Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless security and XP

Wireless security and XP

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Windows takes its Encryption setting from the Wireless card's drivers.
If the drivers, or the card, do not support advanced security nothing can be
done about it.
Check the support site of the card's vendors for the card's capacities and
updated drivers.
If it does not support reasonable security get a new PCMCIA card a good card
that can do WPA or WPA2 is less than $20.
Example, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833315047
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> connect by WEP?
>

>> This page covers WinXP Encryption issues.
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb457016.aspx
>> In addition WEP 64 or 128 is Not really secure any more.
>> From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
>> No Security
>> Switching Off SSID (same has No Security. SSID can be easily sniffed even
>> if it is Off)
>> MAC Filtering______(Band Aid if nothing else is available, MAC number can
>> be easily Spoofed).
>> WEP64____(Easy, to "Break" by knowledgeable people).
>> WEP128___(A little Harder, but "Hackable" too).
>> -------------------
>> The three above are Not considered safe.
>> Safe Starts here at WPA.
>> -------------------
>> WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
>> WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
>> WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
>> Note 1: WPA-AES the the current entry level rendition of WPA2.
>> Note 2: If you use WinXP bellow SP3 and did not updated it, you would
>> have to download the WPA2 patch from Microsoft.
>> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357>
>> The documentation of your Wireless devices (Wireless Router, and Wireless
>> Computer's Card) should state the type of security that is available with
>> your Wireless hardware.
>> All devices MUST be set to the same security level using the same pass
>> phrase.
>> Therefore the security must be set according what ever is the best
>> possible of one of the Wireless devices.
>> I.e. even if most of your system might be capable to be configured to the
>> max. with WPA2, but one device is only capable to be configured to max .
>> of WEP, to whole system must be configured to WEP.
>> If you need more good security and one device (like a Wireless card that
>> can do WEP only) is holding better security for the whole Network,
>> replace the device with a better one.
>> Setting Wireless Security - <http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html>
>> The Core differences between WEP, WPA, and WPA2 -
>> <http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html>
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>
>> "Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Strange problem. My wife's laptop - XP SP2 cannot connect to our WAP
>>> that has WEP 128 bit security. She can connect to other wireless
>>> networks with (possibly) 64 Bit WEP. (I don't know the setup of this
>>> other network but I'm guessing at 64 bit from the password length). Does
>>> XP not connect to 128 bit WEP?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Asking a question?
>>> Please tell us the version of the application you are asking about,
>>> your OS, Service Pack level
>>> and the FULL contents of any error message(s)

> --
> Asking a question?
> Please tell us the version of the application you are asking about,
> your OS, Service Pack level
> and the FULL contents of any error message(s)

Gordon

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> Windows takes its Encryption setting from the Wireless card's drivers.
> If the drivers, or the card, do not support advanced security nothing can
> be done about it.
> Check the support site of the card's vendors for the card's capacities and
> updated drivers.
> If it does not support reasonable security get a new PCMCIA card a good
> card that can do WPA or WPA2 is less than $20.
> Example, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833315047
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

Wish we could - it's a company laptop......

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Barb Bowman

Have you spoken to your IT folks ?

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 21:42:23 -0000, "Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Wish we could - it's a company laptop......

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

Gordon

"Barb Bowman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have you spoken to your IT folks ?

Unfortunately it's not /my/ IT dept - it's hers.....

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

John

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The WAP certainly supports it - I was using WPA encryption. I'm trying all
> the possibilities to get her to be able to connect wirelessly.
> How do I check what her wireless card supports?

Notebook brand/model number? What does Wireless NIC show in the Device
Manager?

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Barb Bowman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Have you spoken to your IT folks ?
>>

> Unfortunately it's not /my/ IT dept - it's hers.....

OK. Has *she*?
I can't see why there would be an issue plugging in a card & loading
drivers, if they've given her admin rights.

Barb Bowman

then ask "her" to speak to them.

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 10:44:14 -0000, "Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Unfortunately it's not /my/ IT dept - it's hers.....

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

Gordon

"Barb Bowman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> then ask "her" to speak to them.
>
> On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 10:44:14 -0000, "Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Unfortunately it's not /my/ IT dept - it's hers.....

They'd originally disabled wireless access on all their laptops and they
were pretty reluctant to allow wireless access AT ALL, to anything....
So I'm not hopeful...

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Well, if owning a Laptop with functional Wireless is that important there
are very good "pre-owned" units for about $200 .
Losing a Job might generate a bigger lose.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Barb Bowman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> then ask "her" to speak to them.
>>
>> On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 10:44:14 -0000, "Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Unfortunately it's not /my/ IT dept - it's hers.....

> They'd originally disabled wireless access on all their laptops and they
> were pretty reluctant to allow wireless access AT ALL, to anything....
> So I'm not hopeful...
>
> --
> Asking a question?
> Please tell us the version of the application you are asking about,
> your OS, Service Pack level
> and the FULL contents of any error message(s)

Gordon

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Strange problem. My wife's laptop - XP SP2 cannot connect to our WAP that
> has WEP 128 bit security. She can connect to other wireless networks with
> (possibly) 64 Bit WEP. (I don't know the setup of this other network but
> I'm guessing at 64 bit from the password length). Does XP not connect to
> 128 bit WEP?

Thanks to all who responded - I've just found the answer. XP will NOT do
Shared Key whereas Vista will.

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level