Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Creating email input to hidden address.

Reply
Thread Tools

Creating email input to hidden address.

 
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-14-2009
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
John Hosking <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Raymond Schmit wrote:


> >
> > To avoid this your email-adress can be obfuscated.

>
> It's not a guarantee for avoidance, just a still-useful means of
> reduction. Spammers can still write/use code to de-obfuscate the
> address. We're only "lucky" that spammers are too lazy to even spell
> correctly, so they haven't bothered with de-obfuscators much.


Is it too pedantic to say it is not a matter of luck but an appreciation
of the stage we are in, in an arms race with spammers?

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-14-2009
In article <AMEll.2014$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> John Hosking wrote:
>
> > Knowing that, you would have been more helpful had you not repeated
> > his actual address here in Usenet.

>
> Has this whining something to do with the topic of this group?
>
> If you don't want to disclose even your own email address, as the Usenet
> protocol requires, you have the option of staying out of Usenet. It would be
> a better contribution than whining and off-topic postings.


There are a range of offences on earth. Not providing an email is way
lower than unnecessarily revealing someone else's. As for a criminal
like JH complaining about a different crime by someone else, there is
plenty of precedent. Pedophiles are loathed by many otherwise ruthless
thieves and murderers.

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
John Hosking
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-15-2009
Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> John Hosking wrote:
>
>> Knowing that, you would have been more helpful had you not repeated
>> his actual address here in Usenet.

>
> Has this whining something to do with the topic of this group?


No, not really; it's more about netiquette and education of fellow posters.

Wait a minute: you don't mean to imply that providing advice,
corrections, or admonishments about how (not) to post in a group is
always OT and therefore to be avoided in every case, do you? Like when
somebody full-quotes? Or top-posts? Is such whining OT in your view?

>
> If you don't want to disclose even your own email address, as the Usenet
> protocol requires, you have the option of staying out of Usenet. It
> would be a better contribution than whining and off-topic postings.


I believe my address to be disclosed fully enough for any reasonable NG
reader to make use of, supposing they thought me worthy of contacting by
e-mail in the first place, while avoiding the spam I used to get before
munging my From: header. Someday I may take the plunge and use an
unmunged address in my Reply-To: and see what I get.

>
> ObHTML: I have even seen web pages that refuse to disclose the most
> important contact information, an e-mail address, as text, yet contain
> it in a mailto: URL (the most obvious place for harvesters to pick them
> up). Clueless "spam protection" is a great way to protect yourself from
> contacts from prospective customers.
>


Interesting enough, but that doesn't seem to be what either the OP or
Raymond Schmit were suggesting. OP wanted a form instead of a mailto:
link, Raymond offered encodings of the mailto: targets (and "mailto:"
itself). The addresses could still be easily accessible to all with such
suggestions, no?


--
John
Trying to combat cluelessness in my own insignificant way.
 
Reply With Quote
 
John Hosking
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-15-2009
dorayme wrote:
> In article <AMEll.2014$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>
>> If you don't want to disclose even your own email address, as the Usenet
>> protocol requires, you have the option of staying out of Usenet. It would be
>> a better contribution than whining and off-topic postings.

>
> There are a range of offences on earth. Not providing an email is way
> lower than unnecessarily revealing someone else's. As for a criminal
> like JH complaining about a different crime by someone else, there is
> plenty of precedent. Pedophiles are loathed by many otherwise ruthless
> thieves and murderers.
>


Ouch.

I think you are projecting your Australian heritage on others again. Or,
uh, do you have access to my police record?

--
John
Great. Now I have to move and change my name *again*.
 
Reply With Quote
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-15-2009
In article <4997a33a$(E-Mail Removed)>,
John Hosking <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> dorayme wrote:

....
> uh, do you have access to my police record?


Kompleet ackcess to all ze records!

