Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > passing reference to pointer

passing reference to pointer

Barry Schwarz

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 00:06:38 -0800 (PST), softdeveloper007
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

snip

>save the religious crap for yourself ok? did i say my question was "C+
>+ question"? grow up! drink two or three gallons of milk, if that
>helps at all.

Actually you did. Your subject contains a C++ specific term. Your
code contained C++ specific syntax. And after being advised of this,
you choose to continue the discussion in a group that discusses a
completely different language because ...

--
Remove del for email

Richard

Barry Schwarz <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 00:06:38 -0800 (PST), softdeveloper007
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> snip
>
>>save the religious crap for yourself ok? did i say my question was "C+
>>+ question"? grow up! drink two or three gallons of milk, if that
>>helps at all.

> Actually you did. Your subject contains a C++ specific term. Your
> code contained C++ specific syntax. And after being advised of this,
> you choose to continue the discussion in a group that discusses a
> completely different language because ...

Except C++ is not a completely different language and the great majority
of real world C would probably compile with a C++ compiler with minor
changes. And knowing what these are and what experiences the C
programmers here have with that is clearly a real world issue and most
certainly on topic.

Old Wolf

> Your best course of action, at this point, is to spend six months
> reading every article in the newsgroups to which you have
> subscribed (without posting any further articles). Why? Because
> newsgroups - like any other communities - have a culture, and each
> newsgroup's culture is slightly different, and it's good manners to
> take notice of a community's culture when seeking to become a part
> of that community. After six months or so of diligent reading of
> every article posted in that group, you'll be sufficiently aware of
> the community's customs that you can begin to post without fear of
> ignorantly offending people. You will also have begun the process
> of separating the truth-tellers from the liars, the trolls from the
> non-trolls, and the knowledgeable from the ignorant, a useful
> exercise in itself.

Is this one of those forged troll posts?

Richard

Old Wolf <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>> Your best course of action, at this point, is to spend six months
>> reading every article in the newsgroups to which you have
>> subscribed (without posting any further articles). Why? Because
>> newsgroups - like any other communities - have a culture, and each
>> newsgroup's culture is slightly different, and it's good manners to
>> take notice of a community's culture when seeking to become a part
>> of that community. After six months or so of diligent reading of
>> every article posted in that group, you'll be sufficiently aware of
>> the community's customs that you can begin to post without fear of
>> ignorantly offending people. You will also have begun the process
>> of separating the truth-tellers from the liars, the trolls from the
>> non-trolls, and the knowledgeable from the ignorant, a useful
>> exercise in itself.

> Is this one of those forged troll posts?

I tend not to think so since it brings attention to the big "I" at the
end.

nick_keighley_nospam@hotmail.com

On 17 Feb, 04:49, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Barry Schwarz <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 00:06:38 -0800 (PST), softdeveloper007
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >>save the religious <expletive> for yourself ok? did i say my question
> >>was "C++ question"?

<snip rant>

> > Actually you did. *Your subject contains a C++ specific term. *Your
> > code contained C++ specific syntax. *And after being advised of this,
> > you choose to continue the discussion in a group that discusses a
> > completely different language because ...

exactly. Making a mistake is ok, we all do that. But continuing
to repeat the mistake after you have been informed of it is just dumb.

> Except C++ is not a completely different language and the great majority
> of real world C would probably compile with a C++ compiler with minor
> changes.

but not if it includes a C++ reference

> And knowing what these are and what experiences the C
> programmers here have with that is clearly a real world issue and most
> certainly on topic.

....to comp.lang.c++

are we supposed to discuss java or perl because they share some
syntax with C?

Kenny McCormack

In article <gndfla$20v$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Except C++ is not a completely different language

Oh, oh. The regs will get you for that. Do we really want another
iteration of:

"C++ is pretty much similar to C"

"No, it's not"

"Is too, is too"

"Is not, is not"

"Is too, is too"

"Is not, is not"

"Is too, is too"

"Is not, is not"

etc.

>and the great majority of real world C would probably compile with a
>C++ compiler with minor changes.

See above.

>And knowing what these are and what experiences the C
>programmers here have with that is clearly a real world issue and most
>certainly on topic.

No, no, no. The real world is clearly off-topic.
This has been made clear (as well as stated explicitly) thousands of
times over the years.

Richard

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Kenny McCormack) writes:

> In article <gndfla$20v$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Except C++ is not a completely different language

> Oh, oh. The regs will get you for that. Do we really want another
> iteration of:
>
> "C++ is pretty much similar to C"
>
> "No, it's not"
>
> "Is too, is too"
>
> "Is not, is not"
>
> "Is too, is too"
>
> "Is not, is not"
>
> "Is too, is too"
>
> "Is not, is not"
>
> etc.
>
>>and the great majority of real world C would probably compile with a
>>C++ compiler with minor changes.

> See above.
>
>>And knowing what these are and what experiences the C
>>programmers here have with that is clearly a real world issue and most
>>certainly on topic.

> No, no, no. The real world is clearly off-topic.
> This has been made clear (as well as stated explicitly) thousands of
> times over the years.

This group is about C. And as a C programmer I like to stay informed as
to what issues C might have if compiled with a more modern C++
compiler. I am surprised other C programmers here do not feel the same -
especially if staying standard compliant helps in that desire.

I, for one, welcome our new dominant Alpha "C" Male overlords here in
c.l.c. And its good to see a few of the weasels hopping off the sinking
ship now that they have, at last, seen reason.