Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Password protect Internet Explorer icon

Password protect Internet Explorer icon

DB

Hi all
Can anyone tell me how to password protect the IE7 icon. I know how to put a
password on through Tools, Internet options, Content, enable etc, but that's
not what I want. What I would like to happen is when the ie7 icon is double
clicked I would like it to ask for a password before the Internet opens. Is
this possible. Hope I've explained myself well enough.
Many thanks
Dave

Aardvark

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 19:40:24 +0200, DB wrote:

> Hi all Kan anyone tell me how to password protect ze IE7 icon. I know
> how to put a password on drough Tools, Internet options, Kontent, enable
> etc, but dat's not vhat I vant. Vhat I vould like to happen ist vhen ze
> ie7 icon ist double klicked I vould like it to ask for a password before
> ze Internet opens. Ist dis possible. Hope I'fe explained meinself vell
> enough. Many danks Dafe

Hey, John. How ya doin', mate?

John Holmes

Aardvark "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

--
<snip>

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

DB wrote:

> Can anyone tell me how to password protect the IE7 icon. I know how to
> put a password on through Tools, Internet options, Content, enable
> etc, but that's not what I want. What I would like to happen is when
> the ie7 icon is double clicked I would like it to ask for a password
> before the Internet opens.

(It's the World Wide Web, not the Internet, which is much larger.)

First, why do you want to do this? if,
1. you want to keep your 85-year-old Granny off the web
2. you want to keep your 15-year-old son from pr0n sites
3. you want to let the computer sit at Starbucks and don't
want other patrons using it whilst you go for a pee

Your method may, just may, work against Granny. It won't work for any
teenager, who will just open it from the Start>Programs menu, or
directly execute iexpore.exe

Or, if I walk over to your computer with a copy of Opera on a CD,
install that, and never use Internet Explorer at all.

> Is this possible. Hope I've explained myself well enough.

Yeah, except for the reason, which will definitely taylor answers.

It would be simple for you to Rename the icon, change the picture, and
move it to the other corner of the screen. I'd bet Granny couldn't find
it then...

--
-bts

wisdomkiller & pain

DB wrote:

> Hi all
> Can anyone tell me how to password protect the IE7 icon. I know how to put
> a password on through Tools, Internet options, Content, enable etc, but
> that's not what I want. What I would like to happen is when the ie7 icon
> is double clicked I would like it to ask for a password before the
> Internet opens. Is this possible. Hope I've explained myself well enough.
> Many thanks
> Dave

You may be able to find such a program. But then, people are not limited to
that icon - they can just as well start IE from explorer or even from
a "run" or cmdline. Or, they can use ftp on a commandline to get the latest
firefox/opera/whatever (firefox installs happily without admin permissions,
to the users path) and surf away.
You'd have to lock your computer really tight, beginning from a good bios
password and a chainlock (popping out the battery is too easy) to prohibit
booting from cd or usbstick, up to using steadystate to establish sort of a
kiosk mode and reset each time the 'puter is restarted.
You won't be happy using that computer for anything at all, by yourself.

hwf

DB wrote:
> Hi all
> Can anyone tell me how to password protect the IE7 icon. I know how to
> put a password on through Tools, Internet options, Content, enable etc,
> but that's not what I want. What I would like to happen is when the ie7
> icon is double clicked I would like it to ask for a password before the
> Internet opens. Is this possible. Hope I've explained myself well enough.
> Many thanks
> Dave

Might help some...
http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-111...sageID=1662044

--
http://www.palindeception.com/
http://palinpics4truth.blogspot.com

chuckcar

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:gnk9du$t24$(E-Mail Removed):

> DB wrote:
>
>> Can anyone tell me how to password protect the IE7 icon. I know how to
>> put a password on through Tools, Internet options, Content, enable
>> etc, but that's not what I want. What I would like to happen is when
>> the ie7 icon is double clicked I would like it to ask for a password
>> before the Internet opens.

> (It's the World Wide Web, not the Internet, which is much larger.)

*wrong* IE can access FTP (along with other protocols) which *isn't* the
web. Besides it's *called* "Internet Properties" by IE. If you knew
*anything* about this, you'd know that.

For the OP, if you don't want people to use your computer for the
internet, you have a choice: a) you can prevent them from using it at all
by only having two accounts: yours and the supervisors both with
*different* non word or trivial passwords that only you know or b) you can
limit what can be done in the internet by IE with content restrictions.
They don't *have* to use IE for the web you know, they could easily
install another web browser and then your effort in b) wouldn't matter at
all.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Evan Platt

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 03:41:09 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>*wrong* IE can access FTP (along with other protocols)

Like?

>which *isn't* the web. Besides it's *called* "Internet Properties" by IE. If you knew
>*anything* about this, you'd know that.

Depends on where you look, idiot. Myne says Internet Options.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

chuckcar wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
>> (It's the World Wide Web, not the Internet, which is much larger.)

> *wrong* IE can access FTP (along with other protocols) which *isn't*
> the web.

'Splain how IE can do all the other Internet protocols then. It's the
Web. Do you think the OP knows what FTP is?

> Besides it's *called* "Internet Properties" by IE.

Like Microsoft gets everything right, eh?

> If you knew *anything* about this, you'd know that.

Oh look. Chuckturd is tryin' to get even! Never happen, boyo.

--
-bts

chuckcar

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:gnlccs$8al$(E-Mail Removed):

> chuckcar wrote:
>
>> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
>>> (It's the World Wide Web, not the Internet, which is much larger.)

>> *wrong* IE can access FTP (along with other protocols) which *isn't*
>> the web.

> 'Splain how IE can do all the other Internet protocols then. It's the
> Web. Do you think the OP knows what FTP is?
>
>> Besides it's *called* "Internet Properties" by IE.

> Like Microsoft gets everything right, eh?

They wrote it, they named it and it covers *more* than just IE itself.
Perfectly valid name for it.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )