Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > passing reference to pointer

passing reference to pointer

softdeveloper007

On Feb 16, 12:13 am, Richard Heathfield <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> softdeveloper007 said:
>
> <snip>
>
> > opinion is like asshole,

> You get to choose what you write, but I get to choose what I read
> and whom I take seriously. So far, you're not doing very well.
> Obviously you aren't required to be worried about that. (Equally,
> I'm not required to be worried about your C questions.)

> Email: -http://www. +rjh@

now tell us if you have figured out the logic behind the "a-hole"
analogy, mister smarty pants?

softdeveloper007

On Feb 16, 1:11 am, Han from China <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> softdeveloper007 wrote:
> > opinion is like asshole, everyone has one. but apparently your one
> > exception.

> Don't take his bait. The first half of his post is sensible advice,
> but then he starts attacking you indirectly ("ignorant") and trying to
> pick more fights on this newsgroup by attacking others. If you do pay
> attention to this newsgroup, you will find that the people he calls
> trolls and pretends to have killfiled are responsible for posts like this:

> Richard Heathfield wrote:
> > and evaluating an array expression gives you a pointer, not an array.
> > (The only times this isn't the case are sizeof and "address of" - i.e.
> > sizeof arrname and &arrname.)

> You missed a third case, Dicky: a string literal initializing an
> array.
>
> Yours,
> Han from China
>
> Such trifles aren't victories of any kind (real C victories are producing
> the pieces of software that Jacob Navia, Paul Hsieh, and the many other
> victims of his trolling have produced), but he has built his reputation on
> this newsgroup by claiming victories for such trifles while never being able
> to produce any real C victories. For the record, I haven't produced any
> real C victories either, but at least I'm not arrogant enough to attack
> those who have.
>
> Witness the seething envy in his words:
>
> "(2) Jacob Navia's naive and aggressively hostile reaction to criticisms is
> undoubtedly behind the use of the word "paranoia". Whether Jacob Navia is
> truly paranoid is not a matter on which comp.lang.c is competent to
> decide. You need a psychiatrist for that. But for the record, I don't
> think he's paranoid. I just think he's dumb. If he wised up and learned
> how to take crits and where to post what, what he perceives as "attacks"
> would just drop away."
>
> "Anyway, all this is academic. The point you have completely missed is
> this - Jacob is damaging his reputation *here*, right here in comp.lang.c,
> and that's not a good place for a C compiler-writer to make an idiot of
> himself."
>
> "The user has learned one of three things: either he didn't read the
> lcc-win32 documentation properly, or the implementor of lcc-win32 is an
> idiot, or the implementor of lcc-win32 is malicious. A perusal of the
> documentation will determine whether it's the first. If not, then
> presumably Hanlon's Razor applies."
>
> Yours,
> Han from China
>
> --
> "Only entropy comes easy." -- Anton Chekhov

well, although both are good, but this one of you does exceed the
quality of the previous post, i gave it a 10.

softdeveloper007

On Feb 16, 1:53 am, softdeveloper007 <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> On Feb 16, 1:11 am, Han from China <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> > softdeveloper007 wrote:
> > > opinion is like asshole, everyone has one. but apparently your one
> > > exception.

> > Don't take his bait. The first half of his post is sensible advice,
> > but then he starts attacking you indirectly ("ignorant") and trying to
> > pick more fights on this newsgroup by attacking others. If you do pay
> > attention to this newsgroup, you will find that the people he calls
> > trolls and pretends to have killfiled are responsible for posts like this:

> > Richard Heathfield wrote:
> > > and evaluating an array expression gives you a pointer, not an array.
> > > (The only times this isn't the case are sizeof and "address of" - i.e.
> > > sizeof arrname and &arrname.)

> > You missed a third case, Dicky: a string literal initializing an
> > array.

> > Yours,
> > Han from China

> > Such trifles aren't victories of any kind (real C victories are producing
> > the pieces of software that Jacob Navia, Paul Hsieh, and the many other
> > victims of his trolling have produced), but he has built his reputation on
> > this newsgroup by claiming victories for such trifles while never being able
> > to produce any real C victories. For the record, I haven't produced any
> > real C victories either, but at least I'm not arrogant enough to attack
> > those who have.

> > Witness the seething envy in his words:

> > "(2) Jacob Navia's naive and aggressively hostile reaction to criticisms is
> > undoubtedly behind the use of the word "paranoia". Whether Jacob Navia is
> > truly paranoid is not a matter on which comp.lang.c is competent to
> > decide. You need a psychiatrist for that. But for the record, I don't
> > think he's paranoid. I just think he's dumb. If he wised up and learned
> > how to take crits and where to post what, what he perceives as "attacks"
> > would just drop away."

> > "Anyway, all this is academic. The point you have completely missed is
> > this - Jacob is damaging his reputation *here*, right here in comp.lang.c,
> > and that's not a good place for a C compiler-writer to make an idiot of
> > himself."

> > "The user has learned one of three things: either he didn't read the
> > lcc-win32 documentation properly, or the implementor of lcc-win32 is an
> > idiot, or the implementor of lcc-win32 is malicious. A perusal of the
> > documentation will determine whether it's the first. If not, then
> > presumably Hanlon's Razor applies."

> > Yours,
> > Han from China

> > --
> > "Only entropy comes easy." -- Anton Chekhov

> well, although both are good, but this one of you does exceed the
> quality of the previous post, i gave it a 10.

i mean, does NOT exceed...another typo, sorry

nick_keighley_nospam@hotmail.com

On 16 Feb, 09:53, softdeveloper007 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Feb 16, 1:11 am, Han from China <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
> > softdeveloper007 wrote:

> > > opinion is like asshole, everyone has one. but apparently your one
> > > exception.

