Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD sales worry Hollywood

DVD sales worry Hollywood

Dave U. Random

MSN Money http://xrl.us/begwtt

DVD sales are slowing down, and that's got Hollywood pretty
nervous.

People have filled out their home video libraries, reports
The Wrap. That's one of the reasons that DVD rentals and
sales dropped to $21.6 billion last year from a peak of
$24.1 billion in 2006.

The entertainment industry was hoping that high-definition
discs would pick up the slack, but folks aren't rushing to
buy a $25 Blu-ray movie in this economy. And who can blame
those who sunk money into the now-failed HD-DVD format for
laying low for a while?

DVD sales woes are hurting the bottom line at companies
like Viacom, which saw home entertainment sales fall 6%
last year to $1.02 billion, "The Wrap" reports
http://xrl.us/begwtv . The picture was bleaker at Fox
Filmed Entertainment, where DVD sales were down 15%.

Even Time Warner, whose had the best-selling DVD of 2008
with "The Dark Knight," suffered a 24% drop in DVD sales.
And DVD sales at Disney fell by a third, reports The Wrap.

The recession is undoubtedly hurting DVD sales. But maybe
people just aren't ready to dump their DVD collections for
Blu-ray just yet.

For some titles, like the BBC's "Planet Earth" series, the
difference between DVD and Blu-ray is spectacular. But
other movies would be just as watchable on DVD.

madara0806@gmail.com

On Feb 20, 12:15*pm, Dave U. Random <anonym...@anonymitaet-im-
inter.net> wrote:
> MSN Moneyhttp://xrl.us/begwtt
>
> DVD sales are slowing down, and that's got Hollywood pretty
> nervous.
>
> People have filled out their home video libraries, reports
> The Wrap. That's one of the reasons that DVD rentals and
> sales dropped to $21.6 billion last year from a peak of
> $24.1 billion in 2006.
>
> The entertainment industry was hoping that high-definition
> discs would pick up the slack, but folks aren't rushing to
> buy a $25 Blu-ray movie in this economy. And who can blame
> those who sunk money into the now-failed HD-DVD format for
> laying low for a while?
>
> DVD sales woes are hurting the bottom line at companies
> like Viacom, which saw home entertainment sales fall 6%
> last year to $1.02 billion, "The Wrap" reportshttp://xrl.us/begwtv. The picture was bleaker at Fox
> Filmed Entertainment, where DVD sales were down 15%.
>
> Even Time Warner, whose had the best-selling DVD of 2008
> with "The Dark Knight," suffered a 24% drop in DVD sales.
> And DVD sales at Disney fell by a third, reports The Wrap.
>
> The recession is undoubtedly hurting DVD sales. But maybe
> people just aren't ready to dump their DVD collections for
> Blu-ray just yet.
>
> For some titles, like the BBC's "Planet Earth" series, the
> difference between DVD and Blu-ray is spectacular. But
> other movies would be just as watchable on DVD.

I was a relative latecomer to DVD, and only because anime DVDs started
to come out bilingual, so I wouldn't have to shell out extra for a 2nd
VHS copy with subtitles. I'm not bumping up to Blu-ray until I have
no other choice and I can't get anything I want (anime and Japanese
and Hong Kong films) on any other format.

xanthus123@charter.net

On Feb 20, 10:30*am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Feb 20, 12:15*pm, Dave U. Random <anonym...@anonymitaet-im-
>

> inter.net> wrote:
> > MSN Moneyhttp://xrl.us/begwtt

> > DVD sales are slowing down, and that's got Hollywood pretty
> > nervous.

> > People have filled out their home video libraries, reports
> > The Wrap. That's one of the reasons that DVD rentals and
> > sales dropped to $21.6 billion last year from a peak of
> > $24.1 billion in 2006.

> > The entertainment industry was hoping that high-definition
> > discs would pick up the slack, but folks aren't rushing to
> > buy a $25 Blu-ray movie in this economy. And who can blame
> > those who sunk money into the now-failed HD-DVD format for
> > laying low for a while?

> > DVD sales woes are hurting the bottom line at companies
> > like Viacom, which saw home entertainment sales fall 6%
> > last year to $1.02 billion, "The Wrap" reportshttp://xrl.us/begwtv. The picture was bleaker at Fox
> > Filmed Entertainment, where DVD sales were down 15%.

> > Even Time Warner, whose had the best-selling DVD of 2008
> > with "The Dark Knight," suffered a 24% drop in DVD sales.
> > And DVD sales at Disney fell by a third, reports The Wrap.

> > The recession is undoubtedly hurting DVD sales. But maybe
> > people just aren't ready to dump their DVD collections for
> > Blu-ray just yet.

> > For some titles, like the BBC's "Planet Earth" series, the
> > difference between DVD and Blu-ray is spectacular. But
> > other movies would be just as watchable on DVD.

> I was a relative latecomer to DVD, and only because anime DVDs started
> to come out bilingual, so I wouldn't have to shell out extra for a 2nd
> VHS copy with subtitles. I'm not *bumping up to Blu-ray until I have
> no other choice and I can't get anything I want (anime and Japanese
> and Hong Kong films) on any other format.- Hide quoted text -

I suppose it would be too much to ask Hollywood to make *better*
pictures

Tarkus

Mark Jones wrote:
>> I suppose it would be too much to ask Hollywood to make *better*
>> pictures

> The last two years have been kind of disappointing.

And yet, the last two years have been the top two years at the box
office, so apparently the films aren't what's driving down DVD sales.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/

Tarkus

Mark Jones wrote:
> Dave U. Random wrote:
>> The entertainment industry was hoping that high-definition
>> discs would pick up the slack, but folks aren't rushing to
>> buy a $25 Blu-ray movie in this economy.

