Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > FF Crashes on Links within Links

FF Crashes on Links within Links

Puma

I have been having some problems with links within other sites making FF
crash.

When I click on a link within many sites, FF crashes and I get the crash-
report box to send FF the info so they can try to see what caused the
crash.Then I have to restart.

I tried FF in safe mode. Didn't fix the problem.

Tried a new profile and a "plain" (no add-ons) FF installation. Crash.

Tried disabling all add-ons. Crash.

Tried shutting down all programs, re-installing (3.0.6) and running FF with
all programs still shut down (I don't like to do that because no firewall
or virus protection). Crash.

Anyone have any ideas what I might try? Any help and info appreciated. I
can't view past bank statements at my banking site or other, various links
in other sites.

Using XP SP3.

Help?

Robert

Rom

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 15:08:06 GMT, Puma wrote:

> I have been having some problems with links within other sites making FF
> crash.
>
> When I click on a link within many sites, FF crashes and I get the crash-
> report box to send FF the info so they can try to see what caused the
> crash.Then I have to restart.
>
> I tried FF in safe mode. Didn't fix the problem.
>
> Tried a new profile and a "plain" (no add-ons) FF installation. Crash.
>
> Tried disabling all add-ons. Crash.

Including disabling plugins (Tools > Add-ons > Plugins)?

Also update plugins, or uninstall before installing (updated) plugins.

> Tried shutting down all programs, re-installing (3.0.6) and running FF with
> all programs still shut down (I don't like to do that because no firewall
> or virus protection). Crash.

Third-party personal firewalls may require uninstalling, and the
Windows Firewall could be used.

If reinstalling Fx, do so with a new download (latest version) of Fx.

See:
<http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Firefox+crashes+when+loading+certain+pages>
which also covers "Crashes when clicking on certain links"

--
Rom

Puma

Rom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:ni32jhge9cgi$(E-Mail Removed):

> On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 15:08:06 GMT, Puma wrote:
>
>> I have been having some problems with links within

other sites making
>> FF crash.
>>
>> When I click on a link within many sites, FF crashes

and I get the
>> crash- report box to send FF the info so they can try

to see what
>> caused the crash.Then I have to restart.
>>
>> I tried FF in safe mode. Didn't fix the problem.
>>
>> Tried a new profile and a "plain" (no add-ons) FF

installation.
>> Crash.
>>
>> Tried disabling all add-ons. Crash.

> Including disabling plugins (Tools > Add-ons >

Plugins)?

No. Didn't even think about that and didn't realize I had
so many! Doing that now.

> Also update plugins, or uninstall before installing

(updated) plugins.

Will do that next.

>> Tried shutting down all programs, re-installing

(3.0.6) and running
>> FF with all programs still shut down (I don't like to

do that because
>> no firewall or virus protection). Crash.

> Third-party personal firewalls may require

uninstalling, and the
> Windows Firewall could be used.

I've used Zone Alarm forever and had 3.0.6 installed for
a while before the problem started. That's why I was
leaning towards add-ons being involved.

> If reinstalling Fx, do so with a new download (latest

version) of Fx.

I *did* do that.

> See:
> <http://support.mozilla.com/en-

US/kb/Firefox+crashes+when+loading+certa
> in+pages> which also covers "Crashes when clicking on

certain links"

And I *will* be reading that URL.

Thanks for the advice and your time.

Robert

Puma

Rom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:ni32jhge9cgi$(E-Mail Removed):

> See:
> <http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/...+loading+certa
> in+pages> which also covers "Crashes when clicking on certain links"

From that site:

1. At the top of the Firefox windowOn the menu bar, click the Tools
menu and select Add-ons. The Add-ons window will open.
2. In the Add-ons window, select the Extensions panel if it is not
already selected. The set of installed extensions is displayed.
3. Select Download Embedded to display the "OptionsPreferences",
"Disable", and "Uninstall" buttons for that extension.
4. Click the Disable button.
5. Download Embedded will be disabled when you restart Firefox.

????????????

Tools> add-ons gets me to the extensions menu but there is no "Download
Embedded" choice nor any way to get to "OptionsPreferences" anywhere.

With all the plug-ins but 2 disabled (pages wouldn't load at all with all
plug-ins disabled) my links within the sites worked.