I think you meant "...apparently you're one exception" or better
"...apparently you are an exception"

> > Don't take his bait. The first half of his post is sensible advice,

<snip>

> well, although both are good, but this one of you does exceed the
> quality of the previous post, i gave it a 10.

I'll be kind to you. You are a newbie if a bit foolish.

Han from China is a troll and his advice, at best, should be
treated with a pinch of salt. Few of the knowledgable regular
posters read what he posts so he gets very little critique.
It is up to you to decide, but you might get better C advice if,
well, you listened to the advice you are offered. I assume you want
to learn something about C?

softdeveloper007

On Feb 16, 2:08 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On 16 Feb, 09:53, softdeveloper007 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > On Feb 16, 1:11 am, Han from China <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:

> I think you meant "...apparently you're one exception" or better
> "...apparently you are an exception"

i meant, you got to have more than just one, otherwise it'd be beyond
explanation where all the bs came from. LOL

now, do us a favor, dump it at your own backyard if do have the urge,
ok?

softdeveloper007

On Feb 16, 2:13 am, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) writes:
> > On 16 Feb, 09:53, softdeveloper007 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > I think you meant "...apparently you're one exception" or better
> > "...apparently you are an exception"

> > <snip>

> >> well, although both are good, but this one of you does exceed the
> >> quality of the previous post, i gave it a 10.

> > I'll be kind to you. You are a newbie if a bit foolish.

> > Han from China is a troll and his advice, at best, should be
> > treated with a pinch of salt. Few of the knowledgable regular
> > posters read what he posts so he gets very little critique.
> > It is up to you to decide, but you might get better C advice if,
> > well, you listened to the advice you are offered. I assume you want
> > to learn something about C?

> You should read more of his posts. His C knowledge could buy and sell
> yours (and mine) twenty times over. He has Heathfield nailed. RH is an
> arrogant arsehole with the petulant tendencies I have frequently found
> in self righteous god botherers and ego maniacs. No one doubts his C
> knowledge. One must, however, doubt his common sense. The attacks on
> Jacob, as outlined in Han's previous post, are nothing short of
> psychotic jealousy.

hehe, i'd not hire him even he's better than jacob, his attitude
doesn't sell at all.

softdeveloper007

On Feb 16, 2:24 am, softdeveloper007 <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> On Feb 16, 2:13 am, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > (E-Mail Removed) writes:

> > > I think you meant "...apparently you're one exception" or better
> > > "...apparently you are an exception"

> > > <snip>

> > > I'll be kind to you. You are a newbie if a bit foolish.

> > > Han from China is a troll and his advice, at best, should be
> > > treated with a pinch of salt. Few of the knowledgable regular
> > > posters read what he posts so he gets very little critique.
> > > It is up to you to decide, but you might get better C advice if,
> > > well, you listened to the advice you are offered. I assume you want
> > > to learn something about C?

> > You should read more of his posts. His C knowledge could buy and sell
> > yours (and mine) twenty times over. He has Heathfield nailed. RH is an
> > arrogant arsehole with the petulant tendencies I have frequently found
> > in self righteous god botherers and ego maniacs. No one doubts his C
> > knowledge. One must, however, doubt his common sense. The attacks on
> > Jacob, as outlined in Han's previous post, are nothing short of
> > psychotic jealousy.

> hehe, i'd not hire him even he's better than jacob, his attitude
> doesn't sell at all.

and yes, you do need "attitude" not just "knowledge" to "produce".

On 16 Feb, 10:13, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) writes:
> > On 16 Feb, 09:53, softdeveloper007 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<snip stuff>

> > <snip>

> >> well, although both are good, but this one of you does exceed the
> >> quality of the previous post, i gave it a 10.

> > I'll be kind to you. You are a newbie if a bit foolish.

> > Han from China is a troll and his advice, at best, should be
> > treated with a pinch of salt. Few of the knowledgable regular
> > posters read what he posts so he gets very little critique.
> > It is up to you to decide, but you might get better C advice if,
> > well, you listened to the advice you are offered. I assume you want
> > to learn something about C?

> You should read more of his posts.

He is the only usenet poster I have ever fully plonked.
Usually I just stop responding whilst continuing to read people.
HfC I don't even read. I also don't read most of his responders
either (you, Twink and MaCormack (aplogies for spelling)).
I gathered his signal/troll ratio had improved, but life is
just so much better without him.

And my point about lack of meaningful criticism still
stands.

> His C knowledge could buy and sell
> yours (and mine) twenty times over. He has Heathfield nailed.

<snip personnel insults>

> No one doubts his C
> knowledge. One must, however, doubt his common sense. The attacks on
> Jacob, as outlined in Han's previous post, are nothing short of
> psychotic jealousy

at first I thought you talking about HfC but I see it's RH.
Yes, RH and Jacob do seem to rub each other up the wrong way.
I tend to ignore those bits. Much as I normally ignore
similar stuff from you...

--
Nick Keighley

Charlton Wilbur

sd> well, although both are good, but this one of you does exceed
sd> the quality of the previous post, i gave it a 10.

You're making a grave mistake. Richard Heathfield can be cranky, and
will scold you for violations of netiquette, but his C advice is almost
always correct. "Han from China" is affable and amiable, but will give
you bad advice intentionally.

I know which one I'd rather get advice from.

Charlton

--
Charlton Wilbur

Richard

Charlton Wilbur <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> sd> well, although both are good, but this one of you does exceed
> sd> the quality of the previous post, i gave it a 10.
>
> You're making a grave mistake. Richard Heathfield can be cranky, and
> will scold you for violations of netiquette, but his C advice is almost
> always correct. "Han from China" is affable and amiable, but will give
> you bad advice intentionally.

I will call you on that. Where is that bad advice of which you speak?