Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Re: Http Module Problem: not all requests hit my module why?

Re: Http Module Problem: not all requests hit my module why?

Jiong Feng

Hi,

Is there a way to let a request without filename come to http module?
For example, http://localhost/abc/def
where abc and def are not virtual directory, just random words.

Thanks
Jiong

"Brian Combs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hello
> Http Modules run in the .Net framework. They will only see requests that
> are handled by the framework and not all requests to IIS. If you need to
> see all the requests you should write an ISAPI filter. You may be able to
> create a script map of .* to map all request to the .net framework dll but
> you could then run into other problems.
>
> Thanks
> Brian [MS]
> Microsoft Developer Support

rights.

Bill Priess

Probably not as IIS still has issues when it comes to determining what is a
directory and what is not in a parsed URL.

HTH,
Bill P.
"Jiong Feng" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3fbbb967$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to let a request without filename come to http module?
> For example, http://localhost/abc/def
> where abc and def are not virtual directory, just random words.
>
> Thanks
> Jiong
>
> "Brian Combs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Hello
> > Http Modules run in the .Net framework. They will only see requests that
> > are handled by the framework and not all requests to IIS. If you need to
> > see all the requests you should write an ISAPI filter. You may be able

> > create a script map of .* to map all request to the .net framework dll

but
> > you could then run into other problems.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Brian [MS]
> > Microsoft Developer Support

> rights.

Wade A. Hilmo [MS]

Hi Bill and Jiong,

If I understand correctly, the question is "Can IIS route requests with
arbitrary URLs - that may or may not exist on the file system - to my ISAPI
extension?"

The answer to this is "yes". You can write an ISAPI filter on
SF_NOTIFY_PREPROC_HEADERS to look at the incoming URLs and determine if they
are interesting to you. If they are, then you can rewrite the URL so that
it points to your ISAPI extension. This is, for example, how the pre-ISA
proxy server works. It recognizes URLs directed to the proxy, stores the
original URL away so that the extension can get them later, and then rewites
the URL to msproxy.dll.

Since SF_NOTIFY_PREPROC_HEADERS happens before any analysis of the request
is done (only HTTP parsing has been done at this point), the URL from the
client does not have to correspond to anything. The filter can take care of
telling it where to go.

I'm not sure what you mean by "IIS still has issues when it comes to
determining what is a directory and what is not". IIS has no such
limitation.

Thank you,
-Wade A. Hilmo,
-Microsoft