Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > ScanMaker 3600 -- SW5 can't find it !!

ScanMaker 3600 -- SW5 can't find it !!

pg

Hello again !!

First of all, I would like to express my gratitude to all the kind
folks who replied to my message yesterday.

I've fiddling with my ScanMaker 3600 and has yet to produce result.

Now the thing is, SW5 just doesn't "see" the scanner at all, although
the computer can see it.

Even the "Scanner Finder" finds my ScanMaker 3600, ditto for the
"Scanner Probe", but the SW5 (Scan Wizard 5) software just will NOT
see it no matter how I try.

Why?

I have checked the scanner through and through. It's working, as far
as I know.

When I switch on the power, the green light on the front lights up,
solid. The scanner lamp (bulb) lights up too.

So far, hardware wise, so good.

So when I plug in the USB (without going through the USB hub), my PC
sees it.

A click on the "Device Manager" and the "Imaging Devices" appears. A
click on the "Imaging Devices" and "Microtek ScanMaker 3600" appears.

A click on the "Microtek ScanMaker 3600" and the "Device Status" says
"This device is working properly.

So far, everything is telling me that the ScanMaker 3600 is working.

In the meantime, on the program tray, when I hover my cursor over the
"Scanner Finder" icon I got the "Scanner is not ready" bubble.

Click on the "Scanner Finder" and it tells me "Scanners Found" and in
the "box", I got "ScanMaer 3600: STI, ID 0" message.

Does this mean the ScanMaker 3600 is recognized by Scan Wizard 5?

NO !

A click on ScanWizard 5 and I got a little window saying "Can't find
scanners. Use Scanner Probe to find a scanner."

So I click on the "OK" button and another window comes up.

It's a "Scanner List" and YES, in the ID0 row I can see "ScanMaker
3600 Ver 1.0" there !

Does that mean the Scanner Probe can see the scanner??

I don't know.

Under the "Select the interface card", for "Still Image Device", when
I click on the "Information" button I got the following:

Interface Information

Interface Card: MS-STI
Interface ID: Still Image Device
Date Access in: Unknown
Base Address at: 0

Yes, I got ALL THE MESSAGES telling me that the scanner is there, and
it is working.

But SW5 still telling me that it CAN NOT FIND my ScanMaker 3600
scanner !!

What do I do now?

How do I make SW5 to SEE my ScanMaker 5??

Please help !!

JS

The heart of the problem:
If you connected the multi-function printer/scanner to your PC and then
installed the printer drivers/software, the chances are very high
that the printer may work but scanner function will not.

Most scanners or multi purpose printers require
that you install the software before connecting the scanner or
printer/scanner.

Step By Step Instructions:
1) Disconnect the multi-function printer or scanner.
2) Uninstall the printer/scanner software and twain drivers using
the Add/Remove programs option.
3) Look/search for folders associated with your printer/scanner model that
contain 'Twain' files, if the folder(s) still exist after the uninstall,
then delete these files and the associated folders.

Note: In the list of files that Search has found you can ignore any
files listed in:
C:\Windows
C:\Windows\system32\....
C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\.....

NOTE: In the C:\WINDOWS\twain_32 folder you may have
one or more files. The one "not to delete" is named: wiatwain.ds
(wiatwain.ds is installed by Windows XP)
Any additional files in this folder were most likely created when you
installed the printer/scanner. Check each files 'Properties' and if has the
brand of your scanner (Epson, Cannon, HP, Etc) identified as the
company/brand, those files can be safely deleted.

On my PC I have my HP scanner's twain file located in:
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Precisionscan Pro 3.1\TwainCtrl.ocx
There should be something similar on your PC, so in my case at least
I would uninstall the HP Scanner software and if that 'TwainCtrl.ocx file
is still there after uninstalling the scanner software I would delete it.
I also have a second twain file named 'Twain_32.dll' located in:
C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\PhotoRelay

4) Check Device Manager and remove any entries if necessary.
5) Create a Restore Point
6) Scan registry using the brand name/make of the scanner as key word for
search. (Delete any entries found, but be certain it's a scanner related
entry)
7) Reboot the PC and once again check Device Manager,
it should not show any listings for the printer/scanner.
Now reinstall the software and twain drivers.
9) Shutdown the PC.
10) With the PC power off, connect the printer/scanner and then
restart/boot to Windows.

Note: Sometimes it's might help if you try a different USB port if you
printer/scanner is a USB device.

