Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Networks and win 98...

Networks and win 98...

Tony in Oz

Before I do it the hard way, I thought I'd pick your brains a bit and see if
anyone still remembers networking win 98 SE. I will be networking only 2
machines together, (preferably wirelessly) all they are running is a couple
of tills, and an eftpos system. The distance is about 50 or so metres, one
brick wall in between, and there is soem outside distance involved (IE they
are two separate buildings), both shops. Crossover cable is a possibility,
but not really that keen on organising the run of cable with its associated
drilling and feeding, etc. Does a wireless router or some such thing work
with win 98? Any thoughts appreciated. Cheers T.

EMB

Tony in Oz wrote:
> Before I do it the hard way, I thought I'd pick your brains a bit and see if
> anyone still remembers networking win 98 SE. I will be networking only 2
> machines together, (preferably wirelessly) all they are running is a couple
> of tills, and an eftpos system. The distance is about 50 or so metres, one
> brick wall in between, and there is soem outside distance involved (IE they
> are two separate buildings), both shops. Crossover cable is a possibility,
> but not really that keen on organising the run of cable with its associated
> drilling and feeding, etc. Does a wireless router or some such thing work
> with win 98? Any thoughts appreciated. Cheers T.

I'd use a pair of wireless routers in bridge mode - that way all the PCs
see is ethernet and Win98 copes with that just fine. Something like a
pair of Linksys WRT54Gs will work just fine (I look after a couple of
dozen links using them). For 50m you'll probably get away with
omni-directional antennae, although something like L5983 from DSE (part
number from Oz site) will make the connection bulletproof.

Just set the PCs up side by side via a switch and get everything
working, then set the 2 WAPs up with encryption and MAC filtering and
then connect via them, test the link and then move everything to the
separate buildings.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <hEoml.21356$(E-Mail Removed)>, Tony in Oz
wrote:

> Before I do it the hard way, I thought I'd pick your brains a bit and see
> if anyone still remembers networking win 98 SE.

By trying to keep this old crap going, aren't you just setting yourself up
for more grief down the track? You're just postponing the inevitable.

Tony in Oz

news:gndbv7$ik4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <hEoml.21356$(E-Mail Removed)>, Tony in Oz
> wrote:
>
>> Before I do it the hard way, I thought I'd pick your brains a bit and see
>> if anyone still remembers networking win 98 SE.

> By trying to keep this old crap going, aren't you just setting yourself up
> for more grief down the track? You're just postponing the inevitable.

Fair comment, Lawrence, and I happen to agree. However the customer
wants it to be done with his old machines, he runs a small menswear shop and
a small flower shop out the back, and he's loath to spend the money on the
upgrades as long as is W98 machines are still running... although I have
told him and he understands that these machines could fall over from old age
any time... Cheers T.

Tony in Oz

"EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:gnd99t$ljq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tony in Oz wrote:
>> Before I do it the hard way, I thought I'd pick your brains a bit and see
>> if anyone still remembers networking win 98 SE. I will be networking only
>> 2 machines together, (preferably wirelessly) all they are running is a
>> couple of tills, and an eftpos system. The distance is about 50 or so
>> metres, one brick wall in between, and there is soem outside distance
>> involved (IE they are two separate buildings), both shops. Crossover
>> cable is a possibility, but not really that keen on organising the run of
>> cable with its associated drilling and feeding, etc. Does a wireless
>> router or some such thing work with win 98? Any thoughts appreciated.
>> Cheers T.

> I'd use a pair of wireless routers in bridge mode - that way all the PCs
> see is ethernet and Win98 copes with that just fine. Something like a
> pair of Linksys WRT54Gs will work just fine (I look after a couple of
> dozen links using them). For 50m you'll probably get away with
> omni-directional antennae, although something like L5983 from DSE (part
> number from Oz site) will make the connection bulletproof.
>
> Just set the PCs up side by side via a switch and get everything working,
> then set the 2 WAPs up with encryption and MAC filtering and then connect
> via them, test the link and then move everything to the separate
> buildings.

Thanks EMB, I was thinking along similar lines, although you have gone
into a lot more detail than my brain had...

Richard

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <hEoml.21356$(E-Mail Removed)>, Tony in Oz
> wrote:
>
>> Before I do it the hard way, I thought I'd pick your brains a bit and see
>> if anyone still remembers networking win 98 SE.

> By trying to keep this old crap going, aren't you just setting yourself up
> for more grief down the track? You're just postponing the inevitable.

Why is it a problem? Its working ok at the moment, why would it change?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <gndgor$jc5$(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In message <hEoml.21356$(E-Mail Removed)>, Tony in Oz
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Before I do it the hard way, I thought I'd pick your brains a bit and
>>> see if anyone still remembers networking win 98 SE.

>> By trying to keep this old crap going, aren't you just setting yourself
>> up for more grief down the track? You're just postponing the inevitable.

> Why is it a problem? Its working ok at the moment, why would it change?

Because of what's going to happen when it stops working.

Richard

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <gndgor$jc5$(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard wrote:
>
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>> By trying to keep this old crap going, aren't you just setting yourself
>>> up for more grief down the track? You're just postponing the inevitable.

>> Why is it a problem? Its working ok at the moment, why would it change?

> Because of what's going to happen when it stops working.

Same thing that happens when any other thing stops working, it gets
replaced.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <gndjpc$n26$(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>> Why is it a problem? Its working ok at the moment, why would it change?

>> Because of what's going to happen when it stops working.

> Same thing that happens when any other thing stops working, it gets
> replaced.

What do you do in the meantime?

Richard

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>> Because of what's going to happen when it stops working.

>> Same thing that happens when any other thing stops working, it gets
>> replaced.

> What do you do in the meantime?

Use a spare, surely there are plans in place for failures of any type,
despite the age of the equipment?