Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > To you who own a computer repair service - advice please

To you who own a computer repair service - advice please

G. Morgan

I am thinking about diving in to the computer repair business. I plan to
place an advertisement or two in the local papers to get it started. I will
offer diagnostics, upgrades, system security (crapware/anti-virus), backup's,
and whatever else I can think of. I will do the work at the customer's
home/business, I will also offer a pickup/drop off service for repairs that
will take more time.

To you whom are *already* in business, can you provide any advice that will
help?

--

"Newspaper claims car thief transformed into a goat"
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090124/...d_goat_thief_5

YuStrokHeet-AlWauch

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 21:13:04 +0000, G. Morgan wrote:

> I am thinking about diving in to the computer repair business. I plan
> to place an advertisement or two in the local papers to get it started.
> I will offer diagnostics, upgrades, system security
> (crapware/anti-virus), backup's, and whatever else I can think of. I
> will do the work at the customer's home/business, I will also offer a
> pickup/drop off service for repairs that will take more time.
>
> To you whom are *already* in business, can you provide any advice that
> will help?

Word of mouth is the best advertisement/or ruin, whatever the case may be.

Keyser Sze

G. Morgan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) alid:

> I am thinking about diving in to the computer repair business. I
> plan to place an advertisement or two in the local papers to get it
> started. I will offer diagnostics, upgrades, system security
> (crapware/anti-virus), backup's, and whatever else I can think of. I
> will do the work at the customer's home/business, I will also offer a
> pickup/drop off service for repairs that will take more time.
>
> To you whom are *already* in business, can you provide any advice
> that will help?

I'm not in that business, and don't need to know jack-**** about it to know
price is key to staying profitable - your hourly rate and those who will
work for you will make your business model cost prohibitive.

--
In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties,

PeeCee

"G. Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) alid...
>I am thinking about diving in to the computer repair business. I plan to
> place an advertisement or two in the local papers to get it started. I
> will
> offer diagnostics, upgrades, system security (crapware/anti-virus),
> backup's,
> and whatever else I can think of. I will do the work at the customer's
> home/business, I will also offer a pickup/drop off service for repairs
> that
> will take more time.
>
> To you whom are *already* in business, can you provide any advice that
> will
> help?
>

> --
>
> "Newspaper claims car thief transformed into a goat"
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090124/...d_goat_thief_5

Don't!
Well not if you value your sanity and private life.

Seriously I wish you well.

* Apply all the usual business rules eg keep notes in writing, keep
receipts, pay your taxes, be polite clean & tidy, keep appointments, etc.
* Be honest, it's not your problem, it's theirs.
* Decide early on what you will and 'will not' cater for.
* Avoid pirate or dodgy licensed software full stop.
* Listen to the customer then 'Listen' again and make sure you are both on
the same path.
* Do what the customer want's not what 'you' think they should do.
* When training make the user sit in the seat and do it, that way it will
stick in their memory.
* Note what you are being asked to do and amend your tool/skill set to match
the market.
* Be prepared to be the butt of complaints for other parties.
* Develop peer group networks, you might think you're brilliant at PC's but
'nobody' knows everything about PC's

Now a little test for you:
* means tech's response.

Inwards phone call
My computer started up with funny messages this morning.
*OK what were they?
Oh something dll and all I could do was click ok and restart.
* What was the message on the screen and what were the name of the dll's
Oh I don't know, I don't understand these things, you're the computer man.
It said something about they were missing.
*And what happened when you clicked 'restart'?
Oh it's going OK now, just thought you might know what caused it and what
should I do about it.

From that conversation what steps, tests and questions would you perform/ask
to identify the problem (if there is a problem) and how would you remedy it.

The case is real, the call came in while I was typing this post.
I know the machine and have a good idea what needs to be done.
In a lot of cases though you won't know the machine, it will be 2 pm on a
Sunday, and the owner will expect you to do it 'now'.

Best
Paul.

Jm

"YuStrokHeet-AlWauch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news5nkl.236391$(E-Mail Removed)1.easynews.com...
> On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 21:13:04 +0000, G. Morgan wrote:
>
>> I am thinking about diving in to the computer repair business. I plan
>> to place an advertisement or two in the local papers to get it started.
>> I will offer diagnostics, upgrades, system security
>> (crapware/anti-virus), backup's, and whatever else I can think of. I
>> will do the work at the customer's home/business, I will also offer a
>> pickup/drop off service for repairs that will take more time.
>>
>> To you whom are *already* in business, can you provide any advice that
>> will help?

