Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Re: Chuck Falconer shows a use for casting with malloc()

Re: Chuck Falconer shows a use for casting with malloc()

Kenny McCormack

In article <(E-Mail Removed) t>,
Han from China <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>[From thread "c to c++"]
>
>Yes, Chucky, but that can be argued the other way as well.
>
>What if you're working on a large team and you don't want someone
>coming along and changing int *x to long *x? At least with the cast,
>the compiler can pick up on the possible introduction of a bug.
>
>You don't even have to be working on a large team.

You make an excellent point. This whole casting malloc thing reminds me
so much of religious thought - which is reasoning backwards, from
conclusion to premises. That is, you start out with what you "know" to
be true, and then construct an argument to prove it.

Another way to think of this is that, say all the CLC regs got together
and decided that "not casting" was the right answer. In truth, they may
well have figured that "not casting" was 55% right (and that casting was
45% right). But then, having arrived at this conclusion, they then
decide that, therefore "not casting" is THE RIGHT ANSWER and they then
construct all their arguments to prove that "not casting" is 100% (when,
in fact, it is only 55%).

Kenny McCormack

In article <(E-Mail Removed) t>,
Han from China <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Kenny McCormack wrote:
>> You make an excellent point. This whole casting malloc thing reminds me
>> so much of religious thought - which is reasoning backwards, from
>> conclusion to premises. That is, you start out with what you "know" to
>> be true, and then construct an argument to prove it.

>Kuhn described the possible inertia present in scientific thought before
>paradigm shifts occur. I think he placed that inertia on the order
>of a few decades tops, so there's a glimmer of hope for this newsgroup
>for some posters. As for the religious, well, they're a lost cause, since
>it would appear that even a couple of thousand years isn't enough.

Indeed. Good point about the couple of thousand years.

(Just in case it wasn't clear to some of the lunkheads that I really was
referring to religion in the sense of religion, not in the metaphorical
sense in which that word is sometimes bandied about in technical
discussions)

Randy Howard

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 19:00:16 -0600, Han from China wrote
(in article <(E-Mail Removed) t>):

> Kenny McCormack wrote:
>> You make an excellent point. This whole casting malloc thing reminds me
>> so much of religious thought - which is reasoning backwards, from
>> conclusion to premises. That is, you start out with what you "know" to
>> be true, and then construct an argument to prove it.

> Kuhn described the possible inertia present in scientific thought before
> paradigm shifts occur. I think he placed that inertia on the order
> of a few decades tops, so there's a glimmer of hope for this newsgroup
> for some posters. As for the religious, well, they're a lost cause, since
> it would appear that even a couple of thousand years isn't enough.
>
> Yours,
> Han from China

Haven't read this newsgroup regularly (or any other) in quite a
while, but this is quite clearly nilgewater via a "nymshift". I
suspect I'm not the only one to notice this?

Keith Thompson

Randy Howard <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 19:00:16 -0600, Han from China wrote
> (in article <(E-Mail Removed) t>):

[...]
> Haven't read this newsgroup regularly (or any other) in quite a
> while, but this is quite clearly nilgewater via a "nymshift". I
> suspect I'm not the only one to notice this?

It's been discussed; as I recall, the conclusion was that it's
unlikely.

"Han from China" is a particularly persistent troll. The best
solution I've found is to ignore him as much as possible. His
trolling prompted me to start using a killfile for the first time.

Nokia

Eric Sosman

Randy Howard wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 19:00:16 -0600, Han from China wrote
>>

> Haven't read this newsgroup regularly (or any other) in quite a
> while, but this is quite clearly nilgewater via a "nymshift". I
> suspect I'm not the only one to notice this?

That hypothesis occurred to me a few months ago, and I
wondered (only idly) whether textual analysis and/or timestamp
analysis would reveal any hard-to-dismiss coincidences. But
it's easier just to plonk him/her/them all than to fret about
the genesis of goniffs.

--
Eric Sosman
(E-Mail Removed)lid

CBFalconer

Randy Howard wrote:
> Han from China wrote
>> Kenny McCormack wrote:
>>
>>> ... nothing of interest ...

>> ... nothing of interest ...

> Haven't read this newsgroup regularly (or any other) in quite a
> while, but this is quite clearly nilgewater via a "nymshift". I
> suspect I'm not the only one to notice this?

Han and McCormack are pure trolls. Just PLONK them.

Try the download section.

Kenny McCormack

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>Randy Howard <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 19:00:16 -0600, Han from China wrote
>> (in article <(E-Mail Removed) t>):

>[...]
>> Haven't read this newsgroup regularly (or any other) in quite a
>> while, but this is quite clearly nilgewater via a "nymshift". I
>> suspect I'm not the only one to notice this?

>It's been discussed; as I recall, the conclusion was that it's
>unlikely.
>
>"Han from China" is a particularly persistent troll. The best
>solution I've found is to ignore him as much as possible. His
>trolling prompted me to start using a killfile for the first time.

Quibble: Mental "killfile".

Randy, it has been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that very few people
here can actually be using killfiles (in the sense in which that term is
usually understood). KT isn't one of them.

HfC can provide you with the (short) list.