What am I missing? And how does one update 'plug-ins'? I see nothing but
Enable or Disable plug-ins.

Thanks again for the help.

Robert

Rom

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 15:41:05 GMT, Puma wrote:

> Rom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:ni32jhge9cgi$(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>> See:
>> <http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/...+loading+certa
>> in+pages> which also covers "Crashes when clicking on certain links"

> From that site:
>
> 1. At the top of the Firefox windowOn the menu bar, click the Tools
> menu and select Add-ons. The Add-ons window will open.
> 2. In the Add-ons window, select the Extensions panel if it is not
> already selected. The set of installed extensions is displayed.
> 3. Select Download Embedded to display the "OptionsPreferences",
> "Disable", and "Uninstall" buttons for that extension.
> 4. Click the Disable button.
> 5. Download Embedded will be disabled when you restart Firefox.
>
> ????????????
>
> Tools> add-ons gets me to the extensions menu but there is no "Download
> Embedded" choice nor any way to get to "OptionsPreferences" anywhere.

The Firefox Support site (for a while now) requires JavaScript enabled
(Tools > Options > Content) to work properly and to display content
specific to the platform and version you're using. Reload the page
after enabling JavaScript if it's not already enabled, then read/look
at the page again.

> With all the plug-ins but 2 disabled (pages wouldn't load at all with all
> plug-ins disabled) my links within the sites worked.
>
> What am I missing? And how does one update 'plug-ins'?

You have plugin(s) causing the problem and updating them may fix it.
Do you need/use all the plugins? If not, those can be uninstalled in
Add/Remove of Windows Control Panel, others may have settings to
disable in other software, and others might have an option when
installing but the plugin file itself might be simply removed by
deleting it from the plugins folder in the Firefox install directory.
I'd suggest to uninstall old versions before installing new versions
because you have this problem.

To see if you're using the latest versions of Flash and Java, as well
as for quick testing of the new versions after installing:
Flash: <http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/about/>
Java: <http://www.javatester.org/version.html>
<http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml>

Downloads of latest versions:
Flash: <http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer>
Uninstaller: <http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_14157>
Java: <http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp> or
<http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp>

To update plugins like Flash and Java, I download the offline
installers for the new versions, and also download the Flash
uninstaller. With Fx closed, use the Flash uninstaller, and uninstall
Java in Add/Remove. If your Java version is not a recent one then
manually delete old Java folders in Program Files. Install the new
Flash and Java versions, then test.

WMP for XPSP2/3 and Vista likely doesn't need updating but is here:
http://port25.technet.com/pages/wind...-download.aspx

QuickTime/Real Alternative and QT Lite: <http://www.codecguide.com/>

Some other popular plugins:
<http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Popular+plugins>

Some other plugin tests:
<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Testing_plugins>

--
Rom

Puma

Rom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> You have plugin(s) causing the problem and updating them may fix it.
> Do you need/use all the plugins?

Probably not. I didn't even realize so many were installed. I went to the
FF file in 'Programs' and deleted a few I didn't think I really needed.
Left the flash one(s), the 'Zonealarm' and another 2-3 that seemed useable.

> To see if you're using the latest versions of Flash and Java, as well
> as for quick testing of the new versions after installing:
> Flash: <http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/about/>
> Java: <http://www.javatester.org/version.html>
> <http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml>

All are current versions.

Now, some of my bookmarks won't work at all. I've gone back and enabled all
the plug-ins and they still don't work.

I give up. I may be having other problems so will wait a while and try
again.

Thanks for the help and tips.

Puma

Rom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 22:49:57 GMT, Puma wrote:

> Rom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>> You have plugin(s) causing the problem and updating them may fix it.
>> Do you need/use all the plugins?

> Probably not. I didn't even realize so many were installed. I went to the
> FF file in 'Programs' and deleted a few I didn't think I really needed.
> Left the flash one(s), the 'Zonealarm' and another 2-3 that seemed useable.
>
>> To see if you're using the latest versions of Flash and Java,

> All are current versions.
>
> Now, some of my bookmarks won't work at all. I've gone back and enabled all
> the plug-ins and they still don't work.

If you mean the bookmarked sites won't load now, it sounds like
deleted plugin(s) are needed, so perhaps restore the deleted plugin
file(s) from the Recycle Bin if you haven't, or reinstall plugin(s).

