Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Windows Vista SP1 client not getting ip address from 3750

Reply
Thread Tools

Windows Vista SP1 client not getting ip address from 3750

 
 
news.verizon.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-17-2009
Last year, I configured a dhcp pool on a 3750 switch for a lan party at
work(I work for a university and part of the students activities). No
problems all worked fine with Vista.

It was time for the lan party again at work. I put the dhcp pool back on
the switch but the Vista clients would not pull an ip address, but when I
did a sh ip dhcp binds it showed their macs were bound to the ip addresses.
The Vista client all had auto configure 169.254 addresses. I tried some
things, googled and got some registry hacks we tried for the tcp system
parameters but no luck. I took my Helium Spetrum Analyzer running XP and it
got an address so I know the switch is configured correctly.

For the work around I made the int vlan ip address 169.254.0.1/16 updated
the switch settings and the lan party is going down.

I found some vague references to this problem on my google searches, but
nothing solid.

Is there something that needs to be done on the clients to pull an ip
address from the dhcp pool on the switch? They pulled an ip address from
their helper address to the QIP DHCP server? XP machines work with no
problems.

Thanks,

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
bod43
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-17-2009
On 17 Feb, 00:56, "news.verizon.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Last year, I configured a dhcp pool on a 3750 switch for a lan party at
> work(I work for a university and part of the students activities). * No
> problems all worked fine with Vista.
>
> It was time for the lan party again at work. *I put the dhcp pool back on
> the switch but the Vista clients would not pull an ip address, but when I
> did a sh ip dhcp binds it showed their macs were bound to the ip addresses.
> The Vista client all had auto configure 169.254 addresses. * I tried some
> things, googled and got some registry hacks we tried for the tcp system
> parameters but no luck. *I took my Helium Spetrum Analyzer running XP and it
> got an address so I know the switch is configured correctly.
>
> For the work around I made the int vlan ip address 169.254.0.1/16 updated
> the switch settings and the lan party is going down.
>
> I found some vague references to this problem on my google searches, but
> nothing solid.
>
> Is there something that needs to be done on the clients to pull an ip
> address from the dhcp pool on the switch? *They pulled an ip address from
> their helper address to the QIP DHCP server? *XP machines work with no
> problems.
>
> Thanks,


This reminds me of something I saw.

I have 877 router as DHCP server and Vista, not sure
about SP level when this was happening but now SP1.

I have extensive experience of Cisco DHCP on XP
and it just works.

With vista DHCP was OK on Ethernet but not on Wireless.
Wireless DHCP worked with other (cheap non cisco)
WiFi routers.

I found that changing a registry setting, (something
about DHCP broadcast reply? if I recall correctly) swapped
the behaviour round. i.e. worked on cisco 877 but did
not work on other routers.

Upgrade router to 12.4(15)T7 from something already
not too old fixed it.

So I think that there is something going on
here but don't know what it is. I do not have
a wireless sniffer so never figured it out.

Maybe if you upgrade your 3750 to the latest sw it will
magically work

I found this today:-
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solu...vistacisco.pdf
Deploying Microsoft Windows Server
2008 and Vista on a Cisco Network

It mentions that if IP V6 is enabled - and on vista
it is enabled by default - vista does not
get round to doing IP V4 DHCP for 128 seconds!!!
after link up. I don't think I see that but maybe
it has been changed by Microsoft since the Document
was written.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
news.verizon.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-17-2009
It might be this technet article I found concerning the broadcast flags. I
hastily tried these registry edits, but no luck. I might try more tomorrow.
It seems that others have described this exactly as I have, yet there is
only vague references on how to fix this.

I found this to be only happening from a vista client with sp1 getting a
lease from a 3750. My work laptop does will not get a dhcp address from
this switch but will from our QIP DHCP server and from my broadband router.

I am going to contact MS DHCP team tomorrow. I will post any conclusive
responses. It seems to be a common problem but no clear cut instructions on
how to fix it.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/928233





Use of BROADCAST (B) flag in dhcp...


DHCP server or relay agent sending or relaying a DHCP message directly to a
DHCP client should examine the BROADCAST bit in the 'flags' field. If this
bit is set to 1, the DHCP message SHOULD be sent as an IP broadcast using an
IP broadcast address as the IP destination address and the link-layer
broadcast address as the link-layer destination address. If the BROADCAST
bit is cleared to 0, the message SHOULD be sent as an IP unicast to the IP
address specified in the 'yiaddr' field and the link-layer address specified
in the 'chaddr' field.



By default, Windows Vista will start with BROADCAST(B) flag set to 1 which
means DHCP Server or relay agent has to send reply to broadcast address.
User can change this setting by defining REG_DWORD value
DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{GUID}
registry key.



