Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Vonage in the UK...

Vonage in the UK...

Gordon Henderson

Anyone know if you can use Vonage in the UK with something other than
the supplied ATA they give you?

ie. do you give you the username/password, etc. details, or is it all
locked-in..

Thanks,

Gordon

alexd

Gordon Henderson wrote:

> Anyone know if you can use Vonage in the UK with something other than
> the supplied ATA they give you?

IIRC you need a 'softphone account' or 'business plus' to use it with
anything other than their ATA.

19:58:54 up 73 days, 22:10, 2 users, load average: 0.06, 0.07, 0.06
Sexy ladies, and nasty boys, all freaky freakin', to the robot noise

Gordon Henderson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, alexd <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Gordon Henderson wrote:
>
>> Anyone know if you can use Vonage in the UK with something other than
>> the supplied ATA they give you?

>IIRC you need a 'softphone account' or 'business plus' to use it with
>anything other than their ATA.

Thanks. I found some stuff on their US website, wasn't sure if it applied
to their UK service.

It's bonkers - why would they use SIP then lock you into their own kit.
(although from a support point of view, I can see why)

Gordon

Ivor Jones

In news:gnco6e$i2u$(E-Mail Removed),
Gordon Henderson <(E-Mail Removed)> typed, for some strange,
unexplained reason:
: In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, alexd
: <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: >
:
: Thanks. I found some stuff on their US website, wasn't sure if it
: applied
: to their UK service.
:
: It's bonkers - why would they use SIP then lock you into their own
: kit. (although from a support point of view, I can see why)

Just one of the reasons why Vonage doesn't have the best of reputations in
this group.

Ivor

alexd

Gordon Henderson wrote:

> Thanks. I found some stuff on their US website, wasn't sure if it applied
> to their UK service.

http://www.vonage.co.uk/free-feature...ture=softphone

It shows Xlite; not sure if it works with anything else, perhaps they've got
their own hobbled version of Xlite? In any case, it's more expensive than
Sipgate, so there's not really any point.

> It's bonkers - why would they use SIP then lock you into their own kit.

Because it's supposedly unlimited, so they don't want people setting up,
say, Asterisk gateways and taking the **** by selling their minutes on at a
profit. People already do this with great big rack-mounted Premicell-type
things so I wouldn't be surprised if it was already going on.

19:43:12 up 74 days, 21:55, 2 users, load average: 0.10, 0.07, 0.07
Sexy ladies, and nasty boys, all freaky freakin', to the robot noise

Gordon Henderson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, alexd <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Gordon Henderson wrote:
>
>> Thanks. I found some stuff on their US website, wasn't sure if it applied
>> to their UK service.

>http://www.vonage.co.uk/free-feature...ture=softphone
>
>It shows Xlite; not sure if it works with anything else, perhaps they've got
>their own hobbled version of Xlite? In any case, it's more expensive than
>Sipgate, so there's not really any point.

Cost isn't the issue, it's flexability.

My client already has a Vonage service, liked VoIP, so bought one of
my PBXs + VoIP trunk from me and now they want to use their shiny new
handsets to take calls from their Vonage system, so short of connecting
the Vonage ATA to an analogue input card in the PBX I don't know what
to do...

Gordon

Ivor Jones

In news:gngqk0$1cqe$(E-Mail Removed),
Gordon Henderson <(E-Mail Removed)> typed, for some strange,
unexplained reason:

[snip]

: Cost isn't the issue, it's flexability.
:
: My client already has a Vonage service, liked VoIP, so bought one of
: my PBXs + VoIP trunk from me and now they want to use their shiny new
: handsets to take calls from their Vonage system, so short of
: connecting the Vonage ATA to an analogue input card in the PBX I don't
know what
: to do...

Is that such a problem..? Works for me.

Ivor

Steve

"Gordon Henderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gnco6e$i2u$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, alexd <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>>Gordon Henderson wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone know if you can use Vonage in the UK with something other than
>>> the supplied ATA they give you?

>>IIRC you need a 'softphone account' or 'business plus' to use it with
>>anything other than their ATA.

> Thanks. I found some stuff on their US website, wasn't sure if it applied
> to their UK service.
>
> It's bonkers - why would they use SIP then lock you into their own kit.
> (although from a support point of view, I can see why)
>
> Gordon

If it's standard SIP have you tried plugging the ATA into a HUB along
with a linux box and using tcpdump/wireshark to sniff the registration
data when you power the ATA on?

As a clue it looks like the USA version uses the MAC address to
identify adapters - no personal knowledge just browsed the sites and
chose 'sign up with store bought ATA' - since that MAC does not
travel over the internet to them normally my guess it is the username.
(over there you can also have many units on one account, again
added bu use of the MAC address - you cannot do that here as
far as I can see)

Steve

alexd

Gordon Henderson wrote:

> so short of connecting the Vonage ATA to an analogue input card in the PBX
> I don't know what to do...

Yep, that's exactly what you do. Given the 6 activation + 6PCM it'll cost
to do it natively in SIP on the PBX by paying for a softphone account, the
extra analogue port will pay for itself eventually

Alternatively, Vonage do make rather a song and dance about number
portability so perhaps you could port their number out?

Or permanently divert it to a SIP trunk of your choice?

http://www.vonage.co.uk/free-feature...all_forwarding

23:12:50 up 76 days, 1:24, 2 users, load average: 0.06, 0.08, 0.08
Sexy ladies, and nasty boys, all freaky freakin', to the robot noise

Ivor Jones

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Jono <(E-Mail Removed)> typed, for some strange, unexplained
reason:
: on 18/02/2009, Ivor Jones supposed :
: >> so short of
: >> connecting the Vonage ATA to an analogue input card in the PBX I
: >> don't know what to do...
: >
: > Is that such a problem..? Works for me.
:
:
: Not ideal on an Asterisk PBX.

Oh..? Why not..?

: You have a creaking old analogue PBX. Obviously more suitable in this
: case, though

Nothing wrong with my trusty London 16

Ivor

Re: Vonage question - multiple sockets on vonage Graham. UK VOIP 1 02-11-2010 07:49 PM
Re: Vonage question - multiple sockets on vonage Gordon Henderson UK VOIP 0 02-11-2010 03:01 PM
Can't file, print share with 2 Router home network-Vonage problem =?Utf-8?B?R2FyeUc=?= Wireless Networking 1 05-24-2005 01:26 AM
Vonage Popup Scratch Firefox 2 03-26-2005 06:23 PM
Giving Vonage voice packets priority with Cisco 1720 Albert Wiersch Cisco 0 05-14-2004 07:31 PM

Advertisments