Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > The very, very strang thing (tables)

The very, very strang thing (tables)

Travis Newbury

On Feb 27, 4:33*am, "Nicole" <Wagner> wrote:
> > "hire a designer or take a class". *That's my advice.

> This advise is mean, because it says, "You are too stupid, to improve anything by yourself." And btw it is not the idea of the usenet to say *"search elsewhere".

If you had a booger on your nose, would you want me to tell you? Well
your site is a booger on your nose., There I told you. (I am sorry I
said that, it just sounded funny when I thought of it, your site is
not a booger)

Why is this mean? Because I you that your site would look better if
you hired a designer or if you took a design class? Do you disagree?
Do you think either of those things would not help your site? You
don't disagree with my message, you just disagree with how I said it.

> Perhaps you can improve your posting and be more constructive what to change in detail.

Nicole, if I offended you, then you will need to get a thicker skin.
I am not mean, I am very blunt, and no, I don't take into
consideration your feeling when I say something. If I think something
sucks I will say it sucks. I will offer direction to what I think
sucks (in your case the design and especially the colors). From there
it is up to you to decide if you agree with what I think sucks. If
you do, then you will take my advice (which I clearly gave you, hire
someone or get some training), and I pointed you to your first
training, kulers, which I believe you liked because you wrote to me:

"Thank you for the link.
It looks really great. "

William Gill

Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> Travis Newbury wrote:
>> On Feb 27, 8:22 am, "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Well as an artist I can say any tube of paint labeled as "flesh" is
>>> misnamed, no one's skin is that color! The color of skin regardless of
>>> race is very complex with hues of reds, blues, and greens...

>> Not according to crayola...

> Of course they *are* the authority of racial coloring with "Indian Red"
> They had to change the name due to PC pressure but the only problem was
> "Indian Red" did *not* refer to Native American skin color but of a red
> earth pigment from *India* used in paints for centuries...

Yes, and how much more interesting life will be when we eliminate all
those potentially offensive adjectives in favor of the more precise, and
of course politically acceptable "#F9BEEB."

I can't wait to read the exciting literature and poetry written in this
new style.

William Gill

Sherm Pendley wrote:
> dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> There is nothing wrong with blunt, you confuse it with crassness

> Indeed.
>
> Telling someone what sucks, why it sucks, and how they can make it not
> suck, is blunt. It may be painful to hear, but it's productive.
>
> Simply telling someone what sucks, without offering a single suggestion
> about how to improve it, is crassness. It's just inflicting pain for its
> own sake, and there's nothing productive about it.
>
> sherm--

One mans meat is another mans poison.

Oh! maybe I should change that to "One person's meat is another
person's poison."

No, No! It should be "One being's meat is another being's poison."

Anyway, Travis expressed an opinion. Maybe not eloquently, or
tactfully, but an opinion. Usually the stronger the opinion, the more
forceful the delivery, not necessarily the more definitive. Travis
didn't like the original color scheme. That's not a crime (at least not
yet). Even though the colors were technically analogous, I didn't
particularly like the scheme either, and I like the current version even
less. I have groomed the HTML and CSS spec, and can not find any
prohibition of "ugly", "sucks" or even any restriction on "not what
Travis likes." Perhaps someday they will be able to boil it all down
to a mathematical formula, and feed it into a program, and then we can
all find something else to do with our time.

As for the infliction of pain? The OP can chose to be hurt, or can take
it for what it's worth. They can either reevaluate the scheme, consider
the source, or tell Travis "Actually those are the colors I wanted, so
thank you very much, but #@$% off." (preferably in their own mind and
not in this group, but it's the OP's choice) Travis can then chose to
be "hurt" that his opinion was rejected, or he can (and most likely
will) say to himself "Your problem, not mine. You asked, I answered."

Just because someone says something "sucks" doesn't mean it does. Hell,
there are some people who would cause me to completely redo a design if
they didn't think it "sucked." If a head banger didn't think my funeral
parlor design "sucked" I would worry.

William Gill

Travis Newbury wrote:
> On Feb 27, 3:06 pm, Awful Dog Autry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Life sucks. It sucks because people hurt you. You could kill them all
>> and rule the Earth as you liked.

> Sounds like you just caught your significant other cheating on you...

No it sounds like they have a sardonic sense of irony.

Of course they could be psychopathic, in which case disregard my
previous statement.

William Gill

Travis Newbury wrote:
> On Feb 27, 4:33 am, "Nicole" <Wagner> wrote:
>> Perhaps you can improve your posting and be more constructive what to change in detail.

> Nicole, if I offended you, then you will need to get a thicker skin.
> I am not mean, I am very blunt, and no, I don't take into
> consideration your feeling when I say something. If I think something
> sucks I will say it sucks. I will offer direction to what I think
> sucks (in your case the design and especially the colors). From there
> it is up to you to decide if you agree with what I think sucks. If
> you do, then you will take my advice (which I clearly gave you, hire
> someone or get some training), and I pointed you to your first
> training, kulers, which I believe you liked because you wrote to me:
>
> "Thank you for the link.
> It looks really great. "

Don't know why but I keep thinking "NOTICE ENGAGE BRAIN BEFORE OPERATING
MOUTH (keyboard)" or "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

The OP is obviously new both here and to HTML, so it is unlikely they
have followed this newsgroup. OP would have little perspective on your
opinions or how you express them. That having been said, I seem to
detect a negative tint to some of your recent posts. I don't mean to
analyze only to point out the apparent incongruity.

I know for myself there are times when external (or internal) factors
cause my attempts at rapier wit, come across as malicious daggers.
Recognizing that, I can usually recognize where my head is, and can
chose the appropriate blade.

Awful Dog Autry

On 28 Feb 2009, Jani <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 27 Feb., 21:06, Awful Dog Autry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> > Indeed.

>> > Telling someone what sucks, why it sucks, and how they can make it
>> > not suck, is blunt. It may be painful to hear, but it's
>> > productive.

>> > Simply telling someone what sucks, without offering a single
>> > suggestion about how to improve it, is crassness. It's just
>> > inflicting pain for it

>> > own sake, and there's nothing productive about it.

>> Life sucks. *It sucks because people hurt you. *You could kill them

> ll
>> and rule the Earth as you liked.

> It is not always another person who hurt you. Very often it is your
> own fault because you do **** and you have to face the consequences.
> But if you continue to try hard to get a better life and you still
> don't succeed... Well, then propably someone is fooling you. And in
> most times this someone is the politics. So don't hesitate to get rid
> of the stupid leaders and hoot 'em out of the office.
>> --
>> Awful Dog Autry

What do you think I am, an owl with a grudge? My irony was meant to be
serio-comic rather than particularly didactic but to focus on one point
of your reply which caught my attention, I do not blame myself for
shitting although the resultant odor can be quite consequential.

--
Awful Dog Autry

Awful Dog Autry

On 28 Feb 2009, Travis Newbury <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Feb 27, 3:06*pm, Awful Dog Autry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Life sucks. *It sucks because people hurt you. *You could kill them a

> ll
>> and rule the Earth as you liked.

> Sounds like you just caught your significant other cheating on you...

No, it's just that she refuses to acknowledge my greatness, the bitch.

--
Awful Dog Autry