Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Windows 7

Windows 7

Tony in Oz

Anyone using the Beta version of this? I downloaded it, although my spare
machine that i put it on,, being a 1.5 GHz machine, only has 768 MB RAM, due
to me only having sticks of 256. and its only got 3 slots on the mainboard.
Seems to run ok, although I'm yet to have a good play with it. Apparently it
only runs till Aug 1, so still gives me 5 or so months to play. Anyone else
using it? Any thoughts? Cheers

--
"Maybe I'll sell you a chicken... with poison interlaced with the meat"
-Ween, "Buenos Tardes Amigo"

Peter M

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 09:43:22 GMT, "Tony in Oz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Anyone using the Beta version of this? I downloaded it, although my spare
>machine that i put it on,, being a 1.5 GHz machine, only has 768 MB RAM, due
>to me only having sticks of 256. and its only got 3 slots on the mainboard.
>Seems to run ok, although I'm yet to have a good play with it. Apparently it
>only runs till Aug 1, so still gives me 5 or so months to play. Anyone else
>using it? Any thoughts? Cheers

Why commit suicide what its much the same as VISTA..

peterwn

On Feb 11, 10:43*pm, "Tony in Oz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Anyone using the Beta version of this? I downloaded it, although my spare
> machine that i put it on,, being a 1.5 GHz machine, only has 768 MB RAM, due
> to me only having sticks of 256. and its only got 3 slots on the mainboard.
> Seems to run ok, although I'm yet to have a good play with it. Apparently it
> only runs till Aug 1, so still gives me 5 or so months to play. Anyone else
> using it? Any thoughts? Cheers

Is W7 chock full of memory cycle and RAM grabbing software to try and
make the system resistant to digital rights hacking?

Suppose the minimum requirements are more than a P4 with 500M memory,
so I cannot test drive it.

Peter M

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 11:00:29 +1300, "Trueone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Roger there is nothing wrong with Vista. I have used it since it was
>released and have had no problems. Had it on 2 desktops and 5 laptops. On
>this laptop I tried Lunux and liked it but could not get a windows program
>to work. using wine I would have but not too familiar. will go to linux
>when a windows I dont like is released. for fun tried xp on this one and
>didnt like it so have restored vista. Vista has been as fast for me as xp
>and far more stable. I know people have had problems but not for me. Note
>I dont play games.
>
>you probably havent even used it and as usual go by what you have only read.
>Give it a try and you may be pleasantly surprised

Why would I put a Lemon in my PC, also if it smell like hit then it most be ****..

About 80 of Business don't use VISTA, seems you need to read some news..

>"Peter M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 09:43:22 GMT, "Tony in Oz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Anyone using the Beta version of this? I downloaded it, although my spare
>>>machine that i put it on,, being a 1.5 GHz machine, only has 768 MB RAM,
>>>due
>>>to me only having sticks of 256. and its only got 3 slots on the
>>>mainboard.
>>>Seems to run ok, although I'm yet to have a good play with it. Apparently
>>>it
>>>only runs till Aug 1, so still gives me 5 or so months to play. Anyone
>>>else
>>>using it? Any thoughts? Cheers

>> Why commit suicide what its much the same as VISTA..

Richard

Peter M wrote:

> Why would I put a Lemon in my PC, also if it smell like hit then it most be ****..
>
> About 80 of Business don't use VISTA, seems you need to read some news..

....what?

Stephen Worthington

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 17:21:12 +1300, Peter M <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 11:00:29 +1300, "Trueone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Roger there is nothing wrong with Vista. I have used it since it was
>>released and have had no problems. Had it on 2 desktops and 5 laptops. On
>>this laptop I tried Lunux and liked it but could not get a windows program
>>to work. using wine I would have but not too familiar. will go to linux
>>when a windows I dont like is released. for fun tried xp on this one and
>>didnt like it so have restored vista. Vista has been as fast for me as xp
>>and far more stable. I know people have had problems but not for me. Note
>>I dont play games.
>>
>>you probably havent even used it and as usual go by what you have only read.
>>Give it a try and you may be pleasantly surprised
>>

>Why would I put a Lemon in my PC, also if it smell like hit then it most be ****..

