Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Creating email input to hidden address.

Creating email input to hidden address.

DLU

Where can I find the form for creating the input box that you see for
sending email to someone without showing their email address?

Secondly, where can I find the instructions for creating the file that
holds those addresses, and finds the correct one when a user clicks on
the link to it.

--
***************************************
* This is the Spammish Inquisition *

DLU

--
***************************************
* This is the Spammish Inquisition *
* Not Lumber Cartel Unit 75 [TINLC] *
* I am not SPEWS.ORG *
***************************************

Raymond Schmit

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 18:00:42 -0800, DLU <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>DLU wrote:
>> Where can I find the form for creating the input box that you see for
>> sending email to someone without showing their email address?

php is your freind...

>> Secondly, where can I find the instructions for creating the file that
>> holds those addresses, and finds the correct one when a user clicks on
>> the link to it.

Just start a different php page (one page per mail adress)

May be i don't understand clearly what you try to achieve ...

Jonathan N. Little

DLU wrote:
> Where can I find the form for creating the input box that you see for
> sending email to someone without showing their email address?
>
> Secondly, where can I find the instructions for creating the file that
> holds those addresses, and finds the correct one when a user clicks on
> the link to it.

If understand you correctly, on form use some TOKEN for each recipient

<select name="recipient">
<option value="moe">Moe</option>
<option value="larry">Larry</option>
<option value="curly">Curly</option>
</select>

Then in receiving *server-side* script link token with email...

switch( $_POST['recipient'] ){
case 'moe':
$to='(E-Mail Removed)';
break;
case 'larry':
$to='(E-Mail Removed)';
break;
case 'curly':
$to='(E-Mail Removed)';
break;
default:
//hacking attempt
$to='(E-Mail Removed)';
ReportToAdmin();
}

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

DLU

Raymond Schmit wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 18:00:42 -0800, DLU <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> DLU wrote:
>>> Where can I find the form for creating the input box that you see for
>>> sending email to someone without showing their email address?
>>>

> php is your freind...
>
>>> Secondly, where can I find the instructions for creating the file that
>>> holds those addresses, and finds the correct one when a user clicks on
>>> the link to it.

> Just start a different php page (one page per mail adress)
>

> May be i don't understand clearly what you try to achieve ...

At present I am using mailto: Wen you click on it it brings up the email
address. If the site is not behind a firewall the addresses are open to
web crawlers. Fortunately my main site is behind a firewall but several
of the people who are listed as contacts have expressed concern. When
you go to many sites and want to email someone, you get a box that says
send email to: with a name but no email address showing. Instead you
fill out the form and submit it.

http://home.surewest.net/bikesac/bikesac/

--
***************************************
* This is the Spammish Inquisition *
* Not Lumber Cartel Unit 75 [TINLC] *
* I am not SPEWS.ORG *
***************************************

dorayme

In article <b0135$4995d068$439f9013$(E-Mail Removed)>,
DLU <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> At present I am using mailto:

btw, if forms are too hard for you or you are not happy somehow with
them, you can get a fair bit of relief from spam by using a munger. Here
is one:

<http://www.addressmunger.com/>

--
dorayme

Raymond Schmit

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 11:56:24 -0800, DLU <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Raymond Schmit wrote:

>> php is your freind...

>> Just start a different php page (one page per mail adress)
>>

>> May be i don't understand clearly what you try to achieve ...
>>

>At present I am using mailto: Wen you click on it it brings up the email
>address. If the site is not behind a firewall the addresses are open to
>web crawlers. Fortunately my main site is behind a firewall but several
>of the people who are listed as contacts have expressed concern. When
>you go to many sites and want to email someone, you get a box that says
>send email to: with a name but no email address showing. Instead you
>fill out the form and submit it.
>
>http://home.surewest.net/bikesac/bikesac/

i see on your page:

Your mailadress can be picked by a robot .....he can take it and place
it in a mailing list for spammers

To avoid this your email-adress can be obfuscated.

You may have alook at:
http://www.fingerlakesbmw.org/main/flobfuscate.php
or
http://www.codehouse.com/webmaster_t...il_obfuscator/

all found with:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...5&oq=obfuscate

Raymond Schmit

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 08:51:21 +1100, dorayme
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <b0135$4995d068$439f9013$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> DLU <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> At present I am using mailto:

>btw, if forms are too hard for you or you are not happy somehow with
>them, you can get a fair bit of relief from spam by using a munger. Here
>is one:
>
><http://www.addressmunger.com/>

VERY good ....

John Hosking

Raymond Schmit wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 11:56:24 -0800, DLU <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[...]
>> http://home.surewest.net/bikesac/bikesac/

> i see on your page:
>
> Your mailadress can be picked by a robot .....he can take it and place
> it in a mailing list for spammers

Knowing that, you would have been more helpful had you not repeated his
actual address here in Usenet. Now his address is recorded in
GoogleGroups and other archives for all posterity. I have munged his
address a bit above, as an example of what you might have done in your post.

Note that in Usenet, David posts with a different addy. I don't know if
it's valid or, if valid, whether he has access to the mailbox (or
somebody else deals with the spam sent there). Either way, it is
reasonable to assume he doesn't want the address you quoted to be, um,
quoted.

> To avoid this your email-adress can be obfuscated.

It's not a guarantee for avoidance, just a still-useful means of
reduction. Spammers can still write/use code to de-obfuscate the
address. We're only "lucky" that spammers are too lazy to even spell
correctly, so they haven't bothered with de-obfuscators much.

--
John
Wenn du siehst was ich meine...

Jukka K. Korpela

John Hosking wrote:

> Knowing that, you would have been more helpful had you not repeated
> his actual address here in Usenet.

Has this whining something to do with the topic of this group?

If you don't want to disclose even your own email address, as the Usenet
protocol requires, you have the option of staying out of Usenet. It would be
a better contribution than whining and off-topic postings.

ObHTML: I have even seen web pages that refuse to disclose the most
important contact information, an e-mail address, as text, yet contain it in
a mailto: URL (the most obvious place for harvesters to pick them up).
Clueless "spam protection" is a great way to protect yourself from contacts
from prospective customers.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/