As a new enhancement, DHCP client in Windows Vista has incorporated
intelligence to toggle between the two values of the broadcast flag to
interop with routers that do not support the broadcast flag. Once the client
is able to acquire an IP address from the DHCP server, it retains the state
of flag throughout the lease time.



The toggle behavior will be controlled by a registry value
"DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle" under
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Param eters\Interfaces\{GUID}



In case the registry value is set to 1, the DHCP client will do the toggle
and only one DORA sequence will be done during the acquisition phase.



The DHCP client will start afresh and send the broadcast flag in the DHCP
DISCOVER packet with a value as controlled by the registry key. If it fails
to get a response from the DHCP server within the allotted 1 min and the
toggle flag is not disabled through registry, it will restart the DISCOVER
process, this time toggling the broadcast bit sent in the packet. If the
server is reachable this time, it will update the interface specific value
of the flag in its cache to 1. This will be used to determine whether or
not the flag needs to be set in every subsequent DHCP packet till the next
DORA cycle. In the next DORA cycle, the value of the broadcast bit will
again be determined by the registry value configured by the admin (or 0 by
default).



Update (November 05, 200

If you run into issues with your Vista installation being unable to get an
IP Address via DHCP, please send us the following information for further
investigation:

Router Vendor, Router/Gateway Model Number, Firmware Version, Your
Location (Country & State), ISP. You may send this information via
email to msnetworkteam_AT_live_DOT_com.

Thanks,

Ajay

Team Networking

Published Wednesday, November 08, 2006 8:56 PM by teamdhcp

Filed under: broadcast bit, vista





"bod43" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On 17 Feb, 00:56, "news.verizon.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Last year, I configured a dhcp pool on a 3750 switch for a lan party at
> work(I work for a university and part of the students activities). No
> problems all worked fine with Vista.
>
> It was time for the lan party again at work. I put the dhcp pool back on
> the switch but the Vista clients would not pull an ip address, but when I
> did a sh ip dhcp binds it showed their macs were bound to the ip
> addresses.
> The Vista client all had auto configure 169.254 addresses. I tried some
> things, googled and got some registry hacks we tried for the tcp system
> parameters but no luck. I took my Helium Spetrum Analyzer running XP and
> it
> got an address so I know the switch is configured correctly.
>
> For the work around I made the int vlan ip address 169.254.0.1/16 updated
> the switch settings and the lan party is going down.
>
> I found some vague references to this problem on my google searches, but
> nothing solid.
>
> Is there something that needs to be done on the clients to pull an ip
> address from the dhcp pool on the switch? They pulled an ip address from
> their helper address to the QIP DHCP server? XP machines work with no
> problems.
>
> Thanks,


This reminds me of something I saw.

I have 877 router as DHCP server and Vista, not sure
about SP level when this was happening but now SP1.

I have extensive experience of Cisco DHCP on XP
and it just works.

With vista DHCP was OK on Ethernet but not on Wireless.
Wireless DHCP worked with other (cheap non cisco)
WiFi routers.

I found that changing a registry setting, (something
about DHCP broadcast reply? if I recall correctly) swapped
the behaviour round. i.e. worked on cisco 877 but did
not work on other routers.

Upgrade router to 12.4(15)T7 from something already
not too old fixed it.

So I think that there is something going on
here but don't know what it is. I do not have
a wireless sniffer so never figured it out.

Maybe if you upgrade your 3750 to the latest sw it will
magically work

I found this today:-
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solu...vistacisco.pdf
Deploying Microsoft Windows Server
2008 and Vista on a Cisco Network

It mentions that if IP V6 is enabled - and on vista
it is enabled by default - vista does not
get round to doing IP V4 DHCP for 128 seconds!!!
after link up. I don't think I see that but maybe
it has been changed by Microsoft since the Document
was written.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Igor Mamuzic aka Pseto
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-17-2009

"news.verizon.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Qgpml.782$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I found this to be only happening from a vista client with sp1 getting a
> lease from a 3750. My work laptop does will not get a dhcp address from
> this switch but will from our QIP DHCP server and from my broadband
> router.
>
>

I solved the same problem on two Vista laptops with this command (must be
executed from cmd prompt in elevated mode):
netsh winsock reset catalog

You have to restart your Windows after this. Make sure that your registry
settings regarding dhcp are defaults, so don't turn on broadcast flag bit,
etc. Only in the case that above command doesn't works for you proceed with
registry modification according to MS KB article.
My Vista has been working ok with all dhcp servers with no problem, but
after installing drivers for USB 3G mobile internet stick I lost the ability
to obtain IP address from my home wirelles router and also from Microsoft
DHCP server in my company if my client is behind DHCP relay (Cisco 3750 with
ip helper command), but I could obtain IP address if I where in the same
broadcast domain as MS DHCP server. After reseting some stuff with above
command I've restored my ability to obtain IP from my wirelles home routet
and also from my company server even if I'm behind DHCP relay.

