Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > New Samsung Monitor Problems

New Samsung Monitor Problems

Another

Using Windows XP SP3
GeForce FX 5200
Samsung Syncmaster 2233SW
Monitor connected via DVI connection

I just got a new Samsung monitor for which the optimum resolution is
1920x1080 at 60 Hertz. I downloaded the latest Nvidia driver for my
video card; this driver has 1920x1080 as an available resolution. When
I select this resolution, the task bar is placed below the viewable area
on the screen. Using the Info option on the monitor's built in menu, I
can see that the monitor still thinks that it is being driven at a
resolution of 1280x1024. There is no option on the monitor's menu to
manually adjust the resolution. How do I force the monitor to recognize
the resolution to which I have the video card set?

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Another <.> wrote:

>Using Windows XP SP3
>GeForce FX 5200
>Samsung Syncmaster 2233SW
>Monitor connected via DVI connection
>
>I just got a new Samsung monitor for which the optimum resolution is
>1920x1080 at 60 Hertz. I downloaded the latest Nvidia driver for my
>video card; this driver has 1920x1080 as an available resolution. When
>I select this resolution, the task bar is placed below the viewable area
>on the screen. Using the Info option on the monitor's built in menu, I
>can see that the monitor still thinks that it is being driven at a
>resolution of 1280x1024. There is no option on the monitor's menu to
>manually adjust the resolution. How do I force the monitor to recognize
>the resolution to which I have the video card set?

You need to purchase a video card that can handle that resolution.

GeForce FX 5200: "A full 128MB of 64-bit double-pumping DDR SDRAM
memory delivers cutting edge graphics at a full 2048x1536 resolution "

Your old one can't, check out www.newegg.com they usually have bundles
on sale (video cards and higher rated power supplies).

--

A Computer Repair Utility Kit You Can Run From a Thumb Drive
http://www.technibble.com/computer-repair-utility-kit/

Another

> You need to purchase a video card that can handle that resolution.
>
> GeForce FX 5200: "A full 128MB of 64-bit double-pumping DDR SDRAM
> memory delivers cutting edge graphics at a full 2048x1536 resolution "
>
> Your old one can't, check out www.newegg.com they usually have bundles
> on sale (video cards and higher rated power supplies).

I though that might be the problem, but the Nvidia driver makes it look
like that resolution is available and valid for my graphics card.
Thanks for the input.

Another

> did you uninstall the old video driver first?

I have NVidia cards on several machine, and the newer drivers have
always successfully replaced the older drivers when upgrading.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Another <.> wrote:

>> You need to purchase a video card that can handle that resolution.

>> GeForce FX 5200: "A full 128MB of 64-bit double-pumping DDR SDRAM
>> memory delivers cutting edge graphics at a full 2048x1536 resolution "
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130188

>> Your old one can't, check out www.newegg.com they usually have bundles
>> on sale (video cards and higher rated power supplies).

>I though that might be the problem, but the Nvidia driver makes it look
>like that resolution is available and valid for my graphics card.
>Thanks for the input.

My bad I read your post wrong, your want
1920x1080 at 60 Hertz. your card can handle that.

I just glanced and read 1024x ---
--

A Computer Repair Utility Kit You Can Run From a Thumb Drive
http://www.technibble.com/computer-repair-utility-kit/

Another

> Another <.> wrote:
>

>>> You need to purchase a video card that can handle that resolution.

>>> GeForce FX 5200: "A full 128MB of 64-bit double-pumping DDR SDRAM
>>> memory delivers cutting edge graphics at a full 2048x1536 resolution "
>>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130188

>>> Your old one can't, check out www.newegg.com they usually have bundles
>>> on sale (video cards and higher rated power supplies).

>> I though that might be the problem, but the Nvidia driver makes it look
>> like that resolution is available and valid for my graphics card.
>> Thanks for the input.

> My bad I read your post wrong, your want
> 1920x1080 at 60 Hertz. your card can handle that.
>
> I just glanced and read 1024x ---

Talked to Samsung's tech support. The monitor will not recognize any
resolution above 1280x1024 even though the driver support several up to
1920x1080. It appears I have a defective monitor.