Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > John: fixed it.

John: fixed it.

Jonathan N. Little

rf wrote:
> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>> richard wrote:

>>> EMAIL: <input type="text" name="your_email"
>>> </form>

>> You do realize that your example is not remotely valid, right? For
>> one, the submit button is not even within the form that it is
>> supposed to submit.

> Actually the submit button *is* in the form. See the above, the </form>
> ending tag is swallowed up in an error, the previous input lacking a >, so
> the form goes to the end of the page, or somewhere

You're right, I missed that error among all the rest!

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

richard wrote:

> Now exactly what does w3schools.com have to say about this method you
> question?
> http://www.w3schools.com/TAGS/tag_form.asp

The page proves that w3schools isn't a place to be trusted.

[quote]
Example

A simple HTML form with two input fields and one submit button:

<form action="form_action.asp" method="get">
First name: <input type="text" name="fname" /><br />
Last name: <input type="text" name="lname" /><br />
<input type="submit" value="Submit" />
</form>
[close quote]

That isn't HTML. It's XHTML. Using method="get" is also ill-advised. The
site is unreliable.

--
-bts

richard

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 03:25:51 GMT, "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>> richard wrote:

>>> EMAIL: <input type="text" name="your_email"
>>> </form>

>> You do realize that your example is not remotely valid, right? For
>> one, the submit button is not even within the form that it is
>> supposed to submit.

>Actually the submit button *is* in the form. See the above, the </form>
>ending tag is swallowed up in an error, the previous input lacking a >, so
>the form goes to the end of the page, or somewhere

No **** sherlock. That was a minor typo I didn't catch.

John

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 23:22:51 -0500, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>richard wrote:
>
>> Now exactly what does w3schools.com have to say about this method you
>> question?
>> http://www.w3schools.com/TAGS/tag_form.asp

>The page proves that w3schools isn't a place to be trusted.
>
>[quote]
>Example
>
>A simple HTML form with two input fields and one submit button:
>
><form action="form_action.asp" method="get">
> First name: <input type="text" name="fname" /><br />
> Last name: <input type="text" name="lname" /><br />
> <input type="submit" value="Submit" />
></form>
>[close quote]
>
>That isn't HTML. It's XHTML. Using method="get" is also ill-advised. The
>site is unreliable.

This is cool.

Just wondering how I make the submit button centered?

rf

richard wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 02:32:51 GMT, "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> richard wrote:

>>> I did validate it,

>> So how do you explain this:
>>
>> EMAIL: <input type="text" name="your_email"
>> </form>
>>
>> Clearly invalid, and the validator complains bitterly about it.
>>
>>> jerk.

>> That may be so but I don't lie.
>>

> For one, the validator says the code validates.
> Now if you'll kindly note, it issued a "WARNING".
>
> Now exactly what does w3schools.com have to say about this method you
> question?
> http://www.w3schools.com/TAGS/tag_form.asp
>
> Oh my. Looks like you just your ass kicked.

I got my arse kicked by w3schools? Har bloody har.

rf

richard wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 03:25:51 GMT, "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Jonathan N. Little wrote:

>>> You do realize that your example is not remotely valid, right? For
>>> one, the submit button is not even within the form that it is
>>> supposed to submit.

>> Actually the submit button *is* in the form. See the above, the
>> </form> ending tag is swallowed up in an error, the previous input
>> lacking a >, so the form goes to the end of the page, or somewhere
>>

> No **** sherlock. That was a minor typo I didn't catch.

So how did the validitor not pick it up when you "validated" the code you
posted? Or did you validate it and then type it again, in which case you did
*not* validate the code you posted, you validated something else. Or (more
likely) you validated it after we all told you how invalid it was.

And even if that error were not there, you still have the gross error of
having a submit button outside the form it is supposed to be submitting, or
is that a minor typo you didn't catch either?

Here is a copy/paste (not a retype) of the code you posted, with your minor
typo fixed.

http://barefile.com.au/test/richard.html

What happens when you click that submit button. For me absolutely bloody
nothing happens because that submit button is not inside a form. No form, no
submit. Get the idea?

Jerk

rf

richard wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 02:32:51 GMT, "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> richard wrote:

>>> I did validate it,

>> So how do you explain this:
>>
>> EMAIL: <input type="text" name="your_email"
>> </form>
>>
>> Clearly invalid, and the validator complains bitterly about it.
>>
>>> jerk.

>> That may be so but I don't lie.
>>

> For one, the validator says the code validates.
> Now if you'll kindly note, it issued a "WARNING".
>
> Now exactly what does w3schools.com have to say about this method you
> question?
> http://www.w3schools.com/TAGS/tag_form.asp
>
> Oh my. Looks like you just your ass kicked.
>

> Validation Output: 1 Warning
>
> Below is a list of the warning message(s) produced when checking your
> document.
>
> 1. Warning Line 21, Column 0: unclosed start-tag requires SHORTTAG
> YES.
>
> </form>
>
> The construct <foo<bar> is valid in HTML (it is an example of
> the rather obscure "Shorttags" feature) but its use is not
> recommended. In most cases, this is a typo that you will want to fix.
> If you really want to use shorttags, be aware that they are not well
> implemented by browsers.

Ah, I see. It's OK to shoot yourself in the foot then.

They must have some very valid reason for recommending that this is not
used, like for example that it is not well implemeneted by browsers?

BTW The validator does not issue any warning at all if you serve up a submit
button that is not inside a form. Perfectly valid. Does nothing however. I
guess that's like shooting yourself in the foot with a blank

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

John wrote:

> Just wondering how I make the submit button centered?

<form action="action-script.php" method="post">
<!-- other fields here -->
<label for "submit">
<input type="submit" value=" Submit " id="submit1">
</label>

...though I would place the styling in the CSS file.

This is basic stuff.

--
-bts

Jonathan N. Little

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> richard wrote:
>
>> Now exactly what does w3schools.com have to say about this method you
>> question?
>> http://www.w3schools.com/TAGS/tag_form.asp

> The page proves that w3schools isn't a place to be trusted.
>
> [quote]
> Example
>
> A simple HTML form with two input fields and one submit button:
>
> <form action="form_action.asp" method="get">
> First name: <input type="text" name="fname" /><br />
> Last name: <input type="text" name="lname" /><br />
> <input type="submit" value="Submit" />
> </form>
> [close quote]
>
> That isn't HTML. It's XHTML. Using method="get" is also ill-advised. The
> site is unreliable.

Well the first thing I notice is that the form controls are supposed to
be within a block element.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 08:25:54 GMT, "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>richard wrote:

>>> Actually the submit button *is* in the form. See the above, the
>>> </form> ending tag is swallowed up in an error, the previous input
>>> lacking a >, so the form goes to the end of the page, or somewhere
>>>

>> No **** sherlock. That was a minor typo I didn't catch.

>So how did the validitor not pick it up when you "validated" the code you
>posted? Or did you validate it and then type it again, in which case you did
>*not* validate the code you posted, you validated something else. Or (more
>likely) you validated it after we all told you how invalid it was.
>
>And even if that error were not there, you still have the gross error of
>having a submit button outside the form it is supposed to be submitting, or
>is that a minor typo you didn't catch either?
>
>Here is a copy/paste (not a retype) of the code you posted, with your minor
>typo fixed.
>
>http://barefile.com.au/test/richard.html
>
>What happens when you click that submit button. For me absolutely bloody
>nothing happens because that submit button is not inside a form. No form, no
>submit. Get the idea?
>
>Jerk

The warning issued was in reference to that unclosed tag. Once the tag
was properly closed, no warnings and 100% valdiation.