Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Audio does not work

Audio does not work

AstroBlackS

My audio doesn't work. I have windows XP x64 edition. The on-board audio
controls work fine, it registers when I plug speakers into the jacks, but I
cannot get any sound.

I've tried the following hotfix: support.microsoft.com/kb/835221

but no luck. I also tried downloading the latest driver from Realtek, but
also no luck.

My mobo is an EVGA X58 series.

Anyone know of any other hotfixes or updates that will help? Thanks!

AstroBlackS

I forgot to mention that I have SP2.

I was reading over some of the other threads and I seem to be having the
exact same issue as ktemp72 in the thread "Audio Drivers Problem with SP2"

Corsair

I've had some similar problems with Realtek drivers, that everything is
working fine,
but when I update the drivers to the latest version, I don´t know what
happens, that
it made a mesh and no audio it's heard (in win xp pro x32 and x64 machines).

I've solved that fix installing again the original drivers of the MOBO and
not touch
it a again, try it.

Cheers/ Corsair.
"AstroBlackS" <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en el mensaje
de noticias:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I forgot to mention that I have SP2.
>
> I was reading over some of the other threads and I seem to be having the
> exact same issue as ktemp72 in the thread "Audio Drivers Problem with SP2"

Bobby Johnson

I guess I'm lucky. So far I have not had my audio messed up
by any of the Realtek updates.

Corsair wrote:
> I've had some similar problems with Realtek drivers, that everything is
> working fine,
> but when I update the drivers to the latest version, I don´t know what
> happens, that
> it made a mesh and no audio it's heard (in win xp pro x32 and x64
> machines).
>
> I've solved that fix installing again the original drivers of the MOBO
> and not touch
> it a again, try it.
>
> Cheers/ Corsair.
> "AstroBlackS" <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en el
> mensaje de noticias:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I forgot to mention that I have SP2.
>>
>> I was reading over some of the other threads and I seem to be having the
>> exact same issue as ktemp72 in the thread "Audio Drivers Problem with
>> SP2"

Bobby Johnson

Have you tried contacting EVGA Tech Support?

AstroBlackS wrote:
> My audio doesn't work. I have windows XP x64 edition. The on-board audio
> controls work fine, it registers when I plug speakers into the jacks, but I
> cannot get any sound.
>
> I've tried the following hotfix: support.microsoft.com/kb/835221
>
> but no luck. I also tried downloading the latest driver from Realtek, but
> also no luck.
>
> My mobo is an EVGA X58 series.
>
> Anyone know of any other hotfixes or updates that will help? Thanks!

David B. Mathews

though I never listen as it seems like it is in our blood that if there is
an update available then we need it whether we really need it or not. Every
time I update I cross my fingers and so far only one time has a update
caused me a problem and then I deleted the whole program and started new
and just left the original program in. Of course you get the old adage if
it isn't broke don't try to fix it.
=============
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

johnsuth@nospam.com.au

In <(E-Mail Removed)>, =?Utf-8?B?QXN0cm9CbGFja1M=?= <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>My audio doesn't work. I have windows XP x64 edition. The on-board audio
>controls work fine, it registers when I plug speakers into the jacks, but I
>cannot get any sound.
>
>I've tried the following hotfix: support.microsoft.com/kb/835221
>
>but no luck. I also tried downloading the latest driver from Realtek, but
>also no luck.
>
>My mobo is an EVGA X58 series.
>
>Anyone know of any other hotfixes or updates that will help? Thanks!

I had exactly the same problem.

It turned out that the sound chip sent such a weak signal that it could not be
heard on the (KVM shared) monitor speakers where the hardware volume was
adjusted for the other computer.

AstroBlackS

Yes, they referred me to the kb article I mentioned in the 1st post.
Unfortunately that did not work. I contacted them again, and informed them of
the issue trying to install the hotfix and it not finding the update.inf
file. They recommended downloading it from another PC as the download must to
be corrupt. In the read-me on the kb articles, they specifically say it will
not work on 64-bit OS.

"Bobby Johnson" wrote:

> Have you tried contacting EVGA Tech Support?
>

> AstroBlackS wrote:
> > My audio doesn't work. I have windows XP x64 edition. The on-board audio
> > controls work fine, it registers when I plug speakers into the jacks, but I
> > cannot get any sound.
> >
> > I've tried the following hotfix: support.microsoft.com/kb/835221
> >
> > but no luck. I also tried downloading the latest driver from Realtek, but
> > also no luck.
> >
> > My mobo is an EVGA X58 series.
> >
> > Anyone know of any other hotfixes or updates that will help? Thanks!

AstroBlackS

Unfortunately I've had the issue from the start. I just built this computer
and used the drivers that came with everything. When those did not work, I
began to search for updates.

"Corsair" wrote:

> I've had some similar problems with Realtek drivers, that everything is
> working fine,
> but when I update the drivers to the latest version, I don´t know what
> happens, that
> it made a mesh and no audio it's heard (in win xp pro x32 and x64 machines).
>
> I've solved that fix installing again the original drivers of the MOBO and
> not touch
> it a again, try it.
>
> Cheers/ Corsair.
> "AstroBlackS" <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en el mensaje
> de noticias:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I forgot to mention that I have SP2.
> >
> > I was reading over some of the other threads and I seem to be having the
> > exact same issue as ktemp72 in the thread "Audio Drivers Problem with SP2"

Bobby Johnson

I seriously doubt this is a Windows problem and strongly
suggest going to the EVGA forum for you MB
http://www.evga.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=68

If you don't find any answers there, then RMA the board for
a replacement!

I have XP Pro x64, Vista x64, and Win & x64 all using
Realtek HD drivers and they all work.