> Word of mouth is the best advertisement/or ruin, whatever the case may be.

While the above response may sound flippant, it is actually sound advice and
should be heeded by the OP. And I'll add my 2 as well. If you're not
already (successfully) doing repair and diagnostics for friends and
relatives, and if you are not receiving requests from friends of friends and
friends of relatives that you have done this for ... don't bother. A couple
of ads in a local paper or on some unknown website is not going to garner
you any business ... there has to be a demand for your services if you're
going to be successful.

Mara

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 21:13:04 +0000 (UTC), G. Morgan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am thinking about diving in to the computer repair business. I plan to
>place an advertisement or two in the local papers to get it started. I will
>offer diagnostics, upgrades, system security (crapware/anti-virus), backup's,
>and whatever else I can think of. I will do the work at the customer's
>home/business, I will also offer a pickup/drop off service for repairs that
>will take more time.
>
>To you whom are *already* in business, can you provide any advice that will
>help?

Yes. Don't.

--
"Every time I say something they find hard to hear, they chalk it up to my anger,
and never to their own fear." -- Ani DiFranco

Mike Walker

expect the unexpected

"G. Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) alid...
>I am thinking about diving in to the computer repair business. I plan to
> place an advertisement or two in the local papers to get it started. I
> will
> offer diagnostics, upgrades, system security (crapware/anti-virus),
> backup's,
> and whatever else I can think of. I will do the work at the customer's
> home/business, I will also offer a pickup/drop off service for repairs
> that
> will take more time.
>
> To you whom are *already* in business, can you provide any advice that
> will
> help?
>

> --
>
> "Newspaper claims car thief transformed into a goat"
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090124/...d_goat_thief_5

wisdomkiller & pain

PeeCee wrote:

> Inwards phone call
> My computer started up with funny messages this morning.
> *OK what were they?
> Oh something dll and all I could do was click ok and restart.
> * What was the message on the screen and what were the name of the dll's
> Oh I don't know, I don't understand these things, you're the computer man.
> It said something about they were missing.
> *And what happened when you clicked 'restart'?
> Oh it's going OK now, just thought you might know what caused it and what
> should I do about it.
>

> From that conversation what steps, tests and questions would you
> perform/ask to identify the problem (if there is a problem) and how would
> you remedy it.

Standard advice (without further knowledge) would be "insert your windows
install cd and type "sfc /scannow" in the "run" line.

> The case is real, the call came in while I was typing this post.
> I know the machine and have a good idea what needs to be done.
> In a lot of cases though you won't know the machine, it will be 2 pm on a
> Sunday, and the owner will expect you to do it 'now'.

At least it will keep him busy for a while ...

wisdomkiller & pain

G. Morgan wrote:

> I am thinking about diving in to the computer repair business. I plan to
> place an advertisement or two in the local papers to get it started. I
> will offer diagnostics, upgrades, system security (crapware/anti-virus),
> backup's,
> and whatever else I can think of. I will do the work at the customer's
> home/business, I will also offer a pickup/drop off service for repairs
> that will take more time.
>
> To you whom are *already* in business, can you provide any advice that
> will help?

Repairing cheap-shop computers hardware-wise won't cover your costs (it
will be cheaper to buy a new one, for the client). Professionals already
have their trusted partners and data-recovery shops, and it will be hard
for you to get into business with them. The remainder (fubared cheap-shop
computers that need recovery and reinstall, but with saving private data)
are too time-consuming to gain profit.
Do not expect you can repair much onsite. It will cost too much time just
waiting. Noone can pay your time for that.
You have to take most computers to the shop to be able to do simultanous
work.

why?

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 21:13:04 +0000 (UTC), G. Morgan wrote:

>I am thinking about diving in to the computer repair business. I plan to

Aim somewhere else, it's safer.

>place an advertisement or two in the local papers to get it started. I will

Do it the other way around. Find some place already doing this type of
work, get a job, and learn.

>offer diagnostics, upgrades, system security (crapware/anti-virus), backup's,
>and whatever else I can think of. I will do the work at the customer's

It's the whatever that gets you in trouble.

>home/business, I will also offer a pickup/drop off service for repairs that

Working on site, ditto.

>will take more time.

If you already said you have know DOS/CMD line, WIN version desktop +
servers + everything else including building your own PCs, then go for
it, otherwise ....

>To you whom are *already* in business, can you provide any advice that will
>help?

..... don't.

Me