Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Creating custom formatter function

Creating custom formatter function

Garrett Cooper

Hello Python folks,
I have a function where I'd like to prefix a format string via a
`prefix' string. The definition of the base method is as follows:

#START CODE
def print_message(prefix, out_stream, fmt, *args, **kwargs):
""" Print out [prefix]: [message] """

message = fmt

if 0 < len(kwargs.keys()):
message = message % kwargs

if 0 < len(args):
message = message % args

out_stream.write(message + "\n")
#END CODE

My python 2.4.5 interpreter fails at `message % args' claiming the
following:

File "logging.py", line 10, in print_message
message = message % (args)
TypeError: not all arguments converted during string formatting

Thus I was wondering what the proper means was for formatting
strings. I'm new to this portion of Python, so I obviously didn't
apply the right syntax.
TIA!
-Garrett

Alan G Isaac

On 2/16/2009 6:50 AM Garrett Cooper apparently wrote:
> I was wondering what the proper means was for formatting
> strings.

http://docs.python.org/library/strin...ing-formatting

http://docs.python.org/library/strin...mplate-strings

http://docs.python.org/library/stdty...ing-formatting

As for the last: "values must be a tuple with exactly the number
of items specified by the format string, or a single mapping
object (for example, a dictionary)" unless you need only a
single argument in your format string.

hth,
Alan Isaac

Enterprise Library Jan 2006 - custom exception formatter fails unless running debugger David Herbst ASP .Net 1 01-29-2006 04:02 PM
Logging: Formatter: name of the function Gregor Horvath Python 2 12-23-2005 09:34 PM
Switching from XML formatter to Binary Formatter A.M-SG ASP .Net Web Services 1 11-22-2005 08:33 AM
JSP formatter Timo Nentwig Java 4 12-31-2004 06:58 AM
About ViewState and LOS formatter Edward Yang ASP .Net 1 11-22-2004 07:07 PM

Advertisments