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
Raymond Schmit
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-16-2009
On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 18:39:22 +0100, John Hosking
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Raymond Schmit wrote:
>> On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 11:56:24 -0800, DLU <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>[...]
>>> http://home.surewest.net/bikesac/bikesac/

>>
>> i see on your page:
>> <a href="mailto:<David Underwood>(E-Mail Removed)">
>>
>> Your mailadress can be picked by a robot .....he can take it and place
>> it in a mailing list for spammers

>
>Knowing that, you would have been more helpful had you not repeated his
>actual address here in Usenet. Now his address is recorded in
>GoogleGroups and other archives for all posterity. I have munged his
>address a bit above, as an example of what you might have done in your post.
>


You are true ..... I just discovered this bad action, just after
hitting the "transmit" key ....
...Apologies for my inadvertance
 
Reply With Quote
 
DLU
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-16-2009
John Hosking wrote:
> Raymond Schmit wrote:
>> On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 11:56:24 -0800, DLU <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

> [...]
>>> http://home.surewest.net/bikesac/bikesac/

>>
>> i see on your page:
>> <a href="mailto:<David Underwood>(E-Mail Removed)">
>>
>> Your mailadress can be picked by a robot .....he can take it and place
>> it in a mailing list for spammers

>
> Knowing that, you would have been more helpful had you not repeated his
> actual address here in Usenet. Now his address is recorded in
> GoogleGroups and other archives for all posterity. I have munged his
> address a bit above, as an example of what you might have done in your
> post.


Fortunately the sierraclub.org address is protected by Barracuda.
>
> Note that in Usenet, David posts with a different addy. I don't know if
> it's valid or, if valid, whether he has access to the mailbox (or
> somebody else deals with the spam sent there). Either way, it is
> reasonable to assume he doesn't want the address you quoted to be, um,
> quoted.


The http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) is a valid address that the ISP owner uses to help
build his filters. Steve Sobol the owner is a long time anti spam
activist. If any of you are in his area and need a good ISP with god
anti spam protection, you might contact him, stever at justthe dot net.
>
>>


Thanks for the concern. However that is one reason I want to be able to
put the addresses in the server, and get them off the site.


***************************************
* This is the Spammish Inquisition *
* Not Lumber Cartel Unit 75 [TINLC] *
* I am not SPEWS.ORG *
***************************************
 
Reply With Quote
 
Raymond Schmit
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-16-2009
On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 13:05:32 -0800, DLU <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:


>
>Thanks for the concern. However that is one reason I want to be able to
>put the addresses in the server, and get them off the site.
>


You may create a form while the submit button starts a php page where
a mail is sent to your mailbox. Your mialadress is used by the php
coding without being present on the website.
 
Reply With Quote
 
DLU
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-16-2009
Raymond Schmit wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 13:05:32 -0800, DLU <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>> Thanks for the concern. However that is one reason I want to be able to
>> put the addresses in the server, and get them off the site.
>>

>
> You may create a form while the submit button starts a php page where
> a mail is sent to your mailbox. Your mialadress is used by the php
> coding without being present on the website.


That is what I want to do. I just have not figured out how for now.
I can start a form so I guess I have to play with it for awhile.

--
***************************************
* This is the Spammish Inquisition *
* Not Lumber Cartel Unit 75 [TINLC] *
* I am not SPEWS.ORG *
***************************************
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jonathan N. Little
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-17-2009
DLU wrote:
> Raymond Schmit wrote:
>> On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 13:05:32 -0800, DLU <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>
>>> Thanks for the concern. However that is one reason I want to be able
>>> to put the addresses in the server, and get them off the site.
>>>

>>
>> You may create a form while the submit button starts a php page where
>> a mail is sent to your mailbox. Your mialadress is used by the php
>> coding without being present on the website.

>
> That is what I want to do. I just have not figured out how for now.
> I can start a form so I guess I have to play with it for awhile.
>


I showed you how, earlier in the thread.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Populate Hidden field on post back and retrieve value from Hidden Field Rick ASP .Net 3 04-13-2010 05:38 PM
Win 7 folders hidden despite 'show hidden' checked Boppy NZ Computing 10 01-23-2010 02:56 AM
How would I discover the text in a block element hidden by overflow:hidden style being set? SolarCanine Javascript 2 09-20-2005 06:27 PM
can i pass data with input text instead of input hidden? Walter ASP General 6 09-17-2004 11:16 AM
server control that will render <input type="hidden"` neverstill ASP .Net 3 01-05-2004 09:22 PM



Advertisments