Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Are Yahoo and its message boards sites down?

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: Are Yahoo and its message boards sites down?

 
 
G. Morgan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-12-2009
Ar Q wrote:

>I don't know if the problem is on my computers, my ISP earthlink
>or Yahoo.
>
>I can access other sites fine. But when I key in www.yahoo.com,
>all web browsers are waiting for m.www.yahoo.com to respond and
>dead waiting. That is weired. It has been that way for the past 5
>hours. What should I do next? Thanks.



Try going to Yahoo via the IP...
http://209.191.93.52

If that works:

Start --> Run --> type 'cmd' <enter> --> type 'ping yahoo.com' <enter>

If the pings don't get a reply you may have a DNS problem.



--

"Newspaper claims car thief transformed into a goat"
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090124/...d_goat_thief_5
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
G. Morgan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-12-2009
攸hw不f wrote:

>After using and dumping Earthlink for their filtering policies its part
>of how they do buisness. They try to shape the users "web experience".


That would be huge news if it was known EL filters web page delivery. Are you
sure?

>He'd need to use a proxy service or try another ISP with a more neutral
>stance on what customers "really want".


The OP can't get to yahoo.com, I really doubt EL blocks access to it <rolls
eyes>. Ya think?


--

"Newspaper claims car thief transformed into a goat"
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090124/...d_goat_thief_5
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mike Easter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-12-2009
G. Morgan wrote:

> The OP can't get to yahoo.com, I really doubt EL blocks access to it
> <rolls eyes>. Ya think?


(...based on my experience with EL cable nameservice.)

EL provides nameservice which is not only profit motivated, but also
fallible.

IMO One (EL cable client) should configure their nameservice better than
the default EL

.... but the OP's connectivity is covad. What does that have to do with
EL? Or its nameservice?


--
Mike Easter

 
Reply With Quote
 
G. Morgan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-12-2009
Ar Q wrote:

>
>"G. Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) valid...
>| Ar Q wrote:
>|
>| >I don't know if the problem is on my computers, my ISP
>earthlink
>| >or Yahoo.
>| >
>| >I can access other sites fine. But when I key in www.yahoo.com,
>| >all web browsers are waiting for m.www.yahoo.com to respond and
>| >dead waiting. That is weired. It has been that way for the past
>5
>| >hours. What should I do next? Thanks.
>|
>|
>| Try going to Yahoo via the IP...
>| http://209.191.93.52
>|
>| If that works:
>|
>| Start --> Run --> type 'cmd' <enter> --> type 'ping yahoo.com'
><enter>
>|
>| If the pings don't get a reply you may have a DNS problem.
>|
>
>I can ping 209.191.93.52 from cmd line but not browsers (both MS
>IE and Mozilla FireFox).


Alright, let's try to change nameservers:
Do you know how?

Pick two (I like the 4.2.2.x ones myself):

Public DNS Servers
Level 3 Communications (Broomfield, CO, US)
4.2.2.1
4.2.2.2
4.2.2.3
4.2.2.4
4.2.2.5
4.2.2.6
Verizon (Reston, VA, US)
151.197.0.38
151.197.0.39
151.202.0.84
151.202.0.85
151.202.0.85
151.203.0.84
151.203.0.85
199.45.32.37
199.45.32.38
199.45.32.40
199.45.32.43
GTE (Irving, TX, US)
192.76.85.133
206.124.64.1
One Connect IP (Albuquerque, NM, US)
67.138.54.100
OpenDNS (San Francisco, CA, US)
208.67.222.222
208.67.220.220
Exetel (Sydney, AU)
220.233.167.31
VRx Network Services (New York, NY, US)
199.166.31.3
SpeakEasy (Seattle, WA, US)
66.93.87.2
216.231.41.2
216.254.95.2
64.81.45.2
64.81.111.2
64.81.127.2
64.81.79.2
64.81.159.2
66.92.64.2
66.92.224.2
66.92.159.2
64.81.79.2
64.81.159.2
64.81.127.2
64.81.45.2
216.27.175.2
66.92.159.2
66.93.87.2
Sprintlink (Overland Park, KS, US)
199.2.252.10
204.97.212.10
204.117.214.10
Cisco (San Jose, CA, US)
64.102.255.44
128.107.241.185
--

"Newspaper claims car thief transformed into a goat"
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090124/...d_goat_thief_5
 
Reply With Quote
 
G. Morgan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-12-2009
Mike Easter wrote:

>G. Morgan wrote:
>
>> The OP can't get to yahoo.com, I really doubt EL blocks access to it
>> <rolls eyes>. Ya think?

>
>(...based on my experience with EL cable nameservice.)
>
>EL provides nameservice which is not only profit motivated, but also
>fallible.


Yeah, I read SNUH's article on that.

That does not have any bearing on the OP's problem unless EL's DNS is borked.


>
>IMO One (EL cable client) should configure their nameservice better than
>the default EL


Agreed.

>... but the OP's connectivity is covad. What does that have to do with
>EL? Or its nameservice?


