Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > dsl with linksys

dsl with linksys

=?Utf-8?B?bG0=?=

hello,
I signed up with Verizon dsl connection. The problem that I am having is
that all of my computers (4) have linksys cards. I have a linksys access
point wireless router.

I received a wireless router from Verizon and I can't connect ot Internet. I
called their customer service and the couldn't resolved the problem, they
want me to get rid of my Linksys router and cards.

Please help.
thank you.

Clark

Why don't you take the Linksys out of the loop until you establish the
internet connection. Then, once you know at least that part works, you can
change things one a time to see if the connection remains. Don't put any
connection software on your computer yet, because WinXP can do PPPoE and
probably so can the modem. Sometimes, you even have a modem and a router
that do PPPoE, but they can't both be doing it at the same time.

Sometimes it is good to have at least one wired connection so you can bypass
the wireless problems.

Clark

"lm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> hello,
> I signed up with Verizon dsl connection. The problem that I am having is
> that all of my computers (4) have linksys cards. I have a linksys access
> point wireless router.
>
> I received a wireless router from Verizon and I can't connect ot Internet.
> called their customer service and the couldn't resolved the problem, they
> want me to get rid of my Linksys router and cards.
>
> Please help.
> thank you.

=?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXNQ?=

I think Verizon supplied a "gateway" (DSL modem built into a router) and if
that's the case you've essentially got two wireless networks but it's tough
to make one access point talk to another ... sort of creating a "repeater"
and that's the problem. The first thing I'd do is call Verizon Customer
Service and request a plain old DSL modem ... if that's not possible, you've
got a couple options: use their gateway as your router, or reconfigure their
gateway to work with your router.

A call to Verizon's tech support should help determine if their gateway is a
"capable" substitute for your Linksys router, if so that's an easy solution.
But if you'd rather keep your gear then you'll have to perform a few steps to
reconfigure their gateway: Basically, you're trying to strip the gateway down
to just it's modem functions.

1) Connect an ethernet cable from the gateway to your system

2) Log into the "setup" mode of the gateway and disable any features that
would be duplicated by your Linksys router (wireless access point, firewall,
PPPoE, DHCP, etc.) ... note these settings as you'll use them later.

3) Connect the gateway to your Linksys' WAN port with an ethernet cable

4) Connect your system to your Linksys router with an ethernet cable

5) Log into the "setup" mode of your Linksys router and configure it as
required for Verizon access (use the settings from the gateway) and be sure
to disable any features that would be duplicated (any you chose to use on the
gateway.)

6) Test Internet access, etc. and if everythings OK configure your wireless
adapters (if necessary.)

PLS NOTE: I have not performed this work around but I believe it should work
.... if someone out there can see a problem (or an easier fix) please jump in!!

"lm" wrote:

> hello,
> I signed up with Verizon dsl connection. The problem that I am having is
> that all of my computers (4) have linksys cards. I have a linksys access
> point wireless router.
>
> I received a wireless router from Verizon and I can't connect ot Internet. I
> called their customer service and the couldn't resolved the problem, they
> want me to get rid of my Linksys router and cards.
>
> Please help.
> thank you.

=?Utf-8?B?bG0=?=

James,
You are correct. Now I am facing problem connecting connecting my computer
that is located in the basemant....I think the signal is not strong as it
should be.

"JamesP" wrote:

