Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Creating a Time-Lapse Movie from Digital Stills

Creating a Time-Lapse Movie from Digital Stills

M-M

I made a movie of trees changing through the 4 seasons by taking stills
of the same scene during the year. I used Photoshop Elements to align
the layers and iMovie to make the transitions.

I think the result is interesting- 4 seasons in 30 seconds. Comments
welcome:

http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/tl/tl.html

You will need the Quicktime plugin to make it work, I believe.

--
m-m
http://www.mhmyers.com

Justin C

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, M-M wrote:
> I made a movie of trees changing through the 4 seasons by taking stills
> of the same scene during the year. I used Photoshop Elements to align
> the layers and iMovie to make the transitions.
>
> I think the result is interesting- 4 seasons in 30 seconds. Comments
> welcome:
>
> http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/tl/tl.html

More images, shorter frame length, same length movie.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

M-M

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
d.sorensen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 18:39:19 -0500, M-M <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I made a movie of trees changing through the 4 seasons by taking stills
> >of the same scene during the year. I used Photoshop Elements to align
> >the layers and iMovie to make the transitions.
> >
> >I think the result is interesting- 4 seasons in 30 seconds. Comments
> >welcome:
> >
> >http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/tl/tl.html
> >
> >You will need the Quicktime plugin to make it work, I believe.

> 7 or 9 frames dissolving in a slide-show isn't true "time-lapse"
> photography, unless used for a movie clip shorter than 1 second. Nice idea
> but it would have been much more interesting if it was true time-lapse.
> Then you'd face the challenges of all time-lapse photographers, changing
> lighting conditions from hour to hour, day to day. You could have saved a
> ton of bandwidth if you just uploaded your few frames for each "movie" into
> any number of freeware "slideshow" or screensaver apps with the same
> dissolve effect.

Any dissolve effect multiplies the number of frames and the bandwidth
increases proportionately. The movie is 40 sec (not 30- I'll correct
that) at 30 frames/sec. That's 1200 frames taking a bit over 5 MB. I
don't see how you can get it smaller without making it choppy or overly
compressed.

> You also missed including snow and winter shots in slide-show 1. It would
> have provided much more contrast between them. Technically, you're only
> portraying 3 seasons in that slide-show, spring to fall. 9 frames in 9
> months?

The first frame was taken last week, in February. There are definitely 4
seasons portrayed.

> The second slide-show denoting even less seasonal change than that,
> only the late part of 1 autumn season to first snow. Judging by how many
> leaves are on the shrub and the late colors, I'd say the second slide-show
> is only showing about a week in autumn. 7 frames, 7 days. I doubt the
> advertised 3 weeks, unless you waited that long after the 6th shot for the
> first snow.

It was 3 weeks. Shall I post the dates of each frame?

<sigh>

--
m-m
http://www.mhmyers.com

Paul Furman

Daniel wrote:
> "M-M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> I made a movie of trees changing through the 4 seasons by taking stills
>> of the same scene during the year. I used Photoshop Elements to align
>> the layers and iMovie to make the transitions.
>>
>> I think the result is interesting- 4 seasons in 30 seconds. Comments
>> welcome:
>>
>> http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/tl/tl.html
>>
>> You will need the Quicktime plugin to make it work, I believe.

> Reminds me of something I saw on Vimeo:
> http://www.vimeo.com/2773102
>
> Details are on the following link:
> http://eirikso.com/2008/12/27/one-ye...mazing-videos/

I like that look, same as the OP, I prefer the faster version... from
your link with details:

"At the top of this article you find a 40 second version that show one
year. Using the 10mm wide angle images. Right above you find a two
minute version made from the 55mm zoomed in images.

First I used Photomatix to make HDR images of the ones I decided to use.
Mostly because the HDR effect makes the images flat so that the
difference in light and shadows won’t disturb the transitions in my video."

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net