Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Network password

Network password

Amy

I have tried setting up my Netgear WGR614 v1 (firmware 1.4) with WPA-PSK.
When I set my password and tried to log back in, I got this error
message:

The network password needs to be 40bits or 104bits depending on your
network configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii characters or
10 or 26 hexadecimal characters.

What does this mean?
What 'Key Lifetetime' should I set (minutes)?

Also, if I have this enabled, does this mean I do not need to use Zone
Alarm anymore?

Pavel A.

"Amy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:EWmre.22250$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have tried setting up my Netgear WGR614 v1 (firmware 1.4) with WPA-PSK.
> When I set my password and tried to log back in, I got this error
> message:
>
> The network password needs to be 40bits or 104bits depending on your
> network configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii characters or
> 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters.
>
> What does this mean?

This means that if you enter the password as hexadecimal characters,
you must type exactly 10 characters (5 bytes) for 40-bit key,
or exactly 26 characters (13 bytes) for 104-bit key).
If you typed other number of characters than 10 or 26, or any
character that is not a hexadecimal digit, this is interpreted as ascii string.
In this mode, each character is a byte by itself.
So, valid length of the string in this case is either 5 or 13 charachers.
If this condition is not met, the string can't be accepted as a valid password.
Please check carefully what you type.
Perhaps you typed letter O instead if zero, or small L instead of 1 etc.

Regards,
--PA