Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > 1.01 billion images in 0.632 seconds?

1.01 billion images in 0.632 seconds?

dorayme

http://tineye.com/ claims to have searched 1.01 billion images in 0.632
seconds? to find three or four pics out there that are identical to one
on my hard disk (yes, I pinched a small Roger Rabbit one ages ago ...).
Should this be believed?

Awfully nice idea this site, it was mentioned at uk.net.web.authoring in
recent thread.

--
dorayme

BootNic

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 05:17:10 -0500
Sherm Pendley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in:
<(E-Mail Removed)>

> dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> http://tineye.com/ claims to have searched 1.01 billion images
>> in 0.632 seconds? to find three or four pics out there that are
>> identical to one on my hard disk (yes, I pinched a small Roger
>> Rabbit one ages ago ...). Should this be believed?

> To find one that's *identical*, down to every single pixel? Yeah,
> that's believeable. They could calculate a hash value for each
> image as its being added to their database. When you upload your
> own image, they'd calculate its hash value. Getting a list of
> images with the same hash value as yours would then be a simple
> query on an indexed integer column - very, very fast for modern
> databases.
>
> I can't imagine them doing any more complicated matching in
> that kind of time though - no face matching, color space
> conversion, fuzzy matching, none of that sort of thing.

I have no ideal how it's done, how many images it checked, but it is
very quick.

http://<br /> http://tineye.com/sear...e2ad7896<br />

The above example appeared to take longer to upload the image then it
did to return the results.

As I think you will see, the matches are not matches, but they are
similar in part.

I find it interesting. Very nice find.

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
BootNic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 05:17:10 -0500
> Sherm Pendley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in:
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> > dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >
> >> http://tineye.com/ claims to have searched 1.01 billion images
> >> in 0.632 seconds? to find three or four pics out there that are
> >> identical to one on my hard disk (yes, I pinched a small Roger
> >> Rabbit one ages ago ...). Should this be believed?

> > To find one that's *identical*, down to every single pixel? Yeah,
> > that's believeable. They could calculate a hash value for each
> > image as its being added to their database. When you upload your
> > own image, they'd calculate its hash value. Getting a list of
> > images with the same hash value as yours would then be a simple
> > query on an indexed integer column - very, very fast for modern
> > databases.
> >
> > I can't imagine them doing any more complicated matching in
> > that kind of time though - no face matching, color space
> > conversion, fuzzy matching, none of that sort of thing.

> I have no ideal how it's done, how many images it checked, but it is
> very quick.
>
> http://<br /> > http://tineye.com/se...ad7896<br /> >
>
> The above example appeared to take longer to upload the image then it
> did to return the results.
>
> As I think you will see, the matches are not matches, but they are
> similar in part.

Yes, I am sure this is right and what Sherm says. I suppose it would not
have found a closer match (with the girl draped) had it taken more time
- after all 0.014 seconds is not much time! In which case, one can
conclude it's fairly unique an image.

Let me try with with an image I use a lot in html tests (it resizes so
well!):

<http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/pics/crimson.png>

Reply: Image too simple to create unique signature

Who can argue with that. Let me try a pic I took.

http://tineye.com/search/e7a856835a9...512a37e2467c96

There is a database of their own. If they got all the images on the
internet right now, I should work out how big their hard disk (imagine
*one*) have to be! But I will resist. <g>

--
dorayme

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In which case, one can
> conclude it's fairly unique an image.

er... that was a mistake. Their database might simply be inadequate...

--
dorayme