Maybe he's at work?

--

"Newspaper claims car thief transformed into a goat"
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090124/...d_goat_thief_5
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Easter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-12-2009
Ar Q wrote:
> "Mike Easter"


> Right now DNS and alt DNS server on the Ethernet card to Internet
> is set "automatic".
>
> They are set to 207.69.188.185 and 207.69.188.186 on the Ethernet
> card to my LAN.


Those are EL/mindspring nameservers.

> Am I setting up these correctly? I think I should change the
> automatic Name server to something specific. What addresses should
> I change to? Thanks.


I like opendns 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

See this page https://www.opendns.com/homenetwork/start Use OpenDNS (Step
1 of 3: Change DNS settings)

Promotional pages here - http://www.opendns.com/homenetwork/solutions
Find out why millions of people have already made the switch to a better
Internet with OpenDNS.


--
Mike Easter

 
Reply With Quote
 
G. Morgan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-12-2009
Ar Q wrote:

>I have two Ethernet cards on my computer. Checking the TCP/IP
>settings:
>
>DNS and alt DNS server on the Ethernet card to Internet
>is set "automatic".


Change that to 'specify'.

>They are set to 207.69.188.185 and 207.69.188.186 on the Ethernet
>card to my LAN.
>
>What should I change the two? Thanks.


Change them to 4.2.2.1 & 4.2.2.2, they always work (for me so far). I always
use those for troubleshooting because they are so easy to remember.


--

"Newspaper claims car thief transformed into a goat"
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090124/...d_goat_thief_5
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Easter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-12-2009
Ar Q wrote:
> "Mike Easter"


>> I like opendns 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220


> Add http://www.opendns.com to the pages my browsers can't resolve
> the name.


Heh. Click this http://208.67.219.101/

Don't type it. If you type it, you might make a mistake.

I think that's (a mistake) what happened with http://209.131.36.158/

That should work if it is (just) a nameservice problem.

Things that would keep it from working would be webserver which won't
answer to that address, some kind of 'obstruction' between you and the
site.

In both of the above cases, the particular webserver will answer to that
address -and- it is more likely for you to type a mistake than to be
obstructed by your provider from accessing parts of the internet.



--
Mike Easter

 
Reply With Quote
 
攸hw不f
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-12-2009
G. Morgan wrote:
> 攸hw不f wrote:
>
>> After using and dumping Earthlink for their filtering policies its part
>> of how they do buisness. They try to shape the users "web experience".

>
> That would be huge news if it was known EL filters web page delivery. Are you
> sure?
>
>> He'd need to use a proxy service or try another ISP with a more neutral
>> stance on what customers "really want".

>
> The OP can't get to yahoo.com, I really doubt EL blocks access to it <rolls
> eyes>. Ya think?
>

Interesting how you snipped the CITE I provided detailing the issue,
cuNtFlAps.

Now go stand in the corner.


--
http://www.palindeception.com/
http://palinpics4truth.blogspot.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
攸hw不f
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-12-2009
Ar Q wrote:
> "攸hw不f" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) et...
> | G. Morgan <(E-Mail Removed)> pinched out a steaming pile
> | of<(E-Mail Removed) id>:
> |
>
> | >
> | >Try going to Yahoo via the IP...
> | >http://209.191.93.52
> | >
> | >If that works:
> | >
> | >Start --> Run --> type 'cmd' <enter> --> type 'ping yahoo.com'
> <enter>
> | >
> | >If the pings don't get a reply you may have a DNS problem.
> | >
> | After using and dumping Earthlink for their filtering policies
> its part
> | of how they do buisness. They try to shape the users "web
> experience".
> | He'd need to use a proxy service or try another ISP with a more
> neutral
> | stance on what customers "really want".
> |
>
> This is so strange. I typed in http://finance.yahoo.com on my
> browser, but the browser is waiting http://earthlink-help.com to
> respond. (And no response after 10 minutes or forever.) Is my
> computer messed up or Earthlink really filter my page request? My
> computer was OK last night. Thanks.
>

EL shapes traffic. I used them for a month and bailed out of the
contract based on my very bad experience with them.
Their tech support is in India and I have a lot of sympathy for
them...they arnt allowed to tell you whats really going on and will
always stick to the script they read from.
On the plus side they did refund my money...




--
http://www.palindeception.com/
http://palinpics4truth.blogspot.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: Are Yahoo and its message boards sites down? Brian Smith Computer Support 3 02-15-2009 01:35 AM
Re: Are Yahoo and its message boards sites down? Mike Easter Computer Support 4 02-12-2009 07:14 PM
Re: Are Yahoo and its message boards sites down? Aardvark Computer Support 0 02-12-2009 03:55 PM
Re: Are Yahoo and its message boards sites down? Bert Hyman Computer Support 0 02-12-2009 03:49 PM
YAHOO /message boards/can't get there Jack Computer Support 1 10-23-2003 04:37 PM



Advertisments