Regards,
Igor


 
Reply With Quote
 
an63
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-17-2009
I will try this today.

Thanks



"Igor Mamuzic aka Pseto" <(E-Mail Removed)-com.hr> wrote in
message news:gne3ut$q68$(E-Mail Removed)-com.hr...
>
> "news.verizon.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Qgpml.782$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I found this to be only happening from a vista client with sp1 getting a
>> lease from a 3750. My work laptop does will not get a dhcp address from
>> this switch but will from our QIP DHCP server and from my broadband
>> router.
>>
>>

> I solved the same problem on two Vista laptops with this command (must be
> executed from cmd prompt in elevated mode):
> netsh winsock reset catalog
>
> You have to restart your Windows after this. Make sure that your registry
> settings regarding dhcp are defaults, so don't turn on broadcast flag bit,
> etc. Only in the case that above command doesn't works for you proceed
> with registry modification according to MS KB article.
> My Vista has been working ok with all dhcp servers with no problem, but
> after installing drivers for USB 3G mobile internet stick I lost the
> ability to obtain IP address from my home wirelles router and also from
> Microsoft DHCP server in my company if my client is behind DHCP relay
> (Cisco 3750 with ip helper command), but I could obtain IP address if I
> where in the same broadcast domain as MS DHCP server. After reseting some
> stuff with above command I've restored my ability to obtain IP from my
> wirelles home routet and also from my company server even if I'm behind
> DHCP relay.
>
> Regards,
> Igor
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
an63
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-17-2009
Tried everything nothing works and won't get a dhcp address from the 3750
dhcp pool.


"an63" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:s5xml.1065$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I will try this today.
>
> Thanks
>
>
>
> "Igor Mamuzic aka Pseto" <(E-Mail Removed)-com.hr> wrote in
> message news:gne3ut$q68$(E-Mail Removed)-com.hr...
>>
>> "news.verizon.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:Qgpml.782$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I found this to be only happening from a vista client with sp1 getting a
>>> lease from a 3750. My work laptop does will not get a dhcp address from
>>> this switch but will from our QIP DHCP server and from my broadband
>>> router.
>>>
>>>

>> I solved the same problem on two Vista laptops with this command (must be
>> executed from cmd prompt in elevated mode):
>> netsh winsock reset catalog
>>
>> You have to restart your Windows after this. Make sure that your registry
>> settings regarding dhcp are defaults, so don't turn on broadcast flag
>> bit, etc. Only in the case that above command doesn't works for you
>> proceed with registry modification according to MS KB article.
>> My Vista has been working ok with all dhcp servers with no problem, but
>> after installing drivers for USB 3G mobile internet stick I lost the
>> ability to obtain IP address from my home wirelles router and also from
>> Microsoft DHCP server in my company if my client is behind DHCP relay
>> (Cisco 3750 with ip helper command), but I could obtain IP address if I
>> where in the same broadcast domain as MS DHCP server. After reseting some
>> stuff with above command I've restored my ability to obtain IP from my
>> wirelles home routet and also from my company server even if I'm behind
>> DHCP relay.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Igor
>>
>>

>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Sam Wilson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-18-2009
In article <qHBml.1098$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"an63" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Tried everything nothing works and won't get a dhcp address from the 3750
> dhcp pool.


Have you tried any debug commands for DHCP on the 3750? We don't use
our Ciscos for DHCP so I'm not familiar with what there is. There
shouldn't be that much traffic so it shouldn't break your terminal
session.

Sam
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
when is Vista sp1 coming out? Recommend Vista Premium? lbbss Computer Support 1 02-14-2008 03:39 AM
Re: Where to get stand alone Dot Net Framework version 1.1, version 2.0, version 3.0, version 3.5, version 2.0 SP1, version 3.0 SP1 ? V Green ASP .Net 0 02-05-2008 02:45 AM
Adding new 3750 in existing 3750 stacking jayesh Cisco 0 03-14-2007 10:49 AM
Dhcp Relay Agent And Acl On Sw 3750, DHCP Relay Agent and ACL on Sw 3750 Vimokh Cisco 3 09-06-2006 02:16 AM
3750 G 24TS vs. 3750 G 12S Alireza Dabagh [MS] Cisco 4 09-29-2004 12:44 AM



Advertisments