Clearly you have not been keeping up with the news then. Vista works
fine. On modern hardware. SP1 got rid of the things that turned most
people off Vista.

>About 80 of Business don't use VISTA, seems you need to read some news..

So what? Vista runs just fine on my PC and my laptop. They are
modern enough that they have what is needed to run it. If a business
was thinking of just putting Vista on existing machines that have been
around for years, then there would be bad problems. If they are
buying new machines with Vista, it will work well. But you do need at
least 1.5 Gibytes of RAM.

>>"Peter M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>> Why commit suicide what its much the same as VISTA..

Gordon

On 2009-02-12, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Peter M wrote:
>
>> Why would I put a Lemon in my PC, also if it smell like hit then it most be ****..
>>
>> About 80 of Business don't use VISTA, seems you need to read some news..

> ...what?

No. Read as in aware of what the public says about Microsoft Vista, the
once hype pumped to hell next OS.

Time has judged it fit for history. Let it go there, and we all will be able
to move on

Gordon

On 2009-02-12, Stephen Worthington <(E-Mail Removed)34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 17:21:12 +1300, Peter M <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 11:00:29 +1300, "Trueone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Roger there is nothing wrong with Vista. I have used it since it was
>>>released and have had no problems. Had it on 2 desktops and 5 laptops. On
>>>this laptop I tried Lunux and liked it but could not get a windows program
>>>to work. using wine I would have but not too familiar. will go to linux
>>>when a windows I dont like is released. for fun tried xp on this one and
>>>didnt like it so have restored vista. Vista has been as fast for me as xp
>>>and far more stable. I know people have had problems but not for me. Note
>>>I dont play games.
>>>
>>>you probably havent even used it and as usual go by what you have only read.
>>>Give it a try and you may be pleasantly surprised
>>>

>>Why would I put a Lemon in my PC, also if it smell like hit then it most be ****..

> Clearly you have not been keeping up with the news then. Vista works
> fine. On modern hardware. SP1 got rid of the things that turned most
> people off Vista.
>
>>About 80 of Business don't use VISTA, seems you need to read some news..

> So what? Vista runs just fine on my PC and my laptop. They are
> modern enough that they have what is needed to run it. If a business
> was thinking of just putting Vista on existing machines that have been
> around for years, then there would be bad problems. If they are
> buying new machines with Vista, it will work well. But you do need at
> least 1.5 Gibytes of RAM.

Time changes things. As did ASUS and Eee.

The fact, spin from MS is that 7 will require less RAM. So just like the NZ
sheep population life goes on with less RAM(s).

This VISTA, vs 7, vs XP is getting really interesting. Certainly shows that
MS has lost control of the followers wallets 100%

Mike Dee

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 05:31:15 +0000, Stephen Worthington wrote:

> If they are buying new
> machines with Vista, it will work well. But you do need at least 1.5
> Gibytes of RAM.

That's a good one. Think I'll sit it out to Win 7, then. Thanks for the
heads up

--
dee

Tony in Oz

"Mike Dee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) id...
> On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 05:31:15 +0000, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>
>> If they are buying new
>> machines with Vista, it will work well. But you do need at least 1.5
>> Gibytes of RAM.

> That's a good one. Think I'll sit it out to Win 7, then. Thanks for the
> heads up
>
> --
> dee

The installation I have seems to be running reasonably well, considering
the 768 MB RAM I have installed. There is a feature inside it which rates
how well your machine should run considering the installed hardware, and
mine is showing up as a "1"., which would appear to be not as well as at
would run with more modern hardware. The graphics card in particular is
quite old, and was never anything flash as the box I am running it on is
about 4 years old, and its last function was running a till as an XP box.,
not a very stressful existance.