Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Word Docs Won't Open, Can't Be E-Mailed, Can't Be Deleted, Can't Be Copied, Etc.

Word Docs Won't Open, Can't Be E-Mailed, Can't Be Deleted, Can't Be Copied, Etc.

Martin

Hello,

I've encountered a problem with my Word docs, the solution to which has
escaped me to date.

HISTORY:

I created Word docs and was able to open and close them without problem.

I made changes to their wording and was able to save those changes without
problem.

Due to my having 8 docs in which the wording in any one is similar to, but
not the same as, that in the other 7, I named each doc, including
Properties, with a fairly lengthy description to indicate the difference.

After doing so, I attempted to open one of the docs. I was unable to do so,
and there was a message that the name (or title) exceeded 255 (or 225)
characters.

When I right-clicked the doc to provide a shortened name, I was unable to
do. Right-clicking on any of the 8 docs now provides a menu of only 5
commands: Open/New/Print/Open With/Send To ->

(When I right-click on any of my other docs, the menu has 16 commands.)

None of the commands can be activated, whether clicked on the menu or
through the toolbar's File or Edit.

The docs are not subject to any commands, including deletion.

If it's relevant, my OS is XP Pro SP2, and I'm using Word 2002 SP3.

I unsuccessfully attempted System Restore, and I've re-booted a number of
times.

To say the least, any and all constructive suggestions to remedy the problem
will be greatly appreciated.

Martin

Mike Easter

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

Martin wrote:

> I named each doc, including
> Properties, with a fairly lengthy description to indicate the
> difference.
>
> After doing so, I attempted to open one of the docs. I was unable to do
> so, and there was a message that the name (or title) exceeded 255 (or
> 225) characters.

http://snipr.com/cfir6 Extremely long file name impossible to rename or
delete -- Press Start, Run, COMMAND and enter. -- Presto. All 8.3 names.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;320081 You cannot
delete a file or a folder on an NTFS file system volume

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

C.D wrote:
> "Mike Easter"

> that was very helpful mike.

I could explain what happened, but it isn't very interesting.

It involves stickykeys.

If stickykeys are operational (and you are oblivious to the status of the
sticky alt-key), as soon as you hit 'S' the message is sent, whether you
are ready or not.

--
Mike Easter

Martin

Hi Mike,

I clicked Start and then Run. In the Run box, I entered COMMAND, and clicked
OK.
A DOS window opened.

I then typed the name of the one of the 8 docs in question.

The resulting message was 'xxxx' is not recognized as an internal or
external command, operable program or batch file.

What should I do now?

Thanks.

Martin

news:gns37t$d1k$(E-Mail Removed)...
: Martin wrote:
:
: > I named each doc, including
: > Properties, with a fairly lengthy description to indicate the
: > difference.
: >
: > After doing so, I attempted to open one of the docs. I was unable to do
: > so, and there was a message that the name (or title) exceeded 255 (or
: > 225) characters.
:
: http://snipr.com/cfir6 Extremely long file name impossible to rename or
: delete -- Press Start, Run, COMMAND and enter. -- Presto. All 8.3 names.
:
: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;320081 You cannot
: delete a file or a folder on an NTFS file system volume
:
:
: --
: Mike Easter
:

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>After doing so, I attempted to open one of the docs. I was unable to do so,
>and there was a message that the name (or title) exceeded 255 (or 225)
>characters.

You write the text inside the .doc file not in the title.

and you wanted to send this nightmare as e-mail.

Bet your loads of fun.
--

Workin for that Darwin award
http://i34.tinypic.com/2wnaiwi.jpg?

John Holmes

Martin "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> "Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gns37t$d1k$(E-Mail Removed)...
>: Martin wrote:
>:
>: > I named each doc, including
>: > Properties, with a fairly lengthy description to indicate the
>: > difference.
>: >
>: > After doing so, I attempted to open one of the docs. I was unable
>: > to do so, and there was a message that the name (or title) exceeded
>: > 255 (or 225) characters.
>:
>: http://snipr.com/cfir6 Extremely long file name impossible to rename
>: or delete -- Press Start, Run, COMMAND and enter. -- Presto. All 8.3
>: names.
>:
>: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;320081 You
>: cannot delete a file or a folder on an NTFS file system volume
>:
>:
>: --
>: Mike Easter
>:
>

> Hi Mike,
>
> I clicked Start and then Run. In the Run box, I entered COMMAND, and
> clicked OK.
> A DOS window opened.
>
> I then typed the name of the one of the 8 docs in question.
>
> The resulting message was 'xxxx' is not recognized as an internal or
> external command, operable program or batch file.
>
> What should I do now?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Martin

First thing you should do now is ignore Mike Easter like everybody else
in this froup does. None of his replies *ever* have made sense.

--
<snip>

Mike Easter

Martin wrote:

You are top posting which lacks context and interferes with your reading
comprehension of the whole post which you aren't actually replying to.

> I clicked Start and then Run. In the Run box, I entered COMMAND, and
> clicked OK.
> A DOS window opened.
>
> I then typed the name of the one of the 8 docs in question.

That alone won't get it.

> The resulting message was 'xxxx' is not recognized as an internal or
> external command, operable program or batch file.
>
> What should I do now?

Read the whole post; click on both the links and read what is there,
including and especially the MS info. Then, when you come back, stop top
posting.

http://www.anta.net/misc/nnq/nquote.shtml Q7: Why shouldn't I put my
comments above the quoted material?

--
Mike Easter

Martin

Who said that I "wanted" to send the docs?

I said that I "can't" send them.

I mentioned that I couldn't delete them; that doesn't mean that I *wanted*
to do so.

One doesn't equal the other.

Martin

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: "Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:
: >After doing so, I attempted to open one of the docs. I was unable to do
so,
: >and there was a message that the name (or title) exceeded 255 (or 225)
: >characters.
:
: You write the text inside the .doc file not in the title.
:
: and you wanted to send this nightmare as e-mail.
:
: Bet your loads of fun. <<<--- "your" should be "you're" or "you are".
: --
:
: Workin for that Darwin award
: http://i34.tinypic.com/2wnaiwi.jpg?

hwf

In message <ZBgol.223901$(E-Mail Removed)1.easynews.com>, "Martin" wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> I clicked Start and then Run. In the Run box, I entered COMMAND, and
> clicked
> OK.
> A DOS window opened.
>
> I then typed the name of the one of the 8 docs in question.
>
> The resulting message was 'xxxx' is not recognized as an internal or
> external command, operable program or batch file.
>
> What should I do now?

Here's what *I* would try

Locate the document in wtfever folder you store it in via the GUI (try the
dosbox later) and r-click on the file...look at "properties"...is the ****er
marked READ ONLY? Try unchecking that if it is.

If that dosent work then do the dos box crap.

Like 'C:\ cd\filethathasthe****ingdoc
when youve changed to that directory then do
'C:\type thelameassfilename.doc

the 'type' command should open the mother****er in the dos window.
so now you can see it...bfd...you wanna rename the bastard...
so you use 'ren'

ala 'ren filename.doc shitheel.doc
this renames the goddamn file "filename" to a much better name; "shitheel".

> Thanks.

You're totally ****ing welcome.

-James Madison