>>>> cabinetisation, if its not a word
>>> A new buzz-word that they made up, like 90% of the other words big
>>> business throws around (and their management have no clue what they mean
>>> either).

>>
>> What word would you use instead of cabinetisation to describe the process
>> of bringing DSL interface racks out of the local exchange and into
>> roadside fibre optic head-end cabinets?.

>
>I suppose DIROOTLEAIRFOHEC would be a bit of a mouthful ?


... yep ... see my much shorter suggestion in another post

 
Reply With Quote
 
bugalugs
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-26-2009
Bruce Sinclair wrote:
> In article <go2qjg$a64$(E-Mail Removed)>, oneofus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (snip)
>>> A new buzz-word that they made up, like 90% of the other words big business
>>> throws around (and their management have no clue what they mean either).

>
>> Ah yes
>> Like podcast and blogosphere and cybercrime and botox and metrosexual
>> and mini-me and hoody
>> When do they become words ?

>
> Those are all nouns that describe/'are names for' actual things (or variants
> of them). Perfectly acceptable (except possibly "mini-me" ?) in the great
> tradition of the English language.
>
>

Don't you Google things ?? :>)
 
Reply With Quote
 
oneofus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-26-2009
Bruce Sinclair wrote:
> In article <go2iji$9ap$(E-Mail Removed)>, oneofus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>>> In article <go22og$hgu$(E-Mail Removed)>, oneofus <(E-Mail Removed)>

>> wrote:
>>>> Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>>>>> In article <49a44e5d$(E-Mail Removed)>, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>>>> David Goodwin wrote:
>>>>>>> As ADSL is the only option that could be made possible, I guess this
>>>>>>> week is time to start talking to Telecom.
>>>>>> Have a look at the below link (Chorus timeline) and see if your area is
>>>>>> already programmed for cabinetisation and loop shortening.
>>>>> ..<picky on>... cabnetisation is not a word, despite it being in corporate
>>>>> spell checkers. <picky off>

>
>>>> So what is it ?
>>> .. ? what is what ?
>>>

>> cabinetisation, if its not a word

>
> .. um ... a jumble of meaningless letters perhaps ?
> More likely ? ... a bastardisation of an actual word. A classic case of
> trying to turn a noun (cabinet) into a verb ('to cabnetise') as often
> practiced these days by corporate organisations of all sorts (compare with
> "incentivise").
> Another way to pronounce what it *is* would be 'wrong'.
>
> HTH.
>
>

Thanks for the rant, its pretty funny when the grammar police nut off.
 
Reply With Quote
 
oneofus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-26-2009
Bruce Sinclair wrote:
> In article <go53bp$6bu$(E-Mail Removed)>, oneofus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>>> In article <go2iji$9ap$(E-Mail Removed)>, oneofus <(E-Mail Removed)>

>> wrote:
>>>> Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>>>>> In article <go22og$hgu$(E-Mail Removed)>, oneofus <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>>> wrote:
>>>>>> Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>>>>>>> In article <49a44e5d$(E-Mail Removed)>, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>>>>>> David Goodwin wrote:
>>>>>>>>> As ADSL is the only option that could be made possible, I guess this
>>>>>>>>> week is time to start talking to Telecom.
>>>>>>>> Have a look at the below link (Chorus timeline) and see if your area is
>>>>>>>> already programmed for cabinetisation and loop shortening.
>>>>>>> ..<picky on>... cabnetisation is not a word, despite it being in

>> corporate
>>>>>>> spell checkers. <picky off>
>>>>>> So what is it ?
>>>>> .. ? what is what ?
>>>>>
>>>> cabinetisation, if its not a word
>>> .. um ... a jumble of meaningless letters perhaps ?
>>> More likely ? ... a bastardisation of an actual word. A classic case of
>>> trying to turn a noun (cabinet) into a verb ('to cabnetise') as often
>>> practiced these days by corporate organisations of all sorts (compare with
>>> "incentivise").
>>> Another way to pronounce what it *is* would be 'wrong'.

>
>> Thanks for the rant, its pretty funny when the grammar police nut off.

>
> <shrug> You want to communicate (ie get meaning across) or not ? Your
> choice. I really don't care.
>
>
>

Most peoples communication skills are sufficient to comprehend
(sometimes silly) neologisms
I have no problem understanding what they mean by cabinetisation.
The willful ignorance is all yours.
 
