Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > The very, very strang thing (tables)

The very, very strang thing (tables)

Nicole

@David:
Thank you for your posting.

Travis Newbury wrote:

> On Feb 25, 7:27*am, David Segall <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > It is mean. You have withheld any practical advice on how to improve
> > the colours in favour of a lecture on the "bleeding obvious" point
> > that web sites should look attractive.

> "hire a designer or take a class". That's my advice.

This advise is mean, because it says, "You are too stupid, to improve anything by yourself." And btw it is not the idea of the usenet to say "search elsewhere".

Perhaps you can improve your posting and be more constructive what to change in detail.

e.g. List 10 Colors and their purpose here which will work nicely in readability, intended expression and optic.

Nicole

Jonathan N. Little

Nicole wrote:

> English is not my native's tongue.
> If you say "Flesh, off orange, and gray" - sorry, I cannot find out by these words, what exactly is the problem to you.
>
> Do you think, you can be more verbose?
> "Flesh"? "Off organge"?

What he means is I think:

"Flesh": the pinkish color used for skin color

"off orange": a shade or tint deviating from pure bright orange

"gray" or grey: a middle value between white and black

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Jonathan N. Little

polymer wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 07:49:13 -0500, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>
>> Nicole wrote:
>>
>>> English is not my native's tongue.
>>> If you say "Flesh, off orange, and gray" - sorry, I cannot find out by
>>> these words, what exactly is the problem to you.
>>>
>>> Do you think, you can be more verbose? "Flesh"? "Off organge"?

>> What he means is I think:
>>
>> "Flesh": the pinkish color used for skin color

> about #ccb7b6 - but note that this old usage does not
> consider the real range of flesh tones; my favorite oil
> paint at least specifies 'Caucasian' flesh tone.

Well as an artist I can say any tube of paint labeled as "flesh" is
misnamed, no one's skin is that color! The color of skin regardless of
race is very complex with hues of reds, blues, and greens...

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Awful Dog Autry

On 27 Feb 2009, Sherm Pendley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> There is nothing wrong with blunt, you confuse it with crassness

> Indeed.
>
> Telling someone what sucks, why it sucks, and how they can make it not
> suck, is blunt. It may be painful to hear, but it's productive.
>
> Simply telling someone what sucks, without offering a single suggestion
> about how to improve it, is crassness. It's just inflicting pain for its
> own sake, and there's nothing productive about it.

Life sucks. It sucks because people hurt you. You could kill them all
and rule the Earth as you liked.

--
Awful Dog Autry

Gzuz Sayvze

On 27 Feb 2009, polymer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Do you think, you can be more verbose? "Flesh"? "Off organge"?

>> What he means is I think:
>>
>> "Flesh": the pinkish color used for skin color

> about #ccb7b6 - but note that this old usage does not
> consider the real range of flesh tones; my favorite oil
> paint at least specifies 'Caucasian' flesh tone.
>

>> "off orange": a shade or tint deviating from pure bright orange

> depends on whether the "off" is chromatic or value based "off":
> red-orange/yellow-orange or greyed-orange.
>>
>> "gray" or grey: a middle value between white and blac

> fairly near #888.

Actually, the official value is #808080.

--
Gzuz

Jani

On 27 Feb., 21:06, Awful Dog Autry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 27 Feb 2009, Sherm Pendley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> >> There is nothing wrong with blunt, you confuse it with crassness

> > Indeed.

> > Telling someone what sucks, why it sucks, and how they can make it not
> > suck, is blunt. It may be painful to hear, but it's productive.

> > Simply telling someone what sucks, without offering a single suggestion
> > about how to improve it, is crassness. It's just inflicting pain for its
> > own sake, and there's nothing productive about it.

> Life sucks. *It sucks because people hurt you. *You could kill them all
> and rule the Earth as you liked.

It is not always another person who hurt you. Very often it is your
own fault because you do **** and you have to face the consequences.
But if you continue to try hard to get a better life and you still
don't succeed... Well, then propably someone is fooling you. And in
most times this someone is the politics. So don't hesitate to get rid
of the stupid leaders and hoot 'em out of the office.
> --
> Awful Dog Autry

Travis Newbury

On Feb 27, 8:22*am, "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Well as an artist I can say any tube of paint labeled as "flesh" is
> misnamed, no one's skin is that color! The color of skin regardless of
> race is very complex with hues of reds, blues, and greens...

Not according to crayola...

Travis Newbury

On Feb 27, 3:06*pm, Awful Dog Autry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Life sucks. *It sucks because people hurt you. *You could kill them all
> and rule the Earth as you liked.

Sounds like you just caught your significant other cheating on you...

David Segall

Sherm Pendley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> There is nothing wrong with blunt, you confuse it with crassness

>Indeed.
>
>Telling someone what sucks, why it sucks, and how they can make it not
>suck, is blunt. It may be painful to hear, but it's productive.
>
>Simply telling someone what sucks, without offering a single suggestion
>about how to improve it, is crassness. It's just inflicting pain for its
>own sake, and there's nothing productive about it.

While I agree with almost every word in your post I don't think Travis
is being malicious. He thinks "visually" and he is, so far, slow to
translate his visual reaction into useful advice. Similarly, it is
difficult for me to frame a question in the visual terms that Travis
might understand because that is not the way I think. I have noticed
that when visual artists are interviewed on radio or TV they are often
boring and/or incomprehensible because they are unable to translate
their work into words.

I believe that there is a significant (and interesting) difference in
the way people "see" the world and that bridging the gap would improve
the web.

Jonathan N. Little

Travis Newbury wrote:
> On Feb 27, 8:22 am, "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Well as an artist I can say any tube of paint labeled as "flesh" is
>> misnamed, no one's skin is that color! The color of skin regardless of
>> race is very complex with hues of reds, blues, and greens...

> Not according to crayola...

Of course they *are* the authority of racial coloring with "Indian Red"
They had to change the name due to PC pressure but the only problem was
"Indian Red" did *not* refer to Native American skin color but of a red
earth pigment from *India* used in paints for centuries...

--
Take care,

Jonathan