Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > css conflict (or html conflict)

css conflict (or html conflict)

charles cashion

I have the following in my <style> ...
p { font-family: arial;
font-size: 16pt;
margin-left: 50px;
margin-right: 50px;
}
p.indent
{ margin-left: 100px;
margin-right: 100px;
}

If I have in the body...

If I have
content-type: text/html
in the header, everything works as expected, as long as the text is
typical English text. But if the text includes one of the characters
associated with Croatian text...

If I have a "small Latin z with caron" (=BE)
Then you will see...
mo=BEe or

if I have a "small Latin s with caron" (=B9)
va=B9om or

if I have a "small Latin c with acute" (=E
bu=E8ar

If you actually want to see the z w/caron or s w/caron or c with acute,
then you change two lines in the header

content-type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-2"
content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable

THE SITUATION: The "quoted-printable" MUST be present to see the
Croatian characters BUT it breaks the p.indent style.

THE QUESTION...Is there some other way to print the Croatian characters
w/out breaking the p.indent definition?
Tnx,
Charles

Jukka K. Korpela

charles cashion wrote:

> I have the following in my <style> ...

Things would be easier if you explained the whole context. It seems that you
are referring to e-mail in HTML format.

> p { font-family: arial;
> font-size: 16pt;

Rather odd - refreshing deviation from common cluelessness of fixed tiny
font sizes, but still a fixed size.

A class name like "indent" is not descriptive of meaning.

> If I have
> content-type: text/html
> in the header, everything works as expected, as long as the text is
> typical English text. But if the text includes one of the characters
> associated with Croatian text...
>
> If I have a "small Latin z with caron" (=BE)
> Then you will see...
> mo=BEe or

Well, if you have "=BE" in the data, why should it look like something else?

> If you actually want to see the z w/caron or s w/caron or c with
> acute, then you change two lines in the header
>
> content-type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-2"
> content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable
>
> THE SITUATION: The "quoted-printable" MUST be present to see the
> Croatian characters BUT it breaks the p.indent style.

You need to provide a testable sample case. You're probably just
misunderstanding something, or you have failed to QP encode _all_ the data
in the message. After all, an "=" isn't an "=" when Quoted Printable
encoding is applied. This means that if you have <style type="text/css"> for
example, who knows what will happen?

> THE QUESTION...Is there some other way to print the Croatian
> characters w/out breaking the p.indent definition?

You can use them as such, provided that you use them in some known encoding
like UTF-8 or ISO-8859-2 and you specify both the encoding and (for e-mail)
the transfer method.

Or you might escape the issue of using entity and character references, such
as &zcaron;.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

charles cashion

Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> charles cashion wrote:
>
>> I have the following in my <style> ...

> Things would be easier if you explained the whole context. It seems that
> you are referring to e-mail in HTML format.
>
>> p { font-family: arial;
>> font-size: 16pt;

> Rather odd - refreshing deviation from common cluelessness of fixed tiny
> font sizes, but still a fixed size.

> A class name like "indent" is not descriptive of meaning.
>
>> If I have
>> content-type: text/html
>> in the header, everything works as expected, as long as the text is
>> typical English text. But if the text includes one of the characters
>> associated with Croatian text...
>>
>> If I have a "small Latin z with caron" (=BE)
>> Then you will see...
>> mo=BEe or

> Well, if you have "=BE" in the data, why should it look like something
> else?
>
>> If you actually want to see the z w/caron or s w/caron or c with
>> acute, then you change two lines in the header
>>
>> content-type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-2"
>> content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable
>>
>> THE SITUATION: The "quoted-printable" MUST be present to see the
>> Croatian characters BUT it breaks the p.indent style.

> You need to provide a testable sample case. You're probably just
> misunderstanding something, or you have failed to QP encode _all_ the
> data in the message. After all, an "=" isn't an "=" when Quoted
> Printable encoding is applied. This means that if you have <style
> type="text/css"> for example, who knows what will happen?
>
>> THE QUESTION...Is there some other way to print the Croatian
>> characters w/out breaking the p.indent definition?

> You can use them as such, provided that you use them in some known
> encoding like UTF-8 or ISO-8859-2 and you specify both the encoding and
> (for e-mail) the transfer method.
>
> Or you might escape the issue of using entity and character references,
> such as &zcaron;.

Yucca,
Thank you for your reply.
Normally, most responders ask for the URL of a web page.
I think, since my question is rather obscure, I will put
it into a web site, and then ask the question again.
Tnx,
Charles