One easy way to test your software installation's twain driver are working,
is to use a graphics editor named IrfanView.
http://www.irfanview.com/

If you download, install and run this software,
located in the menu bar is an option named 'File'.
On selecting the 'File' option you should find an
option (near the bottom of the list) to named:
'Select TWAIN Source', click on this option
and a popup should then display valid Twain sources
for you scanner. If you see your scanner listed,
select it, and then try to scan an object (Photo).

By selecting Twain Source from the file menu IrfanView should load
your scanner's software and then scan.

If you choose the 'Copy Shop' option also in the file menu you have the
ability to bypass your scanner's software and directly scan a photo into
IrfanView. Try the 'Copy Shop' option and let me know what happens.
Note that 'Copy Shop' will list both your scanner's Photo editing/scanning
software and the hardware name (make & model) of your scanner when
you click on Copy Shop's 'Select Twain Source' button.
You should choose the scanner's hardware option.

For instance on my PC the Photo editing/scanner software is named:
'HP Precisionscan Pro 3.1'
The second entry in Copy Shop's 'Select Twain Source' list is my scanner
make and model which shows as:
'WIA-Hewlett-Packard Scanjet 5470C 1.0'

So for me when using Copy Shop I select the second entry when
asked to select a Twain Source.
I then check the 'Show Twain Preview' box.
(I check this option so the scanned image does not go directly
to the printer, but instead is displayed in IrfanView).
Next I click the 'Start' button located a the bottom of the Copy Shop
window to start the scan.

--
JS
http://www.pagestart.com

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

pg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>A click on ScanWizard 5 and I got a little window saying "Can't find
>scanners. Use Scanner Probe to find a scanner."

You've loaded the correct twain I take it. Do this thru the
application your using.
--

BOYCOTT KELLOGS!
http://tinyurl.com/agbnz6

SUPPORT SUBWAY!
http://blogs.usatoday.com/gameon/200...-supports.html

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"JS" <@> wrote:

>NOTE: In the C:\WINDOWS\twain_32 folder

Sorry posted before I read your reply.

--

BOYCOTT KELLOGS!
http://tinyurl.com/agbnz6

SUPPORT SUBWAY!
http://blogs.usatoday.com/gameon/200...-supports.html

Aardvark

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 22:49:54 -0800, Pennywise wrote:

> BOYCOTT KELLOGS!
> http://tinyurl.com/agbnz6
>
> SUPPORT SUBWAY!
> http://blogs.usatoday.com/gameon/200...-supports.html

I didn't understand the Kellogg's thing when I read that first link
yesterday. Now I realise that this Phelps guy must appear on TV in Corn
Flakes ads or something in the States- am I correct?

I also read the page you linked containing that sheriff's C.V. The one
thing in his list of organisations that jumped out at me was the fact
that he's a freemason. I don't trust cops at the best of times but I
certainly wouldn't trust one who I knew to be a freemason.

Unless, of course, I were a freemason too

JS

No harm done, to heads are better than one.

--
JS
http://www.pagestart.com

Aardvark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 22:49:54 -0800, Pennywise wrote:
>
>> BOYCOTT KELLOGS!
>> http://tinyurl.com/agbnz6
>>
>> SUPPORT SUBWAY!
>> http://blogs.usatoday.com/gameon/200...-supports.html

>I didn't understand the Kellogg's thing when I read that first link
>yesterday. Now I realise that this Phelps guy must appear on TV in Corn
>Flakes ads or something in the States- am I correct?

Phelps big win in the Olympics were all the endorsement contracts that
would be available to him - he's not a pro and can't be paid for his
performance; endorsements make up for this.

Kelloggs took away his endorsement of their products, mayhaps his
picture on a box of cereal, and a lot of money, over pot.

Subway's support is the right thing and maybe turn around this.

I eat a lot of sandwiches for lunch, I really like "Quiznos", but for
the time being I'll be eating Subway, the two are very close together.

>I also read the page you linked containing that sheriff's C.V. The one
>thing in his list of organisations that jumped out at me was the fact
>that he's a freemason. I don't trust cops at the best of times but I
>certainly wouldn't trust one who I knew to be a freemason.

I watch the History channel and their take on Freemason's.

They use the "this is scary stuff" voice track, but I still don't know
what their about. Now certain main stream church's scare me (not
talking about scientoligest).

--

IK Project
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/u...ies/12321.html