> Most movies have not been released in Blu-ray and I am
> not going to buy a DVD and then turn around and buy
> a Blu-ray later.

You don't have to. All Blu-ray players play DVDs. This isn't a case of
moving from VHS to DVD.

Flasherly@live.com

On Feb 20, 10:52 pm, "Mark Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Dave U. Random wrote:
> > The entertainment industry was hoping that high-definition
> > discs would pick up the slack, but folks aren't rushing to
> > buy a $25 Blu-ray movie in this economy.

> Most movies have not been released in Blu-ray and I am
> not going to buy a DVD and then turn around and buy
> a Blu-ray later.

They need BR player that makes DVD looks better for cheaper - like
round mouse things or square High Definition Management, or something,
connectors TeeVees once missed.

Archimedes' Lever

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 10:02:35 -0600, "Mark Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Tarkus wrote:
>> Mark Jones wrote:
>>>
>>> Most movies have not been released in Blu-ray and I am
>>> not going to buy a DVD and then turn around and buy
>>> a Blu-ray later.

>> You don't have to. All Blu-ray players play DVDs. This isn't a case
>> of moving from VHS to DVD.

>I had a bunch of DVD's stolen and would like to replace some of
>them with Blu-ray when they become available. I do not intend
>to buy them a 2nd time on DVD while waiting for the Blu-ray
>version to come out. I already have 2 Blu-ray players and 3
>HDTV's and do not want to buy any more SD movies.

If you had legit, purchased copies, then you would not feel bad about
hunting up a digital copy of the movies you were deprived of on a bit
torrent site like mininova or the like. Every movie you can think of is
likely there somewhere.

Archimedes' Lever

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 10:59:03 -0800, "The Mighty T.B."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>There's no doubt the format war cost the (winning) HD home video disc format
>at least a year if not close to two years in significant sales and consumer
>entrenchment. Not to mention blu-ray is *still* suffering from growing
>pains such as various kinds of disc playback problems, hardware firmware
>upgrades and even screwed up transfers.

There are also a lot of bluRay reader failures taking place in the PS3
realm.

A LOT. and it appears to happen after a certain firmware upgrade on
units older than one year, the warranty period! Imagine that!

My LD player lasted 18 years before it failed, and that was due to
electrolytic caps, not the laser head. Sony had better be coughing up
for a new drive unit in this thing regardless of the wording of their
warranty.

Archimedes' Lever

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 12:59:27 -0800, "The Mighty T.B."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Archimedes' Lever" wroet:
>
>> On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 10:59:03 -0800, "The Mighty T.B."
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>There's no doubt the format war cost the (winning) HD home video disc
>>>format
>>>at least a year if not close to two years in significant sales and
>>>consumer
>>>entrenchment. Not to mention blu-ray is *still* suffering from growing
>>>pains such as various kinds of disc playback problems, hardware firmware
>>>upgrades and even screwed up transfers.

>> There are also a lot of bluRay reader failures taking place in the PS3
>> realm.
>>
>> A LOT. and it appears to happen after a certain firmware upgrade on
>> units older than one year, the warranty period! Imagine that!
>>
>> My LD player lasted 18 years before it failed, and that was due to
>> electrolytic caps, not the laser head. Sony had better be coughing up
>> for a new drive unit in this thing regardless of the wording of their
>> warranty.

>I have a Pioneer CLD-D704 from '95 and a Elite CLD-99 from '99 and both
>players work as good as the day I bought them. The only thing I've had to
>do was clean the clamp that grips the disc on the D704 a couple years ago.
>Granted, my use has dwindled down to maybe 1 disc every couple weeks the
>past half decade, but I am amazed how those two players have been rock solid
>since day one.
>
>It's ironic the hardware far outlasted the format.
>
>T.B.

It is absolutely indicative of the Bill Gates' School of Suck Mo Cash
mentality that the entire consumer electronics industry has taken on. No
service. No promise that the unit you send in for service will be the
unit you get back. No channel for replacement parts. It is all about
sucking more cash for a task than the task is worth.

I want to replace a BD drive in my PS3 and NOT lose MY PS3, which has a
customized case, etc. I that possible? Yes, but it isn't easy, and it
is about double the price it should be for the part. If the damned thing
is gonna fail like a PC CD reader on a yearly basis, then it isn't worth
more than $25 for a new read head. If they make it a ten year head like
a home stereo device *should* be, THEN they can charge a HUGE amount for
it.

The way I see it, Sony lied big time about the viability of their blue
spectrum laser diodes, and these readers are failing because they did not
care, and we now have to pay repair channel nonsense to fix the first
series of failures. Wait until the number triples.

I want my damned replacement reader, and I want it cheap, and I do NOT
want to send my unit in and get some other unit back to do it! They
should make the drives available to the folks that want to fix their own
machine!

I am already on my second PS3 and I am not using the bad one for any BD
drive stuff. The bastards should be bowing at my feet to fix my problems
with the amount of money they have made from me.

Anim8rFSK

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Tarkus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Mark Jones wrote:
> > Dave U. Random wrote:
> >> The entertainment industry was hoping that high-definition
> >> discs would pick up the slack, but folks aren't rushing to
> >> buy a $25 Blu-ray movie in this economy.

> > Most movies have not been released in Blu-ray and I am
> > not going to buy a DVD and then turn around and buy
> > a Blu-ray later.

> You don't have to. All Blu-ray players play DVDs. This isn't a case of
> moving from VHS to DVD.

And there are Blu-rays that include the DVD for a couple bucks more than
just the DVD would be, so you're set for now and for the future.

--
Bad Reboot's 'Crap Trek' 2009: "No Shat, No Show"
Rated "least anticipated film of 2009" by ETOnline