Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Audio does not work

Audio does not work

Dominic Payer

Have you checked that the Realtek device is the default sound output
device? If you have an ATI graphics card the default device may be set
as the ATI card's HDMI sound output.

AstroBlackS wrote:
> My audio doesn't work. I have windows XP x64 edition. The on-board audio
> controls work fine, it registers when I plug speakers into the jacks, but I
> cannot get any sound.
>
> I've tried the following hotfix: support.microsoft.com/kb/835221
>
> but no luck. I also tried downloading the latest driver from Realtek, but
> also no luck.
>
> My mobo is an EVGA X58 series.
>
> Anyone know of any other hotfixes or updates that will help? Thanks!

AstroBlackS

I'm not certain what you mean. Was there a fix?

"(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:

> In <(E-Mail Removed)>, =?Utf-8?B?QXN0cm9CbGFja1M=?= <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >My audio doesn't work. I have windows XP x64 edition. The on-board audio
> >controls work fine, it registers when I plug speakers into the jacks, but I
> >cannot get any sound.
> >
> >I've tried the following hotfix: support.microsoft.com/kb/835221
> >
> >but no luck. I also tried downloading the latest driver from Realtek, but
> >also no luck.
> >
> >My mobo is an EVGA X58 series.
> >
> >Anyone know of any other hotfixes or updates that will help? Thanks!

> I had exactly the same problem.
>
> It turned out that the sound chip sent such a weak signal that it could not be
> heard on the (KVM shared) monitor speakers where the hardware volume was
> adjusted for the other computer.

AstroBlackS

I did make certain that the realtek device is selected as the audio device. I
even installed another sound card from an older computer I had (Sound Blaster
Live! 24bit), and even that won't play sound.

That's the main reason why I am certain that it is software/driver related,
as the computer says that all the devices are working properly, yet not a
sound will play.

johnsuth@nospam.com.au

In <(E-Mail Removed)>, =?Utf-8?B?QXN0cm9CbGFja1M=?= <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>I'm not certain what you mean. Was there a fix?

Yes, turn up the volume on speaker hardware.

>"(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:
>
>> In <(E-Mail Removed)>, =?Utf-8?B?QXN0cm9CbGFja1M=?= <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> >My audio doesn't work. I have windows XP x64 edition. The on-board audio
>> >controls work fine, it registers when I plug speakers into the jacks, but I
>> >cannot get any sound.
>> >
>> >I've tried the following hotfix: support.microsoft.com/kb/835221
>> >
>> >but no luck. I also tried downloading the latest driver from Realtek, but
>> >also no luck.
>> >
>> >My mobo is an EVGA X58 series.
>> >
>> >Anyone know of any other hotfixes or updates that will help? Thanks!

>> I had exactly the same problem.
>>
>> It turned out that the sound chip sent such a weak signal that it could not be
>> heard on the (KVM shared) monitor speakers where the hardware volume was
>> adjusted for the other computer.

Dominic Payer

If you have tried another sound card with the same result I would
suspect a fault with the speakers, cables or connections, unless the
sound volumes are muted or turned down below audible level.

This http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=100478630 suggests a possible
solution. If it is hardware related, the EVGA forums are the best place
for advice.