Reply With Quote
 
oneofus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-26-2009
Bruce Sinclair wrote:
> In article <go535t$6bu$(E-Mail Removed)>, oneofus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>>> In article <go2qjg$a64$(E-Mail Removed)>, oneofus <(E-Mail Removed)>

>> wrote:
>>> (snip)
>>>>> A new buzz-word that they made up, like 90% of the other words big business
>>>>> throws around (and their management have no clue what they mean either).
>>>> Ah yes
>>>> Like podcast and blogosphere and cybercrime and botox and metrosexual
>>>> and mini-me and hoody
>>>> When do they become words ?
>>> Those are all nouns that describe/'are names for' actual things (or variants
>>> of them). Perfectly acceptable (except possibly "mini-me" ?) in the great
>>> tradition of the English language.

>
>> Cabinetisation is a noun for a process, like pasteurisation.

>
> Hmmm ... Possibly ... but I still don't think it's either necessary or
> clever. Nor is it 'right'
>

Maybe not, but it's there, perhaps they could just use a TLA like LLU.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bruce Sinclair
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-26-2009
In article <go4tdt$rek$(E-Mail Removed)>, bugalugs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>> In article <go2qjg$a64$(E-Mail Removed)>, oneofus <(E-Mail Removed)>

> wrote:
>> (snip)
>>>> A new buzz-word that they made up, like 90% of the other words big business
>>>> throws around (and their management have no clue what they mean either).

>>
>>> Ah yes
>>> Like podcast and blogosphere and cybercrime and botox and metrosexual
>>> and mini-me and hoody
>>> When do they become words ?

>>
>> Those are all nouns that describe/'are names for' actual things (or variants
>> of them). Perfectly acceptable (except possibly "mini-me" ?) in the great
>> tradition of the English language.


>Don't you Google things ?? :>)


Sure I do ... but film references from a bad film ? ... I'll try to ignore
that one until I no longer can

 
Reply With Quote
 
Bruce Sinclair
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-26-2009
In article <go535t$6bu$(E-Mail Removed)>, oneofus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>> In article <go2qjg$a64$(E-Mail Removed)>, oneofus <(E-Mail Removed)>

> wrote:
>> (snip)
>>>> A new buzz-word that they made up, like 90% of the other words big business
>>>> throws around (and their management have no clue what they mean either).

>>
>>> Ah yes
>>> Like podcast and blogosphere and cybercrime and botox and metrosexual
>>> and mini-me and hoody
>>> When do they become words ?

>>
>> Those are all nouns that describe/'are names for' actual things (or variants
>> of them). Perfectly acceptable (except possibly "mini-me" ?) in the great
>> tradition of the English language.


>Cabinetisation is a noun for a process, like pasteurisation.


Hmmm ... Possibly ... but I still don't think it's either necessary or
clever. Nor is it 'right'

 
Reply With Quote
 
Bruce Sinclair
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-26-2009
In article <go53bp$6bu$(E-Mail Removed)>, oneofus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>> In article <go2iji$9ap$(E-Mail Removed)>, oneofus <(E-Mail Removed)>

> wrote:
>>> Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>>>> In article <go22og$hgu$(E-Mail Removed)>, oneofus <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>> wrote:
>>>>> Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>>>>>> In article <49a44e5d$(E-Mail Removed)>, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>>>>> David Goodwin wrote:
>>>>>>>> As ADSL is the only option that could be made possible, I guess this
>>>>>>>> week is time to start talking to Telecom.
>>>>>>> Have a look at the below link (Chorus timeline) and see if your area is
>>>>>>> already programmed for cabinetisation and loop shortening.
>>>>>> ..<picky on>... cabnetisation is not a word, despite it being in

> corporate
>>>>>> spell checkers. <picky off>

>>
>>>>> So what is it ?
>>>> .. ? what is what ?
>>>>
>>> cabinetisation, if its not a word

>>
>> .. um ... a jumble of meaningless letters perhaps ?
>> More likely ? ... a bastardisation of an actual word. A classic case of
>> trying to turn a noun (cabinet) into a verb ('to cabnetise') as often
>> practiced these days by corporate organisations of all sorts (compare with
>> "incentivise").
>> Another way to pronounce what it *is* would be 'wrong'.


>Thanks for the rant, its pretty funny when the grammar police nut off.


<shrug> You want to communicate (ie get meaning across) or not ? Your
choice. I really don't care.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WIRELESS G BROADBAND ROUTER OR WIRELESS N BROADBAND ROUTER Bill Wireless Networking 2 05-28-2008 04:04 PM
Review: D-Link DGL-4100 Broadband Gigabit Router Silverstrand Front Page News 0 06-27-2005 06:42 PM
setting up wireless broadband to router =?Utf-8?B?QWRyaWFuIEg=?= Wireless Networking 6 12-09-2004 10:40 AM
Connecting a laptop to broadband David Gartrell Wireless Networking 4 11-28-2004 02:18 PM
sharing cable broadband jo Wireless Networking 4 07-12-2004 06:34 PM



Advertisments