Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 95MP imager to be launched into space......

95MP imager to be launched into space......

David J Taylor

95MP imager, 3+ years photographing the same area of the sky, every six
seconds....

http://kepler.nasa.gov/

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ke...ain/index.html

Largest telescope ever for space work - looking for planets. Get the
Press Kit (3MB PDF) if you are interested, for the description of the
optics and the detectors - on a curved focal plane.

http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/314268main_K...2-19_print.pdf

Cheers,
David

J. Clarke

David J Taylor wrote:
> 95MP imager, 3+ years photographing the same area of the sky, every
> six seconds....
>
> http://kepler.nasa.gov/
>
> http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ke...ain/index.html
>
> Largest telescope ever for space work - looking for planets. Get the
> Press Kit (3MB PDF) if you are interested, for the description of the
> optics and the detectors - on a curved focal plane.
>
> http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/314268main_K...2-19_print.pdf

Not the largest ever. It has a .95 meter aperture with a 1.4 meter mirror,
compared to 2.4 meter for the Hubble. Kepler has a very specific and
limited mission, to continually image a segment of the sky for four years
looking for very tiny variations in star brightness that indicate transits
of relatively small planets. The large sensor is there to allow its entire
field of view to be monitored continually.

Incidentally the smallest extasolar planet yet discovered was discovered
with the 1.8 meter telescope at the Mount John University Observatory in New
Zealand.

ASAAR

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 09:28:16 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:

> 95MP imager, 3+ years photographing the same area of the sky, every six
> seconds....
>
> http://kepler.nasa.gov/
>
> http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ke...ain/index.html
>
> Largest telescope ever for space work - looking for planets. Get the
> Press Kit (3MB PDF) if you are interested, for the description of the
> optics and the detectors - on a curved focal plane.
>
> http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/314268main_K...2-19_print.pdf

What a waste of money. Is there room on board for our talented
anti-DSLR sock puppet troll? With just his little CHDK enabled
Powershot, he'll be able to produce much better images, some of
which will be sure to eventually stand beside his other award
winning photos.

David J Taylor

bugbear wrote:
> David J Taylor wrote:
>> 95MP imager

> Still won't be as good as film
>
> BugBear

... just the problem of sending the film back to the labs for processing.

<G>

David

J. Clarke

David J Taylor wrote:
> bugbear wrote:
>> David J Taylor wrote:
>>> 95MP imager

>> Still won't be as good as film
>>
>> BugBear

> .. just the problem of sending the film back to the labs for
> processing.

Actually that particular job couldn't be done by film, since it's a
photometry job, not an imaging job.

David J Taylor

Rich wrote:
> bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed) et:
>
>> David J Taylor wrote:
>>> 95MP imager

>> Still won't be as good as film
>>
>> BugBear

> The astronomical community dumped film before anyone else did, for
> good reason: Reciprocity failure. Digital sensors don't suffer from
> it.

This imager is taking six-second exposures continuously for three or more
years....precision is the key to detecting the small variations of light
resulting from a planet crossing a star's disk.

David

Douglas Johnson

"David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this.co.uk>
wrote:

>.. just the problem of sending the film back to the labs for processing.

In the 60's, the first spy satellites returned their film to earth by ejecting a
capsule that was caught by an airplane. Really.

The capsule had a parachute and the airplane towed a trapeze-like thing that
snagged the chute. I assume it worked at least some of the time. It's no
wonder they went digital as soon as they could. -- Doug

David J Taylor

Douglas Johnson wrote:
> "David J Taylor"
> <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> .. just the problem of sending the film back to the labs for
>> processing.

> In the 60's, the first spy satellites returned their film to earth by
> ejecting a capsule that was caught by an airplane. Really.

Yes, I know.

> The capsule had a parachute and the airplane towed a trapeze-like
> thing that snagged the chute. I assume it worked at least some of
> the time. It's no wonder they went digital as soon as they could.
> -- Doug

Did they ever use analog transmisisons? I recall that some of the early
satellites used TV cameras.

David

David J Taylor

Rich wrote:
[]
> Also note, many individual sensors with HUGE pixels instead of just
> 4-8 high pixel count devices. As for its size, there are already 1.4
> gigapixel astronomical imagers on ground-based telescopes.

I was wondering what the pixel size was, but didn't read enough to find
out. Remember that anything launched into space was probably designed
with technology that's 5-10 years old, so I wouldn't expect it to compare
with the latest ground-based instruments. Did you like the curved focal
plane?

Cheers,
David

ASAAR

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 03:01:16 -0600, Ron Hunter wrote:

>> Also note, many individual sensors with HUGE pixels instead of just 4-8
>> high pixel count devices. As for its size, there are already 1.4
>> gigapixel astronomical imagers on ground-based telescopes.

> I suppose there is no real reason, other than cost, why multiple sensors
> can't be 'ganged' in a device, which I suspect is how the astronomical
> instruments get gigapixel sizes.

Your fav. company has been there, done that!
Aren't some (all?) current FF sensors stitched? Also :

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/...howtopic=27013

> A good place to start is to mention who DALSA currently makes
> 22 MP chips for. This includes Creo / Leaf, Jenoptik and Mamiya.
> Their competitor, Kodak, makes the chips used in medium format
> backs from Phase One, Imacon and Sinar.
>
> Something that I learned, which I didn't know before, is that these
> very large chips are made up from 1K X 1K sub-components. This
> is unlike the much smaller chips, such as those up to APS-C size as
> used in DSLRs and digicams, which are made from one continuous
> die. The implication of this is that an imager of almost any size can
> be made, because these large chips are made from 1K X 1K
> components stitched together with firmware.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/dalsa.shtml

and one of DPR's forum participants, Eric Fossum is not only an
inventor that has a stitched circuit patent applicable to sensors,
there's also this DPR forum post (reformatted a bit) :

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=17193647

> Title: Stitched circuits larger than the maximum reticle size in
> sub-micron process

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6690076.html

there are 3-imager video cameras, are there 3-imager still cameras? Bob Fleischer Digital Photography 14 02-07-2010 08:49 PM
Raw Imager Andrew Python 0 02-19-2007 05:54 PM
imager sample for text jcharth@hotmail.com Perl Misc 2 01-17-2007 02:01 PM
CMOS imager references? Don Stauffer Digital Photography 2 03-13-2006 04:38 PM
CCD Imager swnw Digital Photography 5 09-21-2003 07:05 AM

Advertisments