> I think Verizon supplied a "gateway" (DSL modem built into a router) and if
> that's the case you've essentially got two wireless networks but it's tough
> to make one access point talk to another ... sort of creating a "repeater"
> and that's the problem. The first thing I'd do is call Verizon Customer
> Service and request a plain old DSL modem ... if that's not possible, you've
> got a couple options: use their gateway as your router, or reconfigure their
> gateway to work with your router.
>
> A call to Verizon's tech support should help determine if their gateway is a
> "capable" substitute for your Linksys router, if so that's an easy solution.
> But if you'd rather keep your gear then you'll have to perform a few steps to
> reconfigure their gateway: Basically, you're trying to strip the gateway down
> to just it's modem functions.
>
> 1) Connect an ethernet cable from the gateway to your system
>
> 2) Log into the "setup" mode of the gateway and disable any features that
> would be duplicated by your Linksys router (wireless access point, firewall,
> PPPoE, DHCP, etc.) ... note these settings as you'll use them later.
>
> 3) Connect the gateway to your Linksys' WAN port with an ethernet cable
>
> 4) Connect your system to your Linksys router with an ethernet cable
>
> 5) Log into the "setup" mode of your Linksys router and configure it as
> required for Verizon access (use the settings from the gateway) and be sure
> to disable any features that would be duplicated (any you chose to use on the
> gateway.)
>
> 6) Test Internet access, etc. and if everythings OK configure your wireless
> adapters (if necessary.)
>
> PLS NOTE: I have not performed this work around but I believe it should work
> ... if someone out there can see a problem (or an easier fix) please jump in!!
>
> "lm" wrote:
>
> > hello,
> > I signed up with Verizon dsl connection. The problem that I am having is
> > that all of my computers (4) have linksys cards. I have a linksys access
> > point wireless router.
> >
> > I received a wireless router from Verizon and I can't connect ot Internet. I
> > called their customer service and the couldn't resolved the problem, they
> > want me to get rid of my Linksys router and cards.
> >
> > Please help.
> > thank you.

=?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXNQ?=

Wireless signals can have trouble passing through multiple walls/flooring as
it's likely to encounter going from upper floors to the basement ... you can
try moving the router or if possible repositioning the antenna of the
basement system. Also, some wireless adapters allow you to upgrade their
antenna. I've read that you may be able to get increased "range" by
decreasing the "throughgput" bandwidth (54 Mbps reduced to 24 Mbps, etc.)

I'm interested to know how you decided to solve your problem with Verizon
.... are you using their gateway as your router/AP?

"lm" wrote:

> James,
> You are correct. Now I am facing problem connecting connecting my computer
> that is located in the basemant....I think the signal is not strong as it
> should be.
>
> "JamesP" wrote:
>
> > I think Verizon supplied a "gateway" (DSL modem built into a router) and if
> > that's the case you've essentially got two wireless networks but it's tough
> > to make one access point talk to another ... sort of creating a "repeater"
> > and that's the problem. The first thing I'd do is call Verizon Customer
> > Service and request a plain old DSL modem ... if that's not possible, you've
> > got a couple options: use their gateway as your router, or reconfigure their
> > gateway to work with your router.
> >
> > A call to Verizon's tech support should help determine if their gateway is a
> > "capable" substitute for your Linksys router, if so that's an easy solution.
> > But if you'd rather keep your gear then you'll have to perform a few steps to
> > reconfigure their gateway: Basically, you're trying to strip the gateway down
> > to just it's modem functions.
> >
> > 1) Connect an ethernet cable from the gateway to your system
> >
> > 2) Log into the "setup" mode of the gateway and disable any features that
> > would be duplicated by your Linksys router (wireless access point, firewall,
> > PPPoE, DHCP, etc.) ... note these settings as you'll use them later.
> >
> > 3) Connect the gateway to your Linksys' WAN port with an ethernet cable
> >
> > 4) Connect your system to your Linksys router with an ethernet cable
> >
> > 5) Log into the "setup" mode of your Linksys router and configure it as
> > required for Verizon access (use the settings from the gateway) and be sure
> > to disable any features that would be duplicated (any you chose to use on the
> > gateway.)
> >
> > 6) Test Internet access, etc. and if everythings OK configure your wireless
> > adapters (if necessary.)
> >
> > PLS NOTE: I have not performed this work around but I believe it should work
> > ... if someone out there can see a problem (or an easier fix) please jump in!!
> >
> > "lm" wrote:
> >
> > > hello,
> > > I signed up with Verizon dsl connection. The problem that I am having is
> > > that all of my computers (4) have linksys cards. I have a linksys access
> > > point wireless router.
> > >
> > > I received a wireless router from Verizon and I can't connect ot Internet. I
> > > called their customer service and the couldn't resolved the problem, they
> > > want me to get rid of my Linksys router and cards.
> > >
> > > Please help.
> > > thank you.

=?Utf-8?B?bG0=?=

I have linksys signal booster. I'll se if that works