Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Tablet

Tablet

Neil Jones

I purchased a Hanvon Tablet today at the local computer show. The
business owner was doing an excellent presentation with the tablet. In
December, I thought about buying one since I got a new digital camera
and wanted to get creative.

For the demo, I don't know what software she had on the system, but she
was dragging and dropping flowers/people/landscapes which was pretty
neat. I do use GIMP, but she was using something else. Is there any
tablet specific software or plugins that make it fun with digital pictures?

Please let me know if you have any pointers or recommendations.

Thank you in advance.

NJ

PS - The Hanvon Tablet (Painting Master) is pretty good for its price.
It was mainly designed for Windows systems prior to Vista, so I had a
hard time finding the recent Vista drivers at their site. Overall, it
works and is great for amateurs. It came with tools/utilities that are
more specific to documents and not painting or digital pictures.

PeteD

"Neil Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:E82ol.11527$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I purchased a Hanvon Tablet today at the local computer show. The
> business owner was doing an excellent presentation with the tablet. In
> December, I thought about buying one since I got a new digital camera
> and wanted to get creative.
>
> For the demo, I don't know what software she had on the system, but she
> was dragging and dropping flowers/people/landscapes which was pretty
> neat. I do use GIMP, but she was using something else. Is there any
> tablet specific software or plugins that make it fun with digital
> pictures?
>
> Please let me know if you have any pointers or recommendations.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> NJ
>
> PS - The Hanvon Tablet (Painting Master) is pretty good for its price.
> It was mainly designed for Windows systems prior to Vista, so I had a
> hard time finding the recent Vista drivers at their site. Overall, it
> works and is great for amateurs. It came with tools/utilities that are
> more specific to documents and not painting or digital pictures.

Neil,

One of the best programs to use with a tablet is Corel Painter Essentials.

Cheers.

Pete

Ofnuts

Neil Jones wrote:
> I purchased a Hanvon Tablet today at the local computer show. The
> business owner was doing an excellent presentation with the tablet. In
> December, I thought about buying one since I got a new digital camera
> and wanted to get creative.
>
> For the demo, I don't know what software she had on the system, but she
> was dragging and dropping flowers/people/landscapes which was pretty
> neat. I do use GIMP, but she was using something else. Is there any
> tablet specific software or plugins that make it fun with digital pictures?
>
> Please let me know if you have any pointers or recommendations.

Gimp works OK with tablets (at least with my Wacom Bamboo) and using it
with a tablet is already a quite different experience.
--
Bertrand

Neil Jones

PeteD wrote:

> "Neil Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:E82ol.11527$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I purchased a Hanvon Tablet today at the local computer show. The
>> business owner was doing an excellent presentation with the tablet. In
>> December, I thought about buying one since I got a new digital camera
>> and wanted to get creative.
>>
>> For the demo, I don't know what software she had on the system, but she
>> was dragging and dropping flowers/people/landscapes which was pretty
>> neat. I do use GIMP, but she was using something else. Is there any
>> tablet specific software or plugins that make it fun with digital
>> pictures?
>>
>> Please let me know if you have any pointers or recommendations.
>>
>> Thank you in advance.
>>
>> NJ
>>
>> PS - The Hanvon Tablet (Painting Master) is pretty good for its price.
>> It was mainly designed for Windows systems prior to Vista, so I had a
>> hard time finding the recent Vista drivers at their site. Overall, it
>> works and is great for amateurs. It came with tools/utilities that are
>> more specific to documents and not painting or digital pictures.

> Neil,
>
> One of the best programs to use with a tablet is Corel Painter Essentials.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Pete

Pete,

Thanks for the info! It was amazing performance by the sales woman, and
was frustrating to me since I cannot reproduce it using my new gadget.
I will look into buying this software.

Cheers,

NJ

Neil Jones

Ofnuts wrote:
> Neil Jones wrote:
>> I purchased a Hanvon Tablet today at the local computer show. The
>> business owner was doing an excellent presentation with the tablet. In
>> December, I thought about buying one since I got a new digital camera
>> and wanted to get creative.
>>
>> For the demo, I don't know what software she had on the system, but she
>> was dragging and dropping flowers/people/landscapes which was pretty
>> neat. I do use GIMP, but she was using something else. Is there any
>> tablet specific software or plugins that make it fun with digital
>> pictures?
>>
>> Please let me know if you have any pointers or recommendations.

> Gimp works OK with tablets (at least with my Wacom Bamboo) and using it
> with a tablet is already a quite different experience.

I tried this gadget on GIMP and it is an uphill curve.

NJ

J. Clarke

Neil Jones wrote:
> PeteD wrote:
>>
>> "Neil Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:E82ol.11527$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I purchased a Hanvon Tablet today at the local computer show. The
>>> business owner was doing an excellent presentation with the tablet.
>>> In December, I thought about buying one since I got a new digital
>>> camera and wanted to get creative.
>>>
>>> For the demo, I don't know what software she had on the system, but
>>> she was dragging and dropping flowers/people/landscapes which was
>>> pretty neat. I do use GIMP, but she was using something else. Is
>>> there any tablet specific software or plugins that make it fun with
>>> digital pictures?
>>>
>>> Please let me know if you have any pointers or recommendations.
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance.
>>>
>>> NJ
>>>
>>> PS - The Hanvon Tablet (Painting Master) is pretty good for its
>>> price. It was mainly designed for Windows systems prior to Vista,
>>> so I had a hard time finding the recent Vista drivers at their
>>> site. Overall, it works and is great for amateurs. It came with
>>> tools/utilities that are more specific to documents and not
>>> painting or digital pictures.

>> Neil,
>>
>> One of the best programs to use with a tablet is Corel Painter
>> Essentials.
>>
>> Cheers.
>>
>> Pete

> Pete,
>
> Thanks for the info! It was amazing performance by the sales woman,
> and was frustrating to me since I cannot reproduce it using my new
> gadget. I will look into buying this software.

Note that if you're in the US Office Depot is listing the full Painter X on
their site for under a hundred bucks, which is not a lot more than
Essentials.

Neil Jones

J. Clarke wrote:
> Neil Jones wrote:
>> PeteD wrote:
>>>
>>> "Neil Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:E82ol.11527$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Neil,
>>>
>>> One of the best programs to use with a tablet is Corel Painter
>>> Essentials.
>>>
>>> Cheers.
>>>
>>> Pete

>> Pete,
>>
>> Thanks for the info! It was amazing performance by the sales woman,
>> and was frustrating to me since I cannot reproduce it using my new
>> gadget. I will look into buying this software.

> Note that if you're in the US Office Depot is listing the full Painter X
> on their site for under a hundred bucks, which is not a lot more than
> Essentials.

Thank you! That is a great deal!

NJ