Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Woosh Wireless:- phishing associated with email migration

Woosh Wireless:- phishing associated with email migration

hog.badger@mbox.bol.bg

Woosh support have their head in the sand. That is allowing phishing
efforts like the following to go unchecked. How many customers have
been fooled into revealing their details, I wonder.

---- quote ---
Dear Woosh Email Account Owner,

The Woosh email server migration due to occur on 16 February 2009 has
been delayed due to technical reasons. To complete your Woosh webmail
account, you must reply to this email immediately and enter your
Password here (*********)

This message is from Woosh messaging center to all Woosh email account
owners. We are currently upgrading our data base and e-mail account
center. We are deleting all unused Woosh email accounts to create more
space for new accounts.

To prevent your account from being closed, you will have to update it
below so that we will know that it's a present used account.

CONFIRM YOUR EMAIL IDENTITY BELOW

Email Username : .......... .....
EMAIL Password : ................
Date of Birth : .................
Country or Territory : ..........

Warning!!! Account owner that refuses to update his or her account
within Seven days of receiving this warning will lose his or her
account permanently.

Thank you for using Woosh Email Account.
Warning Code:VSZ991201UT21

Copyright Woosh 2009. All rights reserved

starlyte

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Woosh support have their head in the sand. That is allowing phishing
> efforts like the following to go unchecked. How many customers have
> been fooled into revealing their details, I wonder.
>
> ---- quote ---
> Dear Woosh Email Account Owner,
>
> The Woosh email server migration due to occur on 16 February 2009 has
> been delayed due to technical reasons. To complete your Woosh webmail
> account, you must reply to this email immediately and enter your
> Password here (*********)
>
> This message is from Woosh messaging center to all Woosh email account
> owners. We are currently upgrading our data base and e-mail account
> center. We are deleting all unused Woosh email accounts to create more
> space for new accounts.
>
> To prevent your account from being closed, you will have to update it
> below so that we will know that it's a present used account.
>
> CONFIRM YOUR EMAIL IDENTITY BELOW
>
> Email Username : .......... .....
> EMAIL Password : ................
> Date of Birth : .................
> Country or Territory : ..........
>
> Warning!!! Account owner that refuses to update his or her account
> within Seven days of receiving this warning will lose his or her
> account permanently.
>
> Thank you for using Woosh Email Account.
> Warning Code:VSZ991201UT21
>
> Copyright Woosh 2009. All rights reserved

Explain to me how you expect woosh stopping people sending you emails
trying to get your account information
Best they can really do is remind customers that they will never ask
customers for passwords

hog.badger@mbox.bol.bg

On Feb 20, 12:48*pm, starlyte <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Woosh support have their head in the sand. *That is allowing phishing
> > efforts like the following to go unchecked. *How many customers have
> > been fooled into revealing their details, I wonder.

> > ---- quote ---
> > Dear Woosh Email Account Owner,

> > The Woosh email server migration due to occur on 16 February 2009 has
> > been delayed due to technical reasons. To complete your Woosh webmail
> > account, you must reply to this email immediately and enter your
> > Password *here (*********)

> > This message is from Woosh messaging center to all Woosh email account
> > owners. We are currently upgrading our data base and e-mail account
> > center. We are deleting all unused Woosh email accounts to create more
> > space for new accounts.

> > To prevent your account from being closed, you will have to update it
> > below so that we will know that it's a present used account.

> > CONFIRM YOUR EMAIL IDENTITY BELOW

> > Email Username : .......... .....
> > EMAIL Password : ................
> > Date of Birth : .................
> > Country or Territory : ..........

> > Warning!!! Account owner that refuses to update his or her account
> > within Seven days of receiving this warning will lose his or her
> > account permanently.

> > Thank you for using Woosh Email Account.
> > Warning Code:VSZ991201UT21

> > Copyright Woosh 2009. All rights reserved

> Best they can really do is remind customers that they will never ask
> customers for passwords

They have not done that. They have done nothing. They are not
acknowledging complaints, not keeping their customers informed, and
not warning that these official-looking emails are not part of the
email migration process. The phishing email gives us more information
about the status of the email migration than Woosh itself gives it's
customers.

Richard

> They have not done that. They have done nothing. They are not
> acknowledging complaints, not keeping their customers informed, and
> not warning that these official-looking emails are not part of the
> email migration process. The phishing email gives us more information
> about the status of the email migration than Woosh itself gives it's
> customers.

Anyone stupid enough to be with woosh is probably stupid enough to fall
for that crap despite being told not to so why bother really.

Rob Davison

Richard wrote:

> Anyone stupid enough to be with woosh is probably stupid enough to fall
> for that crap despite being told not to so why bother really.

I get a (reasonably) reliable 1.5Mbit/second connection with a
5GB cap for $40/month and I'm 50 kilometres from the nearest town
with traffic lights.

I'd be interested to hear what better options you think are
available to me?

Rob.
--
Maple Glen http://www.mapleglen.co.nz/
Images http://www.pbase.com/mapleglen/

Nik Coughlin

"Rob Davison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gnlbue$eas$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Richard wrote:
>
>> Anyone stupid enough to be with woosh is probably stupid enough to fall
>> for that crap despite being told not to so why bother really.

> I get a (reasonably) reliable 1.5Mbit/second connection with a
> 5GB cap for $40/month and I'm 50 kilometres from the nearest town
> with traffic lights.
>
> I'd be interested to hear what better options you think are
> available to me?

I'll chip in here. If you're willing to put up with the speed/latency there
are no better options.

I just moved house and cancelled my Vodafone ADSL before doing so, as I was
sharing the cost with my flatmates which made the price very reasonable for
full speed, big cap etc., but with just me using it at the new place it was
not going to be cost effective at all, especially as I have no need for a
landline.

Looking at plans just for myself, the market is *completely* shithouse.

I compared most of the NZ ISPs (I got bored after doing the main ones and
some of the smaller ones, so maybe there's some obscure small ISP with a
great deal that I missed), with a criteria of minimum 5GB cap and faster
than 512kbps download.

Spreadsheet here:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...ZNsubfDg&gid=0

Cheapest naked plan is only $10 less than the cheapest non-naked ADSL/home
line plan - not such a great deal when you consider that home line plans
cost around $45. Where does the $35 difference go?

In the comparisons in the above spreadsheet, Woosh is far and away the
cheapest that fits my criteria, at $39.95 it's nearly half the price of the
next cheapest, Snap's "Naked DSL A" plan for $69.95

Looks alright on paper ay? Unfortunately for Woosh, I've been with them
before and swore never to go back. Latency was horrible and even living in
downtown Auckland I sometimes had problems with it dropping out entirely.

Given that most of my Internet usage is at work and I'm hardly ever home,
$70/month for a decent connection, at the cheapest, just doesn't seem
reasonable so I've opted for no home Internet at all.

Terrible state of affairs!

EMB

Nik Coughlin wrote:

> Cheapest naked plan is only $10 less than the cheapest non-naked
> ADSL/home line plan - not such a great deal when you consider that home
> line plans cost around $45. Where does the $35 difference go?

We're being raped by a combination of Telecom profiteering on the naked
copper (and also international connectivity via SX) and greedy ISPs. A
$10/month saving and in return you get a unreliable phone with crap call
quality - thieving bastards really.

> Given that most of my Internet usage is at work and I'm hardly ever
> home, $70/month for a decent connection, at the cheapest, just doesn't
> seem reasonable so I've opted for no home Internet at all.

Contact Helix - they don't have any wireless pricing on their website at
the moment but they used to be pretty competitive and light-years ahead
of Woosh.

http://helix.net.nz/index.php

hog.badger@mbox.bol.bg

On Feb 20, 1:16*am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Woosh support have their head in the sand. *That is allowing phishing
> efforts like the following to go unchecked. *How many customers have
> been fooled into revealing their details, I wonder.
>
> ---- quote ---
> Dear Woosh Email Account Owner,
>
> The Woosh email server migration due to occur on 16 February 2009 has
> been delayed due to technical reasons. To complete your Woosh webmail
> account, you must reply to this email immediately and enter your
> Password *here (*********)
>
> This message is from Woosh messaging center to all Woosh email account
> owners. We are currently upgrading our data base and e-mail account
> center. We are deleting all unused Woosh email accounts to create more
> space for new accounts.
>
> To prevent your account from being closed, you will have to update it
> below so that we will know that it's a present used account.
>
> CONFIRM YOUR EMAIL IDENTITY BELOW
>
> Email Username : .......... .....
> EMAIL Password : ................
> Date of Birth : .................
> Country or Territory : ..........
>
> Warning!!! Account owner that refuses to update his or her account
> within Seven days of receiving this warning will lose his or her
> account permanently.
>
> Thank you for using Woosh Email Account.
> Warning Code:VSZ991201UT21
>
> Copyright Woosh 2009. All rights reserved

Apparently sufficient numbers of Woosh clients gave out their
passwords that the Woosh email servers have been swamped by outgoing
spam.... hence the degraded email service.... emails taking up to five
hours to get through.

Alan

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>Apparently sufficient numbers of Woosh clients gave out their
>passwords that the Woosh email servers have been swamped by outgoing
>spam.... hence the degraded email service.... emails taking up to
>five
>hours to get through.

LOL!

Where did you hear that from?

--

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

(E-Mail Removed)

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

email blocked as phishing by MS Mail joled@rcn.com Computer Support 4 03-27-2007 06:36 PM
Bizarre URL in phishing email tom Cisco 1 03-14-2006 04:34 AM
Phishing email. joevan Computer Support 11 06-12-2005 02:00 PM
Woosh to Woosh Toxickiwi NZ Computing 7 11-01-2004 08:55 AM
ADSL to Woosh migration (whos do it and what is your experience) ufo_hk NZ Computing 7 01-21-2004 10:40 AM

Advertisments