> I give up. I may be having other problems so will wait a while and try
> again.

Okay. See if you can recall anything (OS updates, Fx add-ons, other
software) that's been updated/changed around the time the problem
started.

This might be of further help to you:
In the address bar enter about:config, then after agreeing to the
'avoid warranty' enter plugin.expose_full_path in the Filter box.
Change the pref default value from false to true by double clicking.
Next, in the address bar enter aboutlugins, and you'll see all the
plugins currently installed and detected with paths to the plugins.
<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Aboutlugins>

Can you post any URLs to publically accessible pages (not your Bank)
where you're having problems clicking links and crashes or bookmarked
sites now won't load? Posting a list of your plugins might help too.

--
Rom

Puma

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:gnd0e0$6tg$(E-Mail Removed)-news-network.org:

> Puma wrote:
>> Rom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>>
>>> You have plugin(s) causing the problem and updating them may fix it.
>>> Do you need/use all the plugins?

>> Probably not. I didn't even realize so many were installed. I went to
>> the FF file in 'Programs' and deleted a few I didn't think I really
>> needed. Left the flash one(s), the 'Zonealarm' and another 2-3 that
>> seemed useable.

> don't delete/remove willy-nilly. You may need them
> whether you think so or not.

I think I may have earned that lesson the hard way! The ones I
deleted were plug-ins for search engines (Yahoo, answer, etc.) that I
don't ever use and that's why I thought I'd be all right.

>> Now, some of my bookmarks won't work at all. I've gone back and
>> enabled all the plug-ins and they still don't work.
>>

> close FF, then click on the windows start button, then
> run and enter:
>
> firefox.exe -p
>
> this will start the FF profile manager. Create a test
> profile. Do bookmarks work ok in this profile?

New profile worked OK. Original, main profile is working better today. I
still think it is a plug-in problem that is causing my original problem
(links within links not always working and causing FF to crash).

But...I think there are other things in play complicating the situation.
I believe some of this is not FF related and is either my computer or my
DSL connection.

Thanks for your input and help. I appreciate all of it.

Puma

Rom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:1bjlvlweyqkl5.1pbqos5tdtu26$(E-Mail Removed):

> On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 22:49:57 GMT, Puma wrote:
>
>> Rom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>>
>>> You have plugin(s) causing the problem and updating them may fix it.
>>> Do you need/use all the plugins?

>> Probably not. I didn't even realize so many were installed. I went to
>> the FF file in 'Programs' and deleted a few I didn't think I really
>> needed. Left the flash one(s), the 'Zonealarm' and another 2-3 that
>> seemed useable.
>>
>>> To see if you're using the latest versions of Flash and Java,

>> All are current versions.
>>
>> Now, some of my bookmarks won't work at all. I've gone back and
>> enabled all the plug-ins and they still don't work.

> If you mean the bookmarked sites won't load now, it sounds like
> deleted plugin(s) are needed, so perhaps restore the deleted plugin
> file(s) from the Recycle Bin if you haven't, or reinstall plugin(s).

I enabled all the plug-ins after the troubles yesterday. The only ones I
deleted were for yahoo, answer, etc. search sites which I never ever use.

>> I give up. I may be having other problems so will wait a while and
>> try again.

> Okay. See if you can recall anything (OS updates, Fx add-ons, other
> software) that's been updated/changed around the time the problem
> started.

Nope, this time I hadn't really done anything so that's why I suspect
there are other factors at work either with my computer or DSL
connection.

> This might be of further help to you:
> In the address bar enter about:config, then after agreeing to the
> 'avoid warranty' enter plugin.expose_full_path in the Filter box.
> Change the pref default value from false to true by double clicking.
> Next, in the address bar enter aboutlugins, and you'll see all the
> plugins currently installed and detected with paths to the plugins.
> <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Aboutlugins>

OK, did this. All plug-ins are now back to being enabled. My link within
a link problem causing crashes is back... And thanks for the info.

> Can you post any URLs to publically accessible pages (not your Bank)
> where you're having problems clicking links and crashes or bookmarked
> sites now won't load? Posting a list of your plugins might help too.

No, both are bank/financial sites. I may go back and disable different
plug-ins instead of all at once (I know, shouldn't have done that
initially and try that.

Thanks so much for your time and all the help. I appreciate it.