Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Networking speeds

Networking speeds

MC Hammer

CPU1 and CPU2 are both wireless and networked together. They run the same
program but CPU2 has to access CPU because that's where the database is. It
is extremely slow and there is a lag. How can I speed it up?

John

The least you can do is tell us your operating systems and database in
question. You didn't even mention what type of network connection you got;
wireless A/B/G/N? or wired 10/100/1000??

"MC Hammer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> CPU1 and CPU2 are both wireless and networked together. They run the same
> program but CPU2 has to access CPU because that's where the database is.
> It
> is extremely slow and there is a lag. How can I speed it up?

David B.

What wireless are you using B, G?
Best solution would be to hardwire the PC's to the network.

"MC Hammer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> CPU1 and CPU2 are both wireless and networked together. They run the same
> program but CPU2 has to access CPU because that's where the database is.
> It
> is extremely slow and there is a lag. How can I speed it up?

MC Hammer

Both are running XP Pro, wireless G.

"John" wrote:

> The least you can do is tell us your operating systems and database in
> question. You didn't even mention what type of network connection you got;
> wireless A/B/G/N? or wired 10/100/1000??
>
> "MC Hammer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > CPU1 and CPU2 are both wireless and networked together. They run the same
> > program but CPU2 has to access CPU because that's where the database is.
> > It
> > is extremely slow and there is a lag. How can I speed it up?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
While a Wireless connection that is used to surf the Internet can function
well with a transfer speed around 2Mb/sec. Local transfer of files at such a
rate would be very slow.
Wireless 802.11g at best provides 18 to 20Mb/sec. when the computers are few
feet away from the Wireless Router and their TCP/IP stacks are optimized (
Optimizing the TCP/IP Stack - http://www.ezlan.net/Internet_Speed.html ).
You have to provide much more technical data about the Wireless hardware and
environmental conditions in order to make sense of the situation.
May by some of the info that is in these pages can help.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)