Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Starting a process from ASP.NET

Starting a process from ASP.NET

Ale

I try to start a program with process.start method.
It normally starts but no window is displayed, i only
see the application process running on the taskmanager.

I think the process is executed in a separate application
context belonging to ASP.NET.

Theres a way to display that window and to have processes
to execute in the normal system context?

Thanks.

Bill Priess

First off, just to make sure (yes, I have seen this before...), you do know
that the process that you are going to kick off is going to be done on the
SERVER, and not the CLIENT, right?

Ok, good.. got that out of the way...

It doesn't really matter who kicked off the process, whether it be you or
the aspnet_wp... what matters is if the process that you started has a UI.
Try doing something simple like starting notepad.exe and see if that causes
the window to show up.

HTH,
Bill P.

"Ale" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:049901c3aec5$b52b25c0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I try to start a program with process.start method.
> It normally starts but no window is displayed, i only
> see the application process running on the taskmanager.
>
> I think the process is executed in a separate application
> context belonging to ASP.NET.
>
> Theres a way to display that window and to have processes
> to execute in the normal system context?
>
> Thanks.

Ale Ale

I try to start notepad.exe and calc.exe, they have a
UI and a main window.

I modified privileges of aspnet_wp process as follows :
in web config i have :

<identity impersonate="true" userName="system" password="autogenerate"/>

in machine.config :
<processModel enable="true" timeout="Infinite" idleTimeout="Infinite"
shutdownTimeout="0:00:05" requestLimit="Infinite"
requestQueueLimit="5000" restartQueueLimit="10" memoryLimit="60"
webGarden="false" cpuMask="0xffffffff" userName="system"
password="AutoGenerate" logLevel="Errors" clientConnectedCheck="0:00:05"
comAuthenticationLevel="Connect" comImpersonationLevel="Impersonate"
responseDeadlockInterval="00:03:00" maxWorkerThreads="20"
maxIoThreads="20"/>

notpad starts, but still without a window.
I see the process notepad running in